NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Carson 2017 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, billydough said:

Wow the circle jerk is strong in here. 

Here's a little dose of reality people: Seattle has been wretchedly inconsistent on offense dating back to the start of 2016. Literally nothing has changed with this team since then.  One week Wilson looks good, the next looks horrid. It has been stated ad nauseum on here already but Seattle has a very bad O line. 

Do you all really think CC is all this offense has been missing the last year?  That he is that much better than CMike and Rawls, that he can make up for the terrible line play?  

I dont. And I think a lot of owners are going to be unhappy if/when this guy doesn't put up "top 5" or even RB2 numbers consistently.

But by all means, carry on the CJ within your echo chamber. Just tell the next guy in to bring the lotion

Over the last 9 games of 2016, SEA averaged about 25 PPG. That includes two stinkers of 10 pts against GB and 5 against TB. Outside of those two games they averaged 30 points a game. Personally, I see those as outliers. This offense ALWAYS starts slow. They'll be fine.

Carson also has the easiest SOS ROS for RBs.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, taobball said:

This is a perfect situation no? I mean I expect them to beat the colts. CC will be great in games they're winning and controlling. 

Sure, and I don't have a problem with that. 

But so many are trying to crown this guy like Dennis Green and I'm just not seeing it over the course of the season. 

Even the writers are giving this guy the backfield all to himself. I honestly think Rawls was/is still injured and will be back in some form, be it a share or possibly taking over. 

Mostly i cant stand it when some like @SharkSwimmertry to give counter evidence and just gets shouted down. It's not doing anyone any good to come onto these boards and give out bro-fives on hype trains. 

Would anyone here rather have Mixon than Carson? Just as bad of an Oline, Wilson is better QB than Dalton, team's WR Cin is better, Def Sea is a bit better as well. So who would you rather have ROS? Still Carson? Not trying to talk s--- about Carson cuz I am having the same question in the Mixon thread too. Just trying to see if its worth to trade my Mixon for Carson that's all.

billydough--

Thanks for the shout-out.  But I have always been a lone voice, crying out in the wilderness.  It is my lot in life.

Also, you Carson-owning team managers might want to try to move him now for some proven commodity, since his perceived value is through the roof. That matchup v. Indy is looming, and it probably will not be the cakewalk everyone is making it out to be.

Fuzy--

Good comp but I think Mixon has the better short and long term prospects due to his draft pedigree, his truly exceptional vision and burst, and the quality of the competition.  Sending Mixon away to get Carson is one of those moves that could really blow up in your face.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

billydough--

Thanks for the shout-out.  But I have always been a lone voice, crying out in the wilderness.  It is my lot in life.

Also, you Carson-owning team managers might want to try to move him now for some proven commodity, since his perceived value is through the roof. That matchup v. Indy is looming, and it probably will not be the cakewalk everyone is making it out to be.

Seattle historically plays much better at home than on the road.

There is strong reason to believe carson is in for a 20 carry night in Sunday.

If in fact you wanted to sell.Carson the prudent thing to do would be to let carson blow up for you and then sell high cause those SEA oline woes on the road aint going away.

Ive agreed with sharkswimmer a lot over the last 2 years.

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

billydough--

I actually tried this yesterday and sent him in a package for Kennon Allen but then the trade was vetoed. (league vote not in my favor, 5-3) His value is all over the place. beauty is in the eyes of the beholder ya know. So anyways yea it was prob vetoed because every damn manager in my league had a diff opinion about his ros outlook. 

Edited by chud12
19 hours ago, kdko said:

Dude, he tore his ACL as early as high school, and had multiple injuries throughout college.  Why do you think he was drafted in the 7th?  Because he was healthy and excelled throughout his collegiate career.  Get real.

I'm a big Oklahoma State fan, so I think it's fair to say that I followed Carson's collegiate career much closer than you did. He tore his ACL in high school and hasn't had any significant injuries since then.  That doesn't make him "injury prone." 

I previously explained exactly why he fell in the draft if you care to search back through this thread. 

Edited by OrangeAggie
26 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

billydough--

Tried capitalizing on the Carson hype and offered him for Henry after that train deflated this past weekend since I have Murray. But he didn't bite.

6 hours ago, dashoe said:

Pete Carroll has a publicly verbal love affair with every rb he rostered since the beastmode era. i dont anticipate that changing and I can give u odds that next season there will be another seattle rb thread debating who will be the next starting rb in competition with Carson

Yep,in fact I just heard him on Sirius/XM not 20 minutes ago saying he can't wait to see what Eddy and Thomas will bring to the table in the coming weeks.

