NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kenyan Drake 2017 Season Outlook

Another guy i've been looking at since Ajayi has such a tough downhill running style that doesn't exactly go well for someone with knee issues. The season hasn't even started and he's already injured, i just have a hard time seeing him go all 16 games. After following Omar Kelly on twitter for the past week, it seems the Alabama running back has passed Damien Williams on the depth chart. They now see him as a 3 down back if Ajayi was to ever miss time.

With Ajayi not practicing, Drake has gotten time with the Dolphins first-team offense. Drake has demonstrated his catching ability out of the backfield as well as his solid rushing skills.

Dolphins head coach Adam Gase believes Drake has gotten better because of the more opportunities he has received during training camp.

"The more reps he can get, the better,” Gase said. “Last year, we were kind of in and out in the spring. We had so much work to do with Jay (Ajayi) and then Arian (Foster) was here and Damien (Williams), and he kind of got lost in the shuffle a little bit. So being able to get him as many reps as we can is valuable for us and just getting him comfortable and understanding how everything works with the run game, where he fits, where he’s supposed to go. The reps for him are very, very important.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy has been all but forgotten about and I really like his talent.   Dolphins spent a high 3rd round pick last year on him and he was working with the 1st team with Ajayi's concussion.  Ajayi didn't really seem to be Gase's guy when he got there last year and he might have a short leash if he isn't producing. 

He is a great height/weight/speed prospect and I can see some elusiveness and patience in his game. Pretty good receiver as well.  

I REALLY like him as a bench stash and a possible off the radar breakout candidate. 

Edited by PolarBear
1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

This guy has been all but forgotten about and I really like his talent.   Dolphins spent a high 3rd round pick last year on him and he was working with the 1st team with Ajayi's concussion.  Ajayi didn't really seem to be Gase's guy when he got there last year and he might have a short leash if he isn't producing. 

Well it is true that he didn't travel with the team for game one, the entire offence was based on Ajayi once he was the starter, I think he has a long leash. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mad Scientist said:

"Speaking Thursday, Dolphins coach Adam Gase said Jay Ajayi has been dealing with knee soreness "for a while," but that it's "not a big issue."

Um, time to prospect on Kenyon Drake?

I've already added him as an Ajayi owner. 

16 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Are we confident Drake is the guy to take over for Ajayi if he goes out? Ajayi was my first round pick. (It's ok, I picked up Jordy in the 2nd) I might seriously handcuff him

I can't say I'm confident even though people have been talking Drake up. He has never been lead back even in college. But, if I was going to cuff Ajayi I'd pick him based on upside. I think we pretty much know what Williams is capable of.

Is ajayi injury serious? I'm a huge fan of drake. I truly believe if ajayi didn't beat him to the punch last year that drake would have showed out and cemented himself as a lead back as well. 

This dude is a baller... Too bad ajayi put balled him first. 

Y'all seriously think ajayi might miss time though? These reports sound like nothing reports to me. Doesn't everyone's knee get sore eventually when you work out a lot? 

6 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Is ajayi injury serious? I'm a huge fan of drake. I truly believe if ajayi didn't beat him to the punch last year that drake would have showed out and cemented himself as a lead back as well. 

This dude is a baller... Too bad ajayi put balled him first. 

Y'all seriously think ajayi might miss time though? These reports sound like nothing reports to me. Doesn't everyone's knee get sore eventually when you work out a lot? 

As an Ajayi owner, I'm not as much worried about this report as I am him surviving 16 straight games. I just have a got feeling if I don't pick up Drake, I'll be screwed. If Ajayi gets hurt and you don't own Drake, you better have a high waiver or be willing to pony up some FAAB. People are desperate for running backs.

People who are Ajayi owners who can afford the bench spot need to just pick him up.

Im a Dolphins fan so luckily I got a jump on pulling the trigger on him last week. Just had a feeling that if something were to happen to my RB1 I'd be toast without the backup.

Just pick up Drake so you don't have to toss and turn at night kicking yourself for not having him rostered if something does happen to Ajayi. That's what ultimately got me to pull the trigger.

7 minutes ago, mdw5048 said:

People who are Ajayi owners who can afford the bench spot need to just pick him up.

Im a Dolphins fan so luckily I got a jump on pulling the trigger on him last week. Just had a feeling that if something were to happen to my RB1 I'd be toast without the backup.

Just pick up Drake so you don't have to toss and turn at night kicking yourself for not having him rostered if something does happen to Ajayi. That's what ultimately got me to pull the trigger.

Exactly, sleep easier at night. Nothing worse than watching your first round pick go down on a Sunday afternoon and you start wondering who's going to replace him in your lineup. I think Drake could be an RB2 if Jay is out.

6 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Just to be clear, Williams was running as the immediate backup this summer, but by sucking so badly, Drake was promoted by the start of the season?

To me it looks like another Alfred Morris/Darren McFadden situation, where Morris may be the spell back but if there was a serious injury Darren McFadden would still be out there carrying the load.

Kenyan Drake last year averaged 5.4 YPC.

Damien Williams in 3 years in the league has averaged 3.4 ypc, 3.7 ypc, and last year 3.3 ypc. That's barely practice squad material to me.

Again, who knows, not like the coaches are going to tell us. But I know which one I wouldn't feel comfortable starting if Jay Ajayi got hurt so you'd have to think coaches look at that too.

I added him earlier in the week (Ajayi owner obviously) but I feel he is wasting a precious roster spot. I put a waiver to add AA, who was dropped earlier in my 12 team standard league. If you can afford the bench spot, I'd say keep him for the peace on mind.

51 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Just to be clear, Williams was running as the immediate backup this summer, but by sucking so badly, Drake was promoted by the start of the season?

Nah, when Ajayi went out with his concussion it was Drake that immediately stepped into his role. Williams was the exclusive third down back. Then Drake got his concussion and missed some time so Williams took that role. Once Drake came back Ajayi was back but he is the cuff in this situation. Drake had to play in the final preseason game against the Vikings, since he missed The Ravens game with his concussion, and looked great. Yeah, it was backups, but Williams' carries against backups the entire preseason were awful. 4 carries for 11 yards or 4 carries for -1. He just doesn't excel at running the ball. Drake has been drawing rave reviews all camp. Some beat writers even said he looks as good as a starter, could probably start on other teams.

Hes the one you want on your bench. If you pick up Williams you'll just be disappointed. Learned that the hard way in the past.

I'd say just reading this thread is enough to confirm he'd be the main guy if something befalls JA.

Like many, I question how JA can withstand these heavy workloads? Esp with a knee condition, concussion history and his ferocious running style. It is pretty decent offense, so I think it makes the Drake a very nice lotto ticket stash in deep leagues.

People might act like they know the answer but nobody really does. It seemed like Breida was the handcuff to Hyde and would absorb most of the work but in the short time Hyde was out that seemed like an even split. Same could happen here, or one guy could shoulder the load. If I was going to roster a Miami backup though I'd take Drake just on upside. I feel like we've seen what Williams can do and he's nothing special. Maybe Drake isn't either but I want to see more.

Yeah nobody can say for certain that Drake is the clear cuff. Just seems like we basically know what Williams is and Drake did some pretty nice things, albeit in a small sample. Bottom line is that the current regime invested decent draft capital last year in Drake and inherited both JA as well as Williams.