NBC Sports Edge Forums

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

One thing about creating rules or discussions when trying to essentially reign in like one or two owners typically ends up often being missed on that owner.  I have a similar one in my baseball league, he has been in since the mid 90's, has not made a trade since like 2012, finishes at best mid pack, but usually bottom 1/3rd and co commish and I have had some discussions because its basically like a black hole where players disappear for 3-4 years.  I think its best to just have a discussion, a lot of owners in a lot of leagues are in the league for the social component of draft night so maybe kind of suggest that if the rest of the season he cant be more engaged, maybe he can be there on draft night to help with logistics or maybe needs to take on a co-owner?  

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

I think you owe him a straight up conversation about expectations and how not setting a lineup or paying attention is affecting the rest of the league.    Forget the sneaky rules.    Tell him you are hearing complaints from other league members.     

Does he really want to play fantasy football because it’s fine if he wants to just come to the draft and give people crap/drink beer.  He’s your buddy first so you are being upfront about the situation.  

54 minutes ago, CPuente57 said:

Yeah it depends on his attitude towards your league..if he doesnt care in the least and its a trend you see..i would definitely have a talk with him and explain how his actions have ramifications for everyone else in the league (free wins etc) and if his heart really isn't in it then you'll have to find a replacement. If he was really trying though and luck just hasnt bounced his way I wouldn't kick him out bc of his poor record..heck i try like hell in my league and ive finished dead last and 2nd to last in 2 of the past 3 seasons and am off to a 2-5 start this season. I'd hate for a league run by my friend to kick me out due to record because that's basically out of my control that the players i have underperform or i run into a team on a hot streak. 

49 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I think you need to have a private conversation with him. Start it with a softball question like “Are you enjoying the fantasy league? Seems like you’re not really into it”. Then bring up how you’ve noticed his inactivity & invalid lineups. Let him know everyone expects fair play & an honest effort through the season. He may just admit that it’s not really interesting & he just wants to be involved with the guys. He can always attend the draft & hang out. Even better...if that’s all he really likes about it, you have yourself an auctioneer if you want to change to auction style!

Great points and suggestions everyone, thanks.  I'm gonna have the Dad - FF Commissioner Talk with him.  

I will throw the "sneaky rules" away.  

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Great points and suggestions everyone, thanks.  I'm gonna have the Dad - FF Commissioner Talk with him.  

I will throw the "sneaky rules" away.  

I think this is the right move as other have already stated. 

I would also suggest if it is a group of buddies to do some sort of punishment for the league loser, keeps everyone invested even if they are in last place.

For example... In our league we do a sacko playoff for all of those that don't make the playoffs.  Its the same type of bracket as your standard playoff bracket but if you win you don't move forward you are safe from becoming the sacko.  Three loses in a row and you win the sacko bowl!  The sacko winner has to hang the sacko trophy (toilet bowl seat- signed by previous sacko winners) somewhere in their house for the year until a new sacko champ is crowned.  They also have to put a license plate cover on their car that reads "I suck at fantasy football." 

Nothing to brutal but it keeps everyone more active even if they don't have a shot to win.

5 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I think this is the right move as other have already stated. 

I would also suggest if it is a group of buddies to do some sort of punishment for the league loser, keeps everyone invested even if they are in last place.

For example... In our league we do a sacko playoff for all of those that don't make the playoffs.  Its the same type of bracket as your standard playoff bracket but if you win you don't move forward you are safe from becoming the sacko.  Three loses in a row and you win the sacko bowl!  The sacko winner has to hang the sacko trophy (toilet bowl seat- signed by previous sacko winners) somewhere in their house for the year until a new sacko champ is crowned.  They also have to put a license plate cover on their car that reads "I suck at fantasy football." 

Nothing to brutal but it keeps everyone more active even if they don't have a shot to win.

This is good. We actually have a laundry list of punishments for the loser as well. 

We almost bought that pink license plate holder too lol. League decided we  already had too many punishments though 

We have had that problem in my league a time or two over the years.  The problem usually ends up solving itself, because the struggling team manager will often announce he or she is stepping away.  

