NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kenyan Drake 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Damn Yankee said:

I agree...I just don't think he's going to be the next Derrick McKinnon or Adrian Peterson...someone who takes over and solely owns the role.  He will provide some solid value yes.

Maybe a better comparison of Drake/Williams would be Powell/Forte.

I dont expect anywhere near that type of volume and production but it looks like he could provide low end RB2/flex type production the rest of the year.

6 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

It was definitely interesting that he played almost every down in the 4th quarter, or those last two series anyway. Who knows what the reasoning was.

He's the more dynamic and explosive player.  Could really be that simple.

20 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

It was definitely interesting that he played almost every down in the 4th quarter, or those last two series anyway. Who knows what the reasoning was.

Yes, very interesting.  If it is obvious to us that Drake is the more talented of the two, it is obvious to Gase.  

I believe Williams got as much run as he did because he is more effective in pass pro.  In the majority of his snaps, you could see that pass pro was his #1 assignment.  On the last two drives of the game, Drake wasn't even in a pass pro position at the snap on many plays.  Instead, he was in a pass route position.  When a team is urgently playing catch-up, weapons (including the RB) need to be deployed aggressively, which means pass pro/blitz responses change.  

Because of his superior pass pro skill set, Williams apparently fits the non-2 minute offense better than Drake, at least in Gase's mind.  That may change if Gase decides to become more aggressive offensively (thereby favoring the more talented Drake on the field).

Edited by Rolling Thunder

These first two plays, I was impressed to see his trades after contact on display. He definitely doesn't go down on first contact and doesn't go down easily. Good sign. Also good sign to watch him keep fighting for more yards. Has decent moves in open space too. Definitely look forward to seeing what he can do in the upcoming weeks if the offense increases his touches (like they should).

fnVEitY.gif

RFVLY3A.gif

These last two, I was impressed to see him fight for every yard and looks like he is a hard tackle. Took three defenders to get him wrapped up and finally to tackle him. Then on the two point conversion where it looked like he was stuffed, he kept turning his legs and kept fighting (plus got some help from one of his o-linemen to get him the rest of the way in).  

MD5i2Vi.gif

sR5Vv3w.gif

If he hadn't of fumbled he would of scored 18.4 in my league. 

He had 9 carries and averaged over 7 yards per. 

Good start, hard to have gone much better. 

This looks like a thing. 

Tough pull at Carolina next week, probably putting this on ice for one. 

11 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

This looks like a thing.

Drake's 3 down skill set makes him the big "thing" indeed.  If he continues to make the most of this snaps, he could join the exceedingly small group of every down RBs ROS.  It is hard enough to find a productive 2 down WW RB.  A guy who doesn't come out on pass downs is a rare WW add.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
11 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Drake's 3 down skill set makes him the big "thing" indeed.  If he continues to make the most of this snaps, he could join the exceedingly small group of every down RBs ROS.  It is hard enough to find a productive 2 down WW RB.  A guy who doesn't come out on pass downs is a rare WW add.

It's why I feel strongly that this situation is underrated.  Most people are happy to find a two down back on the waiver wire (Adrian Peterson).  Here you have a 3 down back that's supposed to concede passing downs to Damien Williams yet they both got 6 targets.

Drake was also used at the goal line for that 2pt conversion.  And if Drake is the goal line "running" back then that to me is waiver gold.  We know Williams is the goal line "passing" back.

1 minute ago, JediMasters said:

It's why I feel strongly that this situation is underrated.  Most people are happy to find a two down back on the waiver wire (Adrian Peterson).  Here you have a 3 down back that's supposed to concede passing downs to Damien Williams yet they both got 6 targets.

Drake was also used at the goal line for that 2pt conversion.  And if Drake is the goal line "running" back then that to me is waiver gold.  We know Williams is the goal line "passing" back.

Yep, it isn't rocket science.

Gase has shown that he'll use a 3 down bell cow if he feels he has one.  He ships Ajayi out for a variety of reasons.  Drake has flashed a lot of talent (with his legs and hands) when he has been given touches/targets.  His competition is JAG.  Sure, Miami is no juggernaut offensively, so that sucks, but IMO, Drake became "the most interesting add in the world" the minute Ajayi began to clean out his locker.  Last night's game did nothing to change my mind.  

Williams is absolutely useless running the ball (career best carry is 23 yards), and while capable as a pass catching back he still isn't as explosive as Drake. I think this is a situation where Drake will take on more responsibility as the season goes on. The staff clearly wants Drake to be the guy, but he is inexperienced and will need to learn. 

3 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

Williams is absolutely useless running the ball (career best carry is 23 yards), and while capable as a pass catching back he still isn't as explosive as Drake. I think this is a situation where Drake will take on more responsibility as the season goes on. The staff clearly wants Drake to be the guy, but he is inexperienced and will need to learn. 

To be fair to Williams TD run was pretty impressive.  I own drake and hope he turns into something but Williams isnt "useless' after watching last game.

6 minutes ago, nosh0t said:

To be fair to Williams TD run was pretty impressive.  I own drake and hope he turns into something but Williams isnt "useless' after watching last game.

useless running the ball. I said he is capable receiving threat.

3 minutes ago, nosh0t said:

Outside of that TD, can you point to anything else that Williams did that stood out? He looks like a JAG/plodder out there. Has no burst. Has no explosiveness. Just comes across as a guy that will get you 2-3 yards. He didn't really break any tackles and didn't seem elusive. His yards after contact wasn't impressive. His play really wasn't all that impressive to me.

The 'only' impressive thing about his TD was that he managed to stay upright, Landry somehow makes an impress block, while on his knees, to cut off the pursuing backer and Joseph of course takes out the CB whom was the only guy that made contact and could have still wrapped up. 

I'm salty but I'm revving up the Drake Train. 

26 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Outside of that TD, can you point to anything else that Williams did that stood out? He looks like a JAG/plodder out there. Has no burst. Has no explosiveness. Just comes across as a guy that will get you 2-3 yards. He didn't really break any tackles and didn't seem elusive. His yards after contact wasn't impressive. His play really wasn't all that impressive to me.

26 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

useless running the ball. I said he is capable receiving threat.

Hey i'm on your side, I own drake, and I hope the coach sees it that way too.  I'm just cautiously optimistic that's all.  I even dressed Drake as my flex last night.  The fact he got the ball after the fumble so soon was the most positive for me.

8 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

They all say that.  It won't be long before Drake gets most of the work.

Saying Drake is a decent flex play is selling him short IMO.  Ajayi left a gigantic hole, and Drake has a great shot at filling it.

Didnt see the 3 down skill set while playing at Alabama but i think drake is a guy that put a few pounds on and kept his speed. Did him a lot of good playing some wr at alabama, he has some nice sharp cuts on a few of his routes to create space, he runs tough and is still learning between the tackles and he can hit an open hole as fast as any rb in the league.

Id love to see miami and gase say f*'k it and go 3 wide with cutler in shotgun and drake in backfield.

Parker, Stills, and Landry with Cutler in shotgun and drake in the backfield, really spreads the defense so thin running lanes are created as a result.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats