NBC Sports Edge Forums

Commissioner's Corner (2017 Edition)

6 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Pick up the highest ranked FA, set his lineup, and kick him out of the league next season

This was my initial thought, but wasn't sure if it was something reasonable to do.

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

my vote you leave the team as-is and do nothing .....

sometimes teams with bye (injured) players in the lineup can win a week against an owner who is active ...

I agree "anything can happen", but I would much rather play against 7 or 8 players than 10.  It gives you a huge advantage.  If you told me I could be playing a team with less than a full roster, who had made no WW adds all year, in the regular season final week, that would be worth a lot to me.  Sure one of his players could go off for 50 points and win, but that could happen against anyone - your chances of winning are still much much greater.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

What do folks do about a completely inactive owner, if anything?  An owner had paid up in full before the draft, but was a no-show to the draft, had his team auto-drafted.  This is the second year in a row he missed the draft and was auto'ed, but last year he posted on the message board and said he had a work thing pop up, but was going to be active and make trades to fix his team, which he did for the most part.  So far this year, however, he's been a complete no-show.  Only QB auto-drafted was Luck, and he's been in his starting lineup both Weeks 1 and 2.  Also has Woodhead in his Week 2 lineup, and no adds/drops have been made by him.

I'm not the commish in this league, but I posted on the message board pointing this out and asking what could be done.  Commish wrote back and basically said he'd e-mail him, but there's not much he can do.  I'm really not sure what the right answer is here, but is there something you would do in this case, with an owner that has clearly been a complete no-show right from the draft onwards?  

My main issue is that the schedule of course isn't completely even.  While he plays each team at least once, there are more regular season weeks than teams, so I believe 2 teams get to play him twice, with the second time around happening at the end of the year.  Maybe it's just sour grapes, but I don't like seeing 2 other teams get free wins the rest of the league doesn't get, especially at the end of the year when this starting lineup will likely be 50% injuries.  Not to mention right before playoffs, those teams getting free wins could be the difference between them making the playoffs, and another team making it.

I was going to suggest the commish could just auto-set his lineup every week with the highest projected players, but that also doesn't solve the issue of what to do to fill positions where he has injured players.  For example, with Luck his only QB, could the commish just add him a FA QB at the top of the scrap heap so the auto-fill lineup can put in a starting QB?  Would anyone pursue something like this, or am I just being a whiner and over-thinking this, and the team should be left to flounder and put up 50 points a week?

Tough one because many of the answers are tough with regards to fairness...

* The challenge is that this situation has already given two free wins essentially to other team so if I am playing him in week 3, I want the same advantages that those who played him in weeks 1 and 2 had.  Which is playing an absentee owner with an incomplete lineup and no matter what the Commish does, its tough to recreate that:  So does he kick the guy in the rear and then that guy gets engaged, makes add/drops and now has functional team?  Again, not really fair to those who got advantage.

If I were commissioner of this league, I would do the following and my main goal is fairness:

* The guy is out, first and foremost = his actions put the league in jeopardy. 

* Basically set his lineup each week as close to week 1-2 with an injured QB and RB all season long - so each team gets essentially a "gimmie"  because if you just let it go at some point someone is gonna get in that guys ear at a time that is opportune for them, be it the commissioner be it that guys buddy who is in the league and they need that guy to win a game to get in the playoffs and knock someone else out, they call them to fix their lineup, and then the whole league is a mess, we had this happen in ours a couple years back and it cost me a bye and ultimately changed who our league champion was.  

* The tricky part and where you need to get a little creative is with the fact people play him twice - maybe just make the regular season 1 time vs everyone because of this then have some of the playoff weeks multiple weeks, or maybe play everyone once keep playoffs the same but in those 1-2 weeks you cut off because of this do like a DFS week(s) where those weeks are playing for an individual cash prize that week.  

8 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

I was going to suggest the commish could just auto-set his lineup every week with the highest projected players, but that also doesn't solve the issue of what to do to fill positions where he has injured players.  For example, with Luck his only QB, could the commish just add him a FA QB at the top of the scrap heap so the auto-fill lineup can put in a starting QB?  Would anyone pursue something like this, or am I just being a whiner and over-thinking this, and the team should be left to flounder and put up 50 points a week?