But if that doesn't happen, the commish will just have to find a replacement and go forward.  Can't have a ghost team.  It's not like The League where you can have a "Taco" and everybody howls.  There will be howls alright...just not howls of laughter.

This trade was just accepted in our league. 

Zeke and Evans for Gordon and Fuller. 

Both parties know about the suspension. Both teams are 5-3. We have commissioner veto, no voting. 

Is this as bad as I think it is or am I too close to the situation to be objective?

2 minutes ago, billydough said:

Both parties know about the suspension. Both teams are 5-3. We have commissioner veto, no voting. 

Is this as bad as I think it is or am I too close to the situation to be objective?

You need to let the trade pass

4 minutes ago, billydough said:

Knowing rosters and scoring would be helpful...

Zeke is back the second round of playoffs.  Is this straight up redraft?  Weird to give up so much for him but conceivably could be huge.  

Not a trade i would do but wouldn’t veto 

Edited by Impreza178

Ok this is why I wanted some objective opinions.  It’s a longstanding friends redraft league. 

The guy getting Zeke is the league flake.  

In fact he offered me Chris Thompson and Larry Fitzgerald for Antonio Brown this morning. So imagine my shock when I see this one. 

Theres no collusion so I’ll just have to allow the trade and take the heat from the rest of the league. 

I think any Zeke trades that go down in the coming week or so are gonna cause some push back regardless of how fairly they are perceived. Just gonna have to roll with the punches in most situations I feel like

Edited by lolcopter
5 minutes ago, billydough said:

Ok this is why I wanted some objective opinions.  It’s a longstanding friends redraft league. 

The guy getting Zeke is the league flake.  

In fact he offered me Chris Thompson and Larry Fitzgerald for Antonio Brown this morning. So imagine my shock when I see this one. 

Theres no collusion so I’ll just have to allow the trade and take the heat from the rest of the league. 

I have Zeke in a very important league (yea they all are important)

I sent out some trade offers this morning... man I wish we had a flake in our (this)  league

14 minutes ago, MaXLacker said:

Gurley and Funchess for Tyreek Hill and Kamara

No collusion the guy asked what he wanted for Gurley and the trade came through.

One guy is upset so far about it being lopsided on the Gurley side.

It's not a vote league.

Thoughts?

I agree this is even. With KB out Funchess should get a larger role. I'd be good with letting that go no problem.

Thanks guys. He's usually the only one that speaks up about trades, almost like he wants to be a co-commissioner and tell me whats fair. If he wouldn't make the trade himself he thinks it shouldn't be allowed. I only veto if its blatantly collusion. This is between 2 teams trying to win. It's not up to me to determine the value of the players traded if both teams agree to it.

Probably won't be inviting him back next year.

The Gurley side is winning by a landslide, if I were commish, I would let it go through.  Lev Bell for Bruce Ellington is the level of rip-off I would veto.  Gurley and Funchess for Hill and Kamara does not move the collusion needle for me.

Edited by SharkSwimmer
2 hours ago, MaXLacker said:

Thanks guys. He's usually the only one that speaks up about trades, almost like he wants to be a co-commissioner and tell me whats fair. If he wouldn't make the trade himself he thinks it shouldn't be allowed. I only veto if its blatantly collusion. This is between 2 teams trying to win. It's not up to me to determine the value of the players traded if both teams agree to it.

Probably won't be inviting him back next year.

Couldn't have said it better!  I think this is the biggest disconnect that people have while playing FF, every owner values every player differently.  Some people can't grasp that.

I only vetoed 1 trade this year and that was this week also. Last week a guy whos in 4th place traded Demaryius Thomas and Blount to a 1-7 team for Jordan Howard. That was fine. But then he turned around again and sent a trade to the same 1-7 team sending him Tyrod and Stills for Aaron Jones. The 1-7 team already had 2 QBs and 3 WRs (1 from the week before). I had 3 league managers tell me to stop the trade because it seemed like he was pillaging the low guy for his running backs and they work together so they know each other. So i vetoed. 