46 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

billydough--

Problem is, the players worth moving him for are mostly overvalued by their owners due to name brand.

At that point, makes more sense to hold on and hopefully let him increase his trade value. He's the starter on a good defensive team. That's valuable no matter the format, scoring or situation. Unless you firmly believe Carson will lose his job to Rawls or Lacy, makes no sense to sell yet. Easiest RB schedule ROS.

1 hour ago, billydough said:

Wow the circle jerk is strong in here. 

Here's a little dose of reality people: Seattle has been wretchedly inconsistent on offense dating back to the start of 2016. Literally nothing has changed with this team since then.  One week Wilson looks good, the next looks horrid. It has been stated ad nauseum on here already but Seattle has a very bad O line. 

Do you all really think CC is all this offense has been missing the last year?  That he is that much better than CMike and Rawls, that he can make up for the terrible line play?  

I dont. And I think a lot of owners are going to be unhappy if/when this guy doesn't put up "top 5" or even RB2 numbers consistently.

But by all means, carry on the CJ within your echo chamber. Just tell the next guy in to bring the lotion

As an unbiased observer who has been forced to watch the wildly inconsistent seahawks for the last few years the answer is a resounding yes. They haven't had a RB as good as Carson since Marshawn. The offense was far less erratic and much more balanced back then. I'm not suggesting Carson is the second coming but he's clearly the best RB since Lynch and over a somewhat small sample size has both been really good and it's no mistake that Seattles offense finally looked good last week when Carson was heavily involved.

For the record I'm not expecting a top 5 or even a top 12 guy but with the severe lack of feature backs out there it's completely reasonable to expect top 24 RB. For a waiver wire add that's got to make Most owners feel pretty good.

5 minutes ago, billydough said:

Sure, and I don't have a problem with that. 

But so many are trying to crown this guy like Dennis Green and I'm just not seeing it over the course of the season. 

Even the writers are giving this guy the backfield all to himself. I honestly think Rawls was/is still injured and will be back in some form, be it a share or possibly taking over. 

Mostly i cant stand it when some like @SharkSwimmertry to give counter evidence and just gets shouted down. It's not doing anyone any good to come onto these boards and give out bro-fives on hype trains. 

He gave very poor counter evidence, that's why. Good reasoning and it's another story. But I agree there's a lot of overhyping in general on these boards, you simply have to wade through and look for the good reasoning, shut out the nonsense. You have a fair point about the state of the Seahawks offense so far and the oline in particular for example. And nowhere did I personally say that he's a lock for a three-down role and top 5 back ROS, other than that he has a huge opportunity this week to play himself into an even more cemented role. There's still things to be proven.

But close to everything dating back to camp have hinted this guy has bigtime potential to take this job and run away with it. Everything from eye test to both schematic (zone one-cut and bang) and philosophical (aggressive, physical style) fit in this offense to comments from coaches and veteran team mates to advanced metrics so far during regular season; he's 2nd among all RBs after Kareem Hunt in both broken tackle rate (1. Hunt, 2. Carson, 3. Howard, 4. Ajayi, 5. Lynch) and PFF's elusive rating (1. Hunt, 2. Carson, 3. Lynch, 4. Howard, 5. Stewart), good yards after contact etc. Things like this suggesting he creates on his own which is generally what separates good running backs from the pack.

He is adept in passing game, shown good enough pass blocking, obvious best fit for short yardage and GL role. There is too much hinting on him being able to handle a three-down feature back role in this offense along with this sudden opening in opportunity to not get excited. So many things clicking at once isn't that common.

However, the hype is getting a bit out of control (top 5 talk) mainly due to what you mention: the oline. On the other hand, what can overcome a poor oline to an extent is a back who can create on his own. If (I lean when) they get this together we know Seahawks are among the most lucrative environments for fantasy RBs with their run mentality and elite defense.

18 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

@billydough @SharkSwimmer don't waste your time trying to talk sense to these people.  They're too far gone.  Carson is the reincarnation of '08 AP and we're the idiots for not jumping in head-first.

:lol:

Wow! Talk about over exaggerating.  I don't think anyone here is saying he is '08 AP.

