NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kenyan Drake 2017 Season Outlook

3 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Idk if it’s the uniform or what but he kind of reminds me of Lamar Miller ... great straight line speed and all 

He should be an asset in PPR - apparently was lined up at slot/WR a ton in college 

Had to, couldnt hardly see the field behind the manimal, derrick henry. That being said he displayed excellent pass catching chops. Similar to miller but profiles more as a mckinnon clone to me. Great pass catcher who needs a little more refinement running between the tackles.

However, if the dolphins want to spread it out in 3 wide sets then Drake could kill it on screens out of the shotgun with stills and parker pressuring the defensive backfield with deep routes.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an article about Drake driving Gase nuts at times last year ... mostly do to rookie inconsistency but Gase continued to refer to him as “my guy”

I think this trade was not only to rid them of Ajayi - who Gase obviously didn’t see eye to eye with - but also for Gase to see what “his guy” can do with touches 

I hope he’s used as a receiver more - his skillset / use in college seems ideal for PPR production 

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Had to, couldnt hardly see the field behind the manimal, derrick henry. That being said he displayed excellent pass catching chops. Similar to miller but profiles more as a mckinnon clone to me. Great pass catcher who needs a little more refinement running between the tackles.

However, if the dolphins want to spread it out in 3 wide sets then Drake could kill it on screens out of the shotgun with stills and parker pressuring the defensive backfield with deep routes.

With Parker back I was thinking there’d be a lot of these offensive sets/formations ... which are perfect for Drake 

I’m sure it’s a “competition” - but Gase wants his guy to seize the opportunity ... it’s in Drake’s hands now

4 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I saw an article about Drake driving Gase nuts at times last year ... mostly do to rookie inconsistency but Gase continued to refer to him as “my guy”

I think this trade was not only to rid them of Ajayi - who Gase obviously didn’t see eye to eye with - but also for Gase to see what “his guy” can do with touches 

I hope he’s used as a receiver more - his skillset / use in college seems ideal for PPR production 

In addition to what you noted, I think it also relieves Gase on maintaining Ajayi's knees.  There's something there.

47 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I looked at his college highlights and every NFL player has college highlights.  They looked decent.  But to be honest you are right.  In college Drake showed flashes but he looked a little inexperienced.  He was forced to be a change of pace/home run threat being the 2nd back behind Derrick Henry.  But then I realized that Drake is no longer a rookie.  Why am I looking at college highlights?  I wanted to see a more recent sample.  So I found this Dolphins vs Vikings PreSeason.  This was only 2 months ago.  I saw a different Kenyan Drake than his college highlights.

1.  He's explosive.  He gets through the line with power and he's continuing his elusiveness with breaking tackles.  His first carry popped through the hole and broke an arm tackle with that spin move.

2.  His interior vision has improved.  Several plays the defender had an easy straight line tackle opportunity.  He has quick vision and sees the hole.  What he does is lead the defender thinking he's going one way, jukes, and breaks through the line with positive yards.

3.  In one carry he did a good job spinning out of arm tackle at the line of scrimmage.  But he tried to bounce outside and got caught losing a yard.  I think he needs to improve here and just fall forward after breaking the first tackle.  These are the things I believe Gase and Drake were working on.

4.  He has success out of the shotgun.  His goal line plunge for a TD was also out of the shotgun.  He didn't try to bounce outside.  Went straight north with power and got in easily.  This made me think that he can stay in as the goal line back.  He is 6'1 212 lbs and ran a 4.44.  He's got the size and speed to be a complete back.

5.  They lined him up as a WR and he got a target.  In addition to his interior running they will use him in the passing game.  He already has this skill set coming out of college.

It was only a preseason game but I liked what I saw.  To me he has grown.  He came out of college and many labeled him as a change of pace third down back.  But to me he certainly does have the skills to be a complete back.

Edited by JediMasters

Dolphins coach Adam Gase spoke to the media on Wednesday for the first time since the Dolphins traded running back Jay Ajayi to the Eagles and offered a few explanations for why the team decided to make a move involving the running back at this point.

Gase said the team had conversations about where they wanted to go at running back down the road — Ajayi is signed through next season on his rookie deal — and has “some younger players there we felt we’re going to move forward with.” As a result, they thought it was “just time for us to move on” without their leading rusher.

i wonder who some of the younger players are that he is referring to? ?

The one he drafted in the 3rd round last year?

21 minutes ago, broncosfan18 said:

Anyone rolling him out there against Oakland? Over the likes of Gore, Stewart etc?

Over those guys?  Sure.  I don't find today's news surprising, Drake wasn't going to get 80% of the looks.  I don't think he'll produce any less than Ajayi back there (if that means anything.)

42 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

I’m going to say that this guy blows up big in prime time and a lot of people wonder why they didn’t bother picking him up.

Would make a lot of people happy. I'm going to temper expectations and expect nothing so that I'm not disappointed.

With Watson out (also had Hopkins and Fuller) I need something big so I'm starting him over CJA. With Parker healthy on the out side and the Raiders not that great the Dolphins have a chance to make this a game and Drake has a real chance to make a name for himself on Sunday night. Dolphins obviously felt confident in him which is why the gave up Ajayi for what didn't seem like the type of offer that Dolphins would accept unless they no longer wanted Ajayi. That could have to do with his health and other factors but I'm going to close my ears and hope its cause they believed in this dude. 

13 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I’m feeling at least 1 long TD run ... this guy is electric if he gets a hole to run through ... 

Raiders fans wanting to start him, also a good sign

Also, I have no better options. 

It's clear you have no better options, nothing merits calling him electric, yet, never had a chance in the pros, total crapshoot, that's it

im electric if I get a hole to run through, even with a case of colors light in me, that statement has no merit

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins
7 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

With Watson out (also had Hopkins and Fuller) I need something big so I'm starting him over CJA. With Parker healthy on the out side and the Raiders not that great the Dolphins have a chance to make this a game and Drake has a real chance to make a name for himself on Sunday night. Dolphins obviously felt confident in him which is why the gave up Ajayi for what didn't seem like the type of offer that Dolphins would accept unless they no longer wanted Ajayi. That could have to do with his health and other factors but I'm going to close my ears and hope its cause they believed in this dude. 

Over CJA isn't that big of a stretch. 3 way RBBC. Going against a good defense. Broncos offense in shambles. Osweiler playing. At least the unknown of Drake is more interesting since you can imagine almost whatever you want. 

6 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

It's clear you have no better options, nothing merits calling him electric, yet, never had a chance in the pros, total crapshoot, that's it

im electric if I get a hole to run through, even with a case of colors light in me, that statement has no merit

Sick burn? I was referring more to his speed / impressive TDs on limited touches since his been in the league / college ... certainly more “electric” than Williams - with you’re OC once calling him the fastest man he’s ever seen (until Tyreek Hill) and your head coach saying the Ajayi trade had a lot to do with seeing what the young guy could do ... I wonder who he was referring to