3 minutes ago, MaXLacker said:

I only vetoed 1 trade this year and that was this week also. Last week a guy whos in 4th place traded Demaryius Thomas and Blount to a 1-7 team for Jordan Howard. That was fine. But then he turned around again and sent a trade to the same 1-7 team sending him Tyrod and Stills for Aaron Jones. The 1-7 team already had 2 QBs and 3 WRs (1 from the week before). I had 3 league managers tell me to stop the trade because it seemed like he was pillaging the low guy for his running backs and they work together so they know each other. So i vetoed. 

That’s a whole different story there.    Pretty clear cut collusion- which should always be overturned.    Reverse both the trades and boot both of them.   That’s what I’d do- there’s no room for cheaters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, looking for advice for an issue that came up over the weekend. I will try to make it short.

We have a close group for our league (family, married couples. etc.) So one of our married couples played each other this week. One of them is in the playoff hunt and the other one is all but eliminated. So going into Sunday, the eliminated team did NOT have a full lineup (their defense was on bye). As the day got going, I messaged them about filling the lineup. They were aware of the vacant spot, but the owner would not make a change at all. The excuse was they did not want to drop anyone from their bench. I found this as a very thin excuse, as we just upped our bench spots to 6 (from 5), so that we will have plenty of room to make appropriate moves throughout the weeks. This discussing went throughout the day and into the evening. They never did pick up a defense and lost by 3 points (which would have been easily covered by the defenses that were available. This granted the team in the hunt with a "cheap win".

My question is, how can I enforce a penalty? This obviously creates and unfair competitive balance, especially since we only have a few weeks until playoffs. Myself and another commission the league and we are trying to think of what to do. We discussed that we have not had any type of punishment for this before (because well.... it shouldn't happen per fantasy football etiquette). This is a keeper league, so my suggestion is that we post a vote to the league, which would have to be passed unanimously by the other 8 owners. My thought is an infraction like this should have a heavy deterrent, so I am thinking of a loss of keeper rights for the following year.

Do any of you have suggestions? I obviously can't boot them from the league as it is my brother and his wife involved...

I think loss of keeper rights is a fine punishment for such an egregious act of collusion. Also tell them to shape up or ship out, your own brother should know and encourage better behavior

also once may be a mistake, but any empty lineups should be set by the commish now

Edited by lolcopter
1 hour ago, Unbreakable said:

Hey everyone, looking for advice for an issue that came up over the weekend. I will try to make it short.

We have a close group for our league (family, married couples. etc.) So one of our married couples played each other this week. One of them is in the playoff hunt and the other one is all but eliminated. So going into Sunday, the eliminated team did NOT have a full lineup (their defense was on bye). As the day got going, I messaged them about filling the lineup. They were aware of the vacant spot, but the owner would not make a change at all. The excuse was they did not want to drop anyone from their bench. I found this as a very thin excuse, as we just upped our bench spots to 6 (from 5), so that we will have plenty of room to make appropriate moves throughout the weeks. This discussing went throughout the day and into the evening. They never did pick up a defense and lost by 3 points (which would have been easily covered by the defenses that were available. This granted the team in the hunt with a "cheap win".

My question is, how can I enforce a penalty? This obviously creates and unfair competitive balance, especially since we only have a few weeks until playoffs. Myself and another commission the league and we are trying to think of what to do. We discussed that we have not had any type of punishment for this before (because well.... it shouldn't happen per fantasy football etiquette). This is a keeper league, so my suggestion is that we post a vote to the league, which would have to be passed unanimously by the other 8 owners. My thought is an infraction like this should have a heavy deterrent, so I am thinking of a loss of keeper rights for the following year.

Do any of you have suggestions? I obviously can't boot them from the league as it is my brother and his wife involved...

I see this league is a (family, married couples). A league that is in all intent purposes --- having fun. Some people ain't all hyped up into setting a full lineup every week they lose interest. it happens. Yea wouldn't it be all grand we were all fantasy crazy we spent hours upon hours scouring the waiver wire. But damnit that ain't going to happen in every league. That is a fact.

I believe you did as much as you should. You informed informed and informed they decided to ignore and played what they had on the team.

You want to enforce the penalty ... go ahead