You're in a bad situation.  All your points are completely reasonable and understandable IMO.  

Commish doing a lousy job not replacing losers.  We got punishments if you mess up in my league.  But if someone truly doesn't care mere weeks after they've spent the money to join, punishments probably won't do much for them.  

I'd probably have everyone take turns piling in on him to pressure him to do what needs to be done then just boot him after the season and replace him.  That won't fix the fact that 2 people already got free wins on this bozo unfortunately.  

If I'm commish I won't do anything with regards to him unless it's already in my established rule book (which it is), but I'm not doing anything on the fly.  If he's a free win for 13 weeks and 2 people pile on him twice, so be it.  Nothing I can do, it sucks they got lucky, but it is what it is.  I'm not gonna overcomplicate and do crazy stuff.

If he comes back and gets it together then sucks for guy in week 3 that doesn't get a free win, but that's the way it rolls.  Either way, as the Commish, I deflect all blame and anger at the loser.  I would have been actively on him to begin though and we have rules in place, but I'm not doing anything on the fly.  Some will be mad, some will be happy, not all will be appeased no matter what though.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

Question for commissioners in regards to a Yahoo league with IR spot.

Scenario: I had Amendola as out over the weekend and placed him in the IR slot. I was able to pick up another player to fill up my roster and keep Amendola in the IR slot. Last night I started claiming players when Amendola's status was still out and the website allowed me to place a claim.

Question: Am I able to claim a waiver and keep Amendola in the IR slot even though technically he's no longer out (his status changed this morning to questionable) or will my waiver claim get rejected? 

Thanks in advance.

19 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

You're in a bad situation.  All your points are completely reasonable and understandable IMO.  

Commish doing a lousy job not replacing losers.  We got punishments if you mess up in my league.  But if someone truly doesn't care mere weeks after they've spent the money to join, punishments probably won't do much for them.  

I'd probably have everyone take turns piling in on him to pressure him to do what needs to be done then just boot him after the season and replace him.  That won't fix the fact that 2 people already got free wins on this bozo unfortunately.  

If I'm commish I won't do anything with regards to him unless it's already in my established rule book (which it is), but I'm not doing anything on the fly.  If he's a free win for 13 weeks and 2 people pile on him twice, so be it.  Nothing I can do, it sucks they got lucky, but it is what it is.  I'm not gonna overcomplicate and do crazy stuff.

If he comes back and gets it together then sucks for guy in week 3 that doesn't get a free win, but that's the way it rolls.  Either way, as the Commish, I deflect all blame and anger at the loser.  I would have been actively on him to begin though and we have rules in place, but I'm not doing anything on the fly.  Some will be mad, some will be happy, not all will be appeased no matter what though.

I would say if he comes back now, OK fine, but a week or two more and it gets to the point where it becomes unfair...

1 hour ago, rxn said:

Question for commissioners in regards to a Yahoo league with IR spot.

Scenario: I had Amendola as out over the weekend and placed him in the IR slot. I was able to pick up another player to fill up my roster and keep Amendola in the IR slot. Last night I started claiming players when Amendola's status was still out and the website allowed me to place a claim.

Question: Am I able to claim a waiver and keep Amendola in the IR slot even though technically he's no longer out (his status changed this morning to questionable) or will my waiver claim get rejected? 

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure it'll get rejected. Once status changes you no longer have that extra spot. 

I'm about 85% sure, not 100% though. If you wanna keep that extra guy on your roster and still go for it then you have a 15% chance of failure. Decide if that's worth it to you and go from there... Unless you get a better answer before tonight that is. 

Hi, second week in a row I get a complaint from different players in our league.  Problem occurs when they submit multiple waiver requests to drop the same player for a different waiver pickup.  And if the first transaction is denied because someone else picked up that player, the second transaction never happens.  And the player they selected to pick up in the second transaction gets released back into the free agent pool.  This is in Yahoo league.  Anyone else is running into such an issue?

On 9/20/2017 at 7:01 AM, Zangief80 said:

Hi, second week in a row I get a complaint from different players in our league.  Problem occurs when they submit multiple waiver requests to drop the same player for a different waiver pickup.  And if the first transaction is denied because someone else picked up that player, the second transaction never happens.  And the player they selected to pick up in the second transaction gets released back into the free agent pool.  This is in Yahoo league.  Anyone else is running into such an issue?

