NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Carson 2017 Season Outlook

hard1

49 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

Carson>>CJ>Rawls>Lacy

in order of fantasy upside.

Im still convinced that Prosise could be a DJ-lite type of talent but he's not gonna get another shot to prove himself it seems. He's pigeonholed in the pass catching role for the foreseeable future.

So for that reason I do think Carson has a better shot at fantasy value. In a vacuum however I really do believe CJ Prosise is far and away the most talented RB the Seahawks have.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BLINDSIDERS said:

Read yesterday he was "alongside" Lacy. So, 2b to Lacy's 2a. Carson will get time this week and should expose Lacy for what he is, which is not as good as Carson.

You seem pretty confident that a 7th-round rookie is "better" than a guy that put up 2300 yards and 20 TDs his first 2 seasons in the league off a 1st-Team All-SEC nod. That's a wait and see at best in your case. Carson has plenty of obstacles in front of him on the depth chart. Give me a handcuff (an actual handcuff), especially if I don't own the guy that's starting for the Seahawks and has a thread that's a quarter the length of this one.

I think it's worth noting that if you go to Seahawks fan forums, a good amount of people are calling for Carson to be the lead back, with actual analysis as to why he's the best fit in this offense. I only mention this because all they care about is winning real life football games (not fantasy football). 

I myself though think it's a crapshoot at this point. In the past, however, I have placed value (for fantasy purposes) on what fan bases think when it comes to comparing players on THEIR roster (i.e. if they're saying Carson is a better player than Hunt, I won't pay that any mind given the obvious homer bias that can come into play), because they most likely know more than we do, and there is most likely less bias involved (whether subconscious or not).

Rawls already has a high ankle sprain and it's not even week 1 yet.  If Carson gets an opportunity to battle vs Lacy it will be an interesting show down.

Coach Pete Carroll said Thomas Rawls (ankle) is questionable for Week 1 against the Packers.

Carroll admitted Rawls' injury is of the high-ankle variety, which is a new development. All we had known previously was that Rawls had some sort of ankle issue. Carroll hopes Rawls will progress to "probable" status by the end of the week, but he said Eddie Lacy is ready for a full workload if needed, Chris Carson can pitch in, and C.J. Prosise is 100 percent healthy.

Edited by JediMasters

1 minute ago, nb009 said:

I think it's worth noting that if you go to Seahawks fan forums, a good amount of people are calling for Carson to be the lead back

I'm a Texans fan. If I were the coach or management, I'd make sure to do the opposite of whatever Houston's fanbase says to do. I put 0 stock into that. If you want to and think it's supported, that's fine and I can respect it.

2 minutes ago, JediMasters said:

Coach Pete Carroll said Thomas Rawls (ankle) is questionable for Week 1 against the Packers.

Carroll admitted Rawls' injury is of the high-ankle variety, which is a new development. All we had known previously was that Rawls had some sort of ankle issue. Carroll hopes Rawls will progress to "probable" status by the end of the week, but he said Eddie Lacy is ready for a full workload if needed, Chris Carson can pitch in, and C.J. Prosise is 100 percent healthy.

One down. Two to go.

4 minutes ago, konstao said:

Pete Carroll says he has no hesitation giving rookie RB Chris Carson ball multiple times Sunday in his 1st NFL game at Green Bay #SeahawksNFL_2017_SEASeahawks_v2.png

Coach Speak interpretation:  "If Lacy is ineffective then I have no hesitation giving rookie Chris Carson the ball multiple times if he has the hot hand".

IT'S ON!!!!  If Carson is dropped in your league he's worth a stash NOW to see how Lacy does.

Edited by JediMasters

5 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

And did you spend a late-round pick on him? Exactly.

I was highlighting the fact that poster said Carroll would never go with a 7th round pick over some vets when in fact in 2015 he went with an UDFA in Rawls over 3 vets. It took some injuries to start him, but Carroll has never been shy about riding the hot hand at rb regardless of draft capital. 

Somewhat similarly right now, 2 of the rbs are injured, including the presumed starter, while 1 is overweight. I'll take a shot on the guy who is not injured or overweight and is going the cheapest in drafts. 

1 minute ago, hoover8813 said:

I was highlighting the fact that poster said Carroll would never go with a 7th round pick over some vets when in fact in 2015 he went with an UDFA in Rawls over 3 vets. It took some injuries to start him, but Carroll has never been shy about riding the hot hand at rb regardless of draft capital. 

Somewhat similarly right now, 2 of the rbs are injured, including the presumed starter, while 1 is overweight. I'll take a shot on the guy who is not injured or overweight and is going the cheapest in drafts. 

you don't even have to go that far, just look at Wilson vs Flynn.  he picked a rookie QB over a high priced and highly though of FA QB signing.  Flynn was brought in to be the starter in Carroll's rookie year as head coach.  he didn't play it safe then either.  like i said before,  Carroll is the type of coach you want in these types of situations, for fantasy purposes.  he has shown a willingness to let performance decide on play.  the sword cuts both ways.  lacy can light it up sunday and solidify himself as the starter just as easily.

Pete Carroll

"You can play in different modes at times and sometimes one mode would be more effective than the others, so the versatility, I'm very comfortable with that. I think we will be able to execute that very well. We have a really diverse group. You start with those two guys [Rawls and Lacy], but then C.J. brings some stuff and Chris is really exciting to see too and then McKissic's lit us up the last couple days with all the versatility he brought and with the question of where he's playing and all, so I'm fine with it. I am really comfortable and I have no problem with it.

Also, I'm comfortable with a guy taking over. If a guy takes over and it's obvious, I got no problem with that either. I guess that's pretty wide open."

1 hour ago, StuPitt said:

You go right ahead and take him.  HE WAS A 7TH ROUND PICK from this years draft.  He is behind 3 guys who have had moderate success in the NFL.  You go ahead and take him...and while you are at it add Christine Michael and last years sensation Zach Zenner.  Pete Carroll would never go with a 7th round rookie guy over 3 vets.  Seattle aint the Browns or Jets.  They have high hopes for this season.  You'll be lucky to get one good game out of Carson.

Rawls was undrafted bro.

If this guy can somehow leapfrog all 3 other RBs and make himself fantasy relevant, kudos to him.  It's a tall order, but injuries happen throughout the course of the year.  And it seems like one already has occurred.  I didn't draft this guy because I think others have more easy paths to playing time, but kudos to those of you who took a chance.

As a Seahawks fan and someone who doesn't have a single share of any of the RBs anywhere a healthy Rawls is the preferred choice. A poster mentioned that Rawls has a few good games and otherwise has been mediocre but he clearly is a box score nerd. Anyone who has watched a 100% healthy Rawls knows he is an elite runner.

The problem is, his style and his body clearly make it borderline impossible for him to remain a bellcow. Lacy hasn't done much and despite all this RBBC talk I still believe Carroll would prefer a consistent RB to get most of the carries. The problem with Carson is he has almost no sample size in college and was a 7th round pick. Don't give me the Brady, Brown, Sherman, and whatever other player nonsense. Winning the lottery once doesn't make it a likely occurrence. Yes, a late round pick can be a stud but it is extremely unlikely. Even with an injured Rawls the chance of him being a weekly option at the position isn't much higher than guys like Perine and Burkhead who many believe are backing up inferior players. While that kind of stock outperformers his ADP it's nothing to get hyped over.

Now obviously there is potential. He's shown flashes and if Lacy proves to be useless he can take the job. It's just not all that likely. Granted, at this point logic can't help this thread. The hype train is long gone.