NBC Sports Edge Forums

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

I would have quit that league on the spot too. Complete amateur hour. Honestly probably best to dissolve the league and just give everyone their money back. You want all teams to be as enthusiastic and active as possible, and not just have everything hobbled together. Your bro seems like a bad commish too. Just my $0.02

Edited by lolcopter
  • Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/3/2017 at 11:50 PM, CooL said:

Are these essentially the same people in both leagues, or are they two completely different groups of people?  Are the snake draft people closer friends with everyone?

Your draft is "live", but is it pencil and paper live, or is it done on an online platform like Yahoo and ESPN?  As you probably know, an auction draft can take much longer than a snake.  I can't even begin to think how people do an auction draft without an online platform.  I suppose somebody has to keep track of time, somebody has to keep track of money left, etc.  Just seems like a huge process.  Online it's all automatic and sped up so things keep moving.

I personally do not have 4.5 hours to spend doing a draft.  People are busy.  People have other non fantasy football responsibilities, usually involving family or work.  There's really no way to keep people from leaving early, unless you're going to give out last year's winnings at the end of the draft and you have to be present to collect your share.  Either that or bring in some strippers at the end of the draft.  Nobody is going to leave early if that's the case.

I commissioner a keeper league in baseball/football.  Both are probably a 3-4 hour process maybe a little longer with breaks, etc.  Both of them are held on weekend nights, usually Saturday ending like 10pm, so generally on a Saturday night whether people get home at 1030pm or midnight, doesnt make a huge difference, where say if the draft is on a Tuesday night, people are leaving ASAP because they have to work in the morning.  So the more its set up time wise where they have the "rest of the night" without commitments chances are you will create more desire to socialize post-draft. 

With regards to how auctions are done, yes they are pen/paper format and then I as commissioner will enter the info the next day into the league.  Sometimes I will do it as I go, but it gets had to keep up as the cheap guys come up.  I usually have another owner or two who are on the money.  We often do a money check after we go around the room.

One thing I would say about live auctions, is setting is important as people finish, because people in close proximity to the bidders having loud side conversations makes it difficult to hear bidding.  

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

I commissioner a keeper league in baseball/football.  Both are probably a 3-4 hour process maybe a little longer with breaks, etc.  Both of them are held on weekend nights, usually Saturday ending like 10pm, so generally on a Saturday night whether people get home at 1030pm or midnight, doesnt make a huge difference, where say if the draft is on a Tuesday night, people are leaving ASAP because they have to work in the morning.  So the more its set up time wise where they have the "rest of the night" without commitments chances are you will create more desire to socialize post-draft. 

With regards to how auctions are done, yes they are pen/paper format and then I as commissioner will enter the info the next day into the league.  Sometimes I will do it as I go, but it gets had to keep up as the cheap guys come up.  I usually have another owner or two who are on the money.  We often do a money check after we go around the room.

One thing I would say about live auctions, is setting is important as people finish, because people in close proximity to the bidders having loud side conversations makes it difficult to hear bidding.  

Setting is crucial. I've been in two live auction leagues, both in the UK. In one, we booked a function room at a pub, so as people reached the end they could just head to the bar. In the other, we used the company boardroom. Both went smoothly - but the pub worked best.

19 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Setting is crucial. I've been in two live auction leagues, both in the UK. In one, we booked a function room at a pub, so as people reached the end they could just head to the bar. In the other, we used the company boardroom. Both went smoothly - but the pub worked best.

In my baseball league, we have it at a Marriott, and we use the Concierge lounge which is where they serve breakfast and drinks but on the weekends its closed we have an agreement with them to hit a certain mark for food/bev to waive the cost of the room its a pretty big space works great because as the auction winds down and people are having side conversations it doesnt disrupt auction bidding.  We did our football one in a side room at a bar/grill last year and we ran into the overcrowding issue. 

On 8/30/2017 at 5:43 PM, CooL said:

Does anybody ever do a slow draft via email?  I know MFL leagues do.  But I am in one league where the actual draft is Friday, but the commish likes to just start asking people for their picks ahead of time.  There's no time line in terms of when you need to respond.  Some people respond immediately, some people take a day, and right now it's hung up on #12 guy for three days.  I think he's trying to wait out the Zeke situation and see if he wants to draft him in the late first.  Now the guy who just drafted Jay Ajayi at #11 wants to change his mind.  He contends that if the next pick hasn't been made, that he should be entitled to switch.  But the commish isn't budging.

Any thoughts on this?  Obviously for next year there needs to be more rules if the draft is actually going to "start" several days before the actual draft.  I can understand the guy at #12 stalling until Friday, because what advantage does it give him to pick now?  I think there has to be a several hour window, clear rules about whether or not you can change a pick if the next one isn't finalized (our rule before online drafting was if the sticker got stuck on the board, then your pick can't be changed), etc.

We do a live auction, but we slow draft the IDP guys on a google doc in the days following the auction, it stinks.  Because people hold up the show and get all pissy because their "work" is so important they couldnt be bothered to check online for 6 hours.  For the record, nobody in the league is unemployed so most dont have sympathy. 