All I know is facts and the facts are so far in 2017 he has the 3rd highest grade out of RBs.  He leads the league in broken tackles and is 3rd highest in yards after contact.  NOT BAD FOR A GUY THAT HAS THE WORST OLINE IN THE NFL.  Maybe that's why we are a little excited to see what th he kid can do the rest of the season.

5 minutes ago, codog24 said:

I'm grabbing Rawls anywhere I can get him. Kudos for those that got Carson but would it "really" surprise you if Rawls tore it up this week?

Rawls? Yes. Would it shock me if they ended up in some awful 50/40/10 split and all were underwhelming, not really.

23 minutes ago, FuzyLucker said:

Would anyone here rather have Mixon than Carson? Just as bad of an Oline, Wilson is better QB than Dalton, team's WR Cin is better, Def Sea is a bit better as well. So who would you rather have ROS? Still Carson? Not trying to talk s--- about Carson cuz I am having the same question in the Mixon thread too. Just trying to see if its worth to trade my Mixon for Carson that's all.

So many things to unpack on both fronts... Mixon came in as the heralded rookie coming into a crowded backfield. Carson came in as the unheralded rookie coming into a crowded backfield. Mixon has straight won the lead back duties from Hill purely on talent. People expected it to happen this season, but he has appeared to taken it by force. Carson won--and I say that in a much less convincing fashion--the job partly due to Lacy being trash and Rawls being injured. Going forward, it seems that the Cincinnati coaching staff is sold on Mixon being the guy (and with the new OC force-feeding him last game, it seems clear). The actions of the Seattle coaching staff suggest that they're sold on Carson, but the words have been far less convincing, with Carroll talking up Rawls and Lacy as options this week.

I own Carson. I'm starting him in my flex this week. But I think his situation is slightly less certain than Mixon. 

1 hour ago, FuzyLucker said:

I would trade Carson to get Mixon the second the proposal hit my inbox.

The Bengals have the pieces for a more dynamic offense

33 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

So many things to unpack on both fronts... Mixon came in as the heralded rookie coming into a crowded backfield. Carson came in as the unheralded rookie coming into a crowded backfield. Mixon has straight won the lead back duties from Hill purely on talent. People expected it to happen this season, but he has appeared to taken it by force. Carson won--and I say that in a much less convincing fashion--the job partly due to Lacy being trash and Rawls being injured. Going forward, it seems that the Cincinnati coaching staff is sold on Mixon being the guy (and with the new OC force-feeding him last game, it seems clear). The actions of the Seattle coaching staff suggest that they're sold on Carson, but the words have been far less convincing, with Carroll talking up Rawls and Lacy as options this week.

I own Carson. I'm starting him in my flex this week. But I think his situation is slightly less certain than Mixon. 

I completely agree with what you said but here is my take after all Sea does have the easiest RB schedule for the ROS don't know about CIN's, Wilson being a mobile QB do generally helps the RB and with Ross and Eiffert on the sideline for however long they like to stay there just about the entire CIN offense isn't quite up to par with SEA but SEA isn't an offensive juggernaut either but just slight better. Anyone agree?

19 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I would trade Carson to get Mixon the second the proposal hit my inbox.

The Bengals have the pieces for a more dynamic offense

You are downplaying Carson's awesomeness.  A dynamic offense is nice, but Carson doesn't need that.  He's a STUD RB1!  Get on the train now before it's too late.  The only guys I would rather have than Carson are LeVeon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot, Kareem Hunt, LeSean McCoy, DeVonte Freeman, Ty Montgomery, Leonard Fournette, Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Jay Ajayi, Delvin Cook, & Carlos Hyde.  And that may not be giving the guy enough credit.  He'll dash and dodge his way around tacklers, but if they get in his way he'll just bowl them over.  STUD RB1!!!!

3 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

You are downplaying Carson's awesomeness.  A dynamic offense is nice, but Carson doesn't need that.  He's a STUD RB1!  Get on the train now before it's too late.  The only guys I would rather have than Carson are LeVeon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot, Kareem Hunt, LeSean McCoy, DeVonte Freeman, Ty Montgomery, Leonard Fournette, Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Jay Ajayi, Delvin Cook, & Carlos Hyde.  And that may not be giving the guy enough credit.  He'll dash and dodge his way around tacklers, but if they get in his way he'll just bowl them over.  STUD RB1!!!!

Dude, look at my signature. I already own Carson. I prefer Mixon to own for the season.

I am sure you are just taking the piss. . .:mellow:

Edited by dashoe