No, mine is working correctly with no issues.  

I really think it's user error.  When we switched to FAAB I used to have so many people saying there were errors and stuff and I made them screen shot everything night before they went through.  They showed me everything next day and yet, it was them, it was always them.

If it went down the way they said though, you can contact Yahoo, but they aren't always very receptive and are full of robots so it's tough to get to an actual human if this is a legit issue with your league.

Also, you might want to just look over all your settings and make sure everything is set correctly.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:42 AM, shakestreet said:

my vote you leave the team as-is and do nothing .....

sometimes teams with bye (injured) players in the lineup can win a week against an owner who is active ...

I agree.  First and foremost I would lock his team so he can't make any changes for the rest of the season.  If the first two weeks were played with inactive players, it isn't fair to everyone else in the league to set his lineup in week 3 and beyond to a full roster.  Also, keep his money and kick his arse out for causing you and league this much drama.  

On 9/20/2017 at 6:01 AM, Zangief80 said:

Don’t play yahoo so can’t comment for sure, but why don’t they just do straight drops then make claims for new players?

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

Don’t play yahoo so can’t comment for sure, but why don’t they just do straight drops then make claims for new players?

So in case they dont get a player of their first choice, the same player they used to drop can be dropped for the second choice.

Just now, Zangief80 said:

So in case they dont get a player of their first choice, the same player they used to drop can be dropped for the second choice.

Yeah but I’m saying just drop whoever they were going to drop before waivers, then do add claims instead of player swaps. That would alleviate the issue of the second claim not going through, but I would agree this sounds like user error on their part

Just now, lolcopter said:

Yeah but I’m saying just drop whoever they were going to drop before waivers, then do add claims instead of player swaps. That would alleviate the issue of the second claim not going through, but I would agree this sounds like user error on their part

Thanks, yeah I am leaning towards that as well as I dont see any other evidence.

15 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

This is the best way to do drop/adds if you are going to be submitting multiple claims IMO.  Otherwise you'll spend all day Wednesday clicking through all the possibilities.

For leagues that use the awful "inverse standing" waivers (where you pretty much put in for a bunch of guys every week) this is almost a must.

9 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

This is the best way to do drop/adds if you are going to be submitting multiple claims IMO.  Otherwise you'll spend all day Wednesday clicking through all the possibilities.

For leagues that use the awful "inverse standing" waivers (where you pretty much put in for a bunch of guys every week) this is almost a must.

You might have a guy who's OK on your bench, but you'd just prefer the guy(s) on the wire. In auction bids, if you drop the bench guy you run the risk of ending up with neither. For example, I swapped out Duke Johnson for Buck Allen a couple of weeks back, but there was no way I was just dropping Duke in case I missed out on Allen and then basically gave Duke to somebody else.

We're getting a bit off topic here though.

What do you guys think of an idea of enforcing team lineups after week 10.  Basically if there is a player on a starting roster that is injured/out or on bye or if there is an empty roster spot.  Then commissioner can fill in that spot with the first available bench player of that position.  This becomes critical when teams are battling for playoffs.  Teams that are on the bottom of the standings stop monitoring their rosters and that creates an easy win for someone in the playoff hunt.  Other owners that are also in the hunt find it to be unfair that other owners get an easy win.

So I thought about sending an email and saying that starting week 10 this rule will take affect.  Its a fair game since this will be announced way in advance.

Opinions?

On 9/22/2017 at 1:46 PM, Zangief80 said:

What do you guys think of an idea of enforcing team lineups after week 10.  Basically if there is a player on a starting roster that is injured/out or on bye or if there is an empty roster spot.  Then commissioner can fill in that spot with the first available bench player of that position.  This becomes critical when teams are battling for playoffs.  Teams that are on the bottom of the standings stop monitoring their rosters and that creates an easy win for someone in the playoff hunt.  Other owners that are also in the hunt find it to be unfair that other owners get an easy win.

So I thought about sending an email and saying that starting week 10 this rule will take affect.  Its a fair game since this will be announced way in advance.

Opinions?

Seems fair enough with the advanced warning. Make it clear that you still expect everyone to set their own lineups though and don't just abandon the team, otherwise you'll have a lot of legwork on your end to keep up with. 