I would say in a slow draft, you need like a 2-3 hour time limit per pick and skip if they cant check in once every 2-3 hours to see whats going on. 

1 minute ago, Asys71 said:

Wondering if i can get some insight. Im a commissioner of  12 team 2qb (4pt tds)standard league. Should I approve this trade? Neither player is cheating.

Big Ben and Joe Mixon for Julio Jones?

Thanks.

2 QB leagues make it a little less egregious. I wouldn't be trading my first rounder away before week 1 for that type of package unless I was drunk on draft day or had a gun to my head. 

But yes you should approve it if you suspect no cheating

On 9/4/2017 at 5:51 PM, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Not sure if this should be vent and rant or commissioners corner.  But I will tell the story, then ask how other commissioners would handle it.

Long story but I will break it up in parts, the league history and its decline, then the draft drama last night

**the league history**

It is a league that is a melting pot of friends, friends thru friends (people everyone knows well but only time during the year you see them is at the draft)some coworkers and some family.  I don't commish it, my brother does.

**the decline**

this league is in person, for the last ten years.  Last couple years the participation is declining and we're always making extra efforts to fill this 12 man team.  This year it felt like I was doing the work finding people, not much initiative from my bro at all.  We had 10 locked up, I found a coworker.  Also, I have no problem finding people but I make an effort not to pick people from my league and have some football knowledge there are already some from my league in his league but I try to stay away from recycling participants, because why do two leagues then?

so this league lacks creativity and my bro has no desire to make things interesting, we draw picks out of a hat right before draft time, and the payouts are conservative, always giving a generous amount to 2nd and paying 3rd place.  The only change made was upping the buy in last year from $50 to $100.  We generally have a payout of the following shares for 1st 2nd 3rd.  60%, 30%, 10%

well last season and this in an effort to fill roster spots, my bro buys a team for his wife, (whom thru convos with her she don't run it), oh well, but I'd prefer to see an effort in actually filling it

**the draft drama**

to preface, a leaguemate yesterday was in a hurry to go somewhere right after the draft and was really pushy on people settling down and make picks.  Pick #4 was running late and was not there when leaguemate pressured the league to make picks w/out him present, at pick 4 the commish called and he phoned in obj and said he was getting closer, picks went around again, when it got back to him he was pressured to call again cuz he still wasn't there, commish got off the phone and said the dude quit on the spot since we didn't wait.

this caused a lot of confusion and people were already stressed given the atmosphere, after bantering back and forth the commish insisted we restart the draft with only 10 and repick draft position out of a hat.  A lot of us we're not having it and we plead our case not to change draft position(I had pick 3 and landed bell, and sitting with friends, I thought this would be my last draft so really talking about players as they fell off the board, essentially showing my cards), well when we restarted, my list had a ton of players already crossed off, I missed on some good picks because I didn't see them available on my sheet, taking Pryor over ajayi with the 3/2 pick not realizing he was still on the board, ok/rant

anywho, when we were discussing how to go about it, I wanted to keep it 12 teams, I suggested we continue drafting, no restart, take best player available for the rage quit team and sell it to someone ASAP that is looking for a league.  Unfortunately I was speaking to deaf ears.  I just thought starting over really killed the integrity and spirit of the draft.

so my opinion, is draft went bad in so many ways, impatient people, quitters, lack of initiative from the commish(which I believe if we up the fee to $100, this should be the most smooth league I play in).

how would you all handle the situation if you were in it?  Part of me just wanted to say eff it, I'm out now, but that's not in my blood, and definitely not in front of a group like that(friends coworkers etc)

So is the 11th team the wives team and then team 12 is the drop out?  Yeah I would have moved to 10 teams, but maybe make it a 2-QB league and add another flex player or something, so that the scarcity and player pool is similar to that of a 12-team league.   Yout cant re-pick because someone drops out last minute.  The issue becomes what do you do with OBJ, obviously cant just let him get picked in the 2nd round by someone because someone else dropped out. 

* What I probably would have done with those extra players is starting with the player who picked 5th and working down, that player would of had the option to keep their player or exchange for OBJ, if they stay, it goes to 6th player, etc.  Then lets say pick 6 takes the switch, then you offer player 6 pick to 7 and it goes on, until you end up where you should in the 2nd round with who should be available.  

11 minutes ago, Asys71 said:

Wondering if i can get some insight. Im a commissioner of  12 team 2qb (4pt tds)standard league. Should I approve this trade? Neither player is cheating.

Big Ben and Joe Mixon for Julio Jones?

Thanks.

Is it a keeper league? If it's a redraft, in my league, there would be a rebuttable presumption that both owners were colluding and they would be required to provide explanations for the trade. Furthermore, the trade would be put to a vote of the other owners (75% to veto). Even if a trade was not vetoed, those owners would not be able to trade with one another for the remainder of the season. 