Can you guys give your input...so that I can show it to these jokers?

I am 3-0 and look at the s--- these guys are trying to stir?

I am on NFL.com (by their choice) that allows bench players to be dropped within its system rules.

I've never set an illegal lineup... every Sunday. I will have a lineup including D and K.... no injured. HEALTHY STARTABLE players

I've had bad experiences of people just removing me from the league without refunding my money... over their lack of understanding of the platform they use.

Seriously...

FYI by players: it's cuffs like Joe Williams/Branden Oliver etc... hence if they did nothing I'd drop them for BEST available Defense or Kicker before gametime

wusseh.jpg

Edited by Szer0
On 9/28/2017 at 11:11 PM, Szer0 said:

I am on NFL.com (by their choice) that allows bench players to be dropped within its system rules.

I've never set an illegal lineup... every Sunday. I will have a lineup including D and K.... no injured. HEALTHY STARTABLE players

I've had bad experiences of people just removing me from the league without refunding my money... over their lack of understanding of the platform they use.

Seriously...

FYI by players: it's cuffs like Joe Williams/Branden Oliver etc... hence if they did nothing I'd drop them for BEST available Defense or Kicker before gametime

wusseh.jpg

Quote me if you want. 

Tell them they are being Petty. Tom Petty (RIP). 

You are doing nothing outside the rules. You are defeating them weekly and they are being bitter. 

Get over it. Don't quit a league either when you are winning, but 100% do not allow them to make asinine rules in season because they are mad that you are getting it over on them. 

Anyone came across anything crazy in their league's so far they wish they could fix or see something that they wish was addressed pre-season before the season's rules were all established?  I'm always actively trying to make my league better or add additional rules for the following season to fix something before it gets bad.

I welcome any and all suggestions ranging from fun ideas, keeper league rewards, preventing tanking, etc.

This thread is generally popping with good ideas and stories that make me work your league's disasters into rules before they become disasters in my league, however this season we've been pretty dead since season kick off, but this is when the ideas should be flowing the most IMO.

On 9/29/2017 at 12:11 AM, Szer0 said:

Seriously...

wusseh.jpg

I don't understand how its unfair. Logically by waiting to get a kicker and defense until the later in the week you are having to pick from a weaker pool of options since the top ones can be picked up earlier. So unless you can see the future this strategy is actually hurting you even if you have been lucky and it hasn't been showing up in the weekly scores yet (odds are it will sooner rather than later). Obviously defenses and kickers are difficult to predict and you can always stumble upon a top performer late in the week but there are clearly less risky ones i.e. defenses playing bad teams or kickers on good offenses and ones that are easier to predict on a weekly basis.  It cannot be considered cheating since it isn't against the rules meaning if they really felt it was giving you some sort of advantage they would be foolish to not do the same thing (the rules allow for this). 

Its like NBA teams complaining it isn't fair that the Warriors shoot so many 3s. Shooting 3s is a legal part of the game and at times Warriors shoot so many so early into the shot clock that it could potentially hurt them (even if they make it they could've likely gotten a higher percentage shot) even if the end results are in their favor. Instead of complaining about the Warriors shooting too many 3s the other teams can just shoot more 3s themselves (although obviously there is no guarantee they are at skilled at doing it as the Warriors and may not see the same results). The Warriors shouldn't be penalized for being so good at shooting 3s when it takes a certain level of skill and luck to do so similar to how you waiting until the last minute to add players (the obvious favorite options are likely already gone) requires a certain amount of skill (and luck) to still get good production out of them. 

I personally am not a fan of being able to drop players after their game starts but that is why I play on ESPN. If the other owners have a problem with this they shouldn't have chosen NFL.com (I'm assuming this isn't the first time they played on it so they should've been aware of it) but they have no right to complain about it now midseason. You shouldn't have to get out of the league for this but obviously I don't know the social dynamic (do you actually know these people or are they randoms) or how your league handles things and 1 person against the rest of the league isn't a recipe for success.

Just now, Jaw1 said:

I don't understand how its unfair. Logically by waiting to get a kicker and defense until the later in the week you are having to pick from a weaker pool of options since the top ones can be picked up earlier. So unless you can see the future this strategy is actually hurting you even if you have been lucky and it hasn't been showing up in the weekly scores yet (odds are it will sooner rather than later). Obviously defenses and kickers are difficult to predict and you can always stumble upon a top performer late in the week but there are clearly less risky ones i.e. defenses playing bad teams or kickers on good offenses and ones that are easier to predict on a weekly basis.  It cannot be considered cheating since it isn't against the rules meaning if they really felt it was giving you some sort of advantage they would be foolish to not do the same thing (the rules allow for this). 

Its like NBA teams complaining it isn't fair that the Warriors shoot so many 3s. Shooting 3s is a legal part of the game and at times Warriors shoot so many so early into the shot clock that it could potentially hurt them (even if they make it they could've likely gotten a higher percentage shot) even if the end results are in their favor. Instead of complaining about the Warriors shooting too many 3s the other teams can just shoot more 3s themselves (although obviously there is no guarantee they are at skilled at doing it as the Warriors and may not see the same results). The Warriors shouldn't be penalized for being so good at shooting 3s when it takes a certain level of skill and luck to do so similar to how you waiting until the last minute to add players (the obvious favorite options are likely already gone) requires a certain amount of skill (and luck) to still get good production out of them. 

I personally am not a fan of being able to drop players after their game starts but that is why I play on ESPN. If the other owners have a problem with this they shouldn't have chosen NFL.com (I'm assuming this isn't the first time they played on it so they should've been aware of it) but they have no right to complain about it now midseason. You shouldn't have to get out of the league for this but obviously I don't know the social dynamic (do you actually know these people or are they randoms) or how your league handles things and 1 person against the rest of the league isn't a recipe for success.

Forgot to update:

Commish and the rest are totally cool with what I do and in fact, they are doing and learning the same... they enjoyed the "competitive" sniping

The two cry babies are trying to stir sh*t up... but we just ignore them

28 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Anyone came across anything crazy in their league's so far they wish they could fix or see something that they wish was addressed pre-season before the season's rules were all established?  I'm always actively trying to make my league better or add additional rules for the following season to fix something before it gets bad.

I welcome any and all suggestions ranging from fun ideas, keeper league rewards, preventing tanking, etc.

This thread is generally popping with good ideas and stories that make me work your league's disasters into rules before they become disasters in my league, however this season we've been pretty dead since season kick off, but this is when the ideas should be flowing the most IMO.

Taking from the example above make sure everyone is clear on the rules/settings of the league ideally prior to joining but definitely prior to the season starting since a lot of leagues won't even let you change the settings mid season. If you are dealing with money it may be best to have everyone sign a waiver saying they read and understand the rules of the league or that by joining the league they are tacitly agreeing to the rules as they are so that there is no grey area if a dispute arises and you don't need to defend your side you can just point to what they agreed to. 

An issue I've run into before is a really good team trading with a really bad team and taking advantage of the bad owners desperation and willingness to take a risk to turn their season around. Trade wasn't necessarily bad enough to be vetoed (that is another thing to discuss, what constitutes a veto since people vary on this and tend to be a lot more strict or lenient depending on if they are involved in the trade or not). However, people had a problem with it since it made a strong team that much stronger (they turned depth they'd never use into upgrades in their starting lineup) while the bad team still was unlikely to make the playoffs. A trade deadline is typically put in place to prevent an extreme example of this but after 4 weeks or so its sometimes very clear who is playoff bound and who isn't. Maybe an earlier trade deadline can prevent this but it'll also have unintended negative consequences (people force trades based off emotion and trades that looked fair when they happen but turn one-sided overtime will become more frequent since trades will happen sooner). Having a Keeper league could help combat this too since instead of bad teams making a desperate move to be competitive they may opt to keep their great guy instead of dealing him for 2 good guys. Keeper league however complicates trade evaluation since you have to weigh building for the future vs. present and will likely lead to even more seemingly unbalanced trades in the present yet make them more justifiable. 

On 9/28/2017 at 9:11 PM, Szer0 said:

Seriously...

wusseh.jpg

Skull dude is salty as hell. What you're doing is completely fine and done by multiple people in my league. (Including myself).

The only real way to stop what you're doing is to completely get rid of the useless Kicker and DST position.