That's a really, really awful trade and is against the competitive spirit of the league. Sure, like any imbalanced trade, there is a chance Julio tears his ACL and Mixon explodes. But just going by ADPs, the trade seems very off and extremely negligent at best. This is a guy with a Top 4 ADP, being traded for a 4th and 9th rounder. When my league did redraft, any time a package for a 1st rounder did not include a 1st-3rd rounder on the other side, there was a rebuttable presumption that they were cheating and the trade was deemed imbalanced (but not necessarily vetoable) (barring exceptional circumstances).  

Edited by Rainyy
5 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

2 QB leagues make it a little less egregious. I wouldn't be trading my first rounder away before week 1 for that type of package unless I was drunk on draft day or had a gun to my head. 

But yes you should approve it if you suspect no cheating

Oh man so tough to decide. I know they arent cheating for sure

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

It's not the commissioner's job to be the arbiter of fairness, but rather to prevent obvious collusion. In a 2 QB league, not knowing either teams full rosters, that trade doesn't seem that bad at all.

Team 1 : brady, obj, benjamin, hyde , mixon, hunter henry, woodhead, d. Parker, bortles, d henry

Team 2: glennon, cutler, julio j, doug baldwin, kenny britt, dalvin cook, jack doyle, duke jr, jordan reed, demariyus thomas and tyreek hill

4 minutes ago, Asys71 said:

Team 1 : brady, obj, benjamin, hyde , mixon, hunter henry, woodhead, d. Parker, bortles, d henry

Team 2: glennon, cutler, julio j, doug baldwin, kenny britt, dalvin cook, jack doyle, duke jr, jordan reed, demariyus thomas and tyreek hill

Team 1 also has Ben I'm assuming? Doesn't seem that bad. Team 1 is really weak at WR (whoops missed OBJ) and Team 2 is pretty weak at RB. I would let it go through, but I'm a pretty laid back commish who doesn't like to interfere in most instances

Edited by lolcopter
27 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

It's not the commissioner's job to be the arbiter of fairness, but rather to prevent obvious collusion. In a 2 QB league, not knowing either teams full rosters, that trade doesn't seem that bad at all.

Missed it was a 2 QB league - my bad. That's a reasonable enough trade. That said, I maintain that the same trade should be vetoed in 1 QB formats. 

IMO, every person who joins a fantasy league has a duty to behave reasonably because his actions affect the league's competitive balance and thus all the other owners. The commissioner, as the person who oversees the league's composition, has a duty to prevent negligent acts that hurt balance. 

Owners shouldn't be required to make perfectly balanced trades, but they should be required to put minimal thought into trying to get fair return. Unfortunately, there are a lot of morons out there and people will give up the farm for their favorite player they forgot to draft in the 10th round, not caring about the price. These trades don't involve cheating, but they involve gross negligence that hurts the rest of the league. The commissioner should at least raise the issue of vetoing in these circumstances. 

I agree a commissioner shouldn't be the sole arbiter and unilaterally veto trades. But he is responsible for creating agreeable procedures for dealing with imbalanced trades. 

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

Is it a keeper league? If it's a redraft, in my league, there would be a rebuttable presumption that both owners were colluding and they would be required to provide explanations for the trade. Furthermore, the trade would be put to a vote of the other owners (75% to veto). Even if a trade was not vetoed, those owners would not be able to trade with one another for the remainder of the season. 

That's a really, really awful trade and is against the competitive spirit of the league. Sure, like any imbalanced trade, there is a chance Julio tears his ACL and Mixon explodes. But just going by ADPs, the trade seems very off and extremely negligent at best. This is a guy with a Top 4 ADP, being traded for a 4th and 9th rounder. When my league did redraft, any time a package for a 1st rounder did not include a 1st-3rd rounder on the other side, there was a rebuttable presumption that they were cheating and the trade was deemed imbalanced (but not necessarily vetoable) (barring exceptional circumstances).  

Not a keeper league just standard. New draft every year

1 hour ago, lolcopter said:

If there is no obvious collusion, and it doesn't seem like there is, then you let the trade go through.

Seems like you can't win in any situation with trades.  If you have trade vetoes in your league, then people are just going to veto any trade they think makes one of the teams that much more stronger.  If you take away the option of trade vetoes and anything goes, then you have the possibility of crappy trades and cheating.  If the commissioner then has to step in, there's really no right for him to do so if there are no trade vetoes.  This puts a lot of pressure and power in the hands of the commish.  Sort of like Goodell.

34 minutes ago, Asys71 said:

I can do that through Yahoo?

On Yahoo, you set it up as a Commish Review on trades. On the side, however, you take a vote from the owners not involved in the trade as to whether the trade should pass. Publish the results (either naming who voted for what or do it anonymously) so that all owners get to see the votes, and abide by whatever standard you set as a veto percentage. 

35 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Not sure. ESPN lets you set it to whatever you want

Yeah, Yahoo's 1/3 thing sucks. Always made me wonder why Yahoo thought it wise to let a minority of the league decide whether a trade goes through. Four veto votes in a 12-team league to negate a trade is just stupid.