NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giovani Bernard 2017 season outlook

Back from ACL injury and supposedly had a great recovery and rehab and is back to 100%. Reports also state that he looks great in camp. RB53 ADP currently in PPR leagues on FFC. 

For a late round pick, he could be a solid RB roster depth for PPR leagues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2017-09-03 at 4:24 PM, petekrum said:

He's bye week filler at best.

And likely only really in PPR leagues.  3rd option on his own team, coming off an ACL injury, pretty much relegated to passing downs and a bit of mop-up duty.

Gio was a borderline RB2 last season before his injury. I really don't think the addition of Mixon takes away many of his touches. He is the Bengals passing/3rd down back and I doubt that's going to change. Mixon will take Hills snaps, not Gio's. I think that was evident in the Bengals 3rd preseason game, where Bernard looked healthy and like his old self.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

Bernard led the backfield in touches last week.  Is he worth a roster spot?   Could it be when the Bengals start scoring some points then he could have better games?

I like him as a bench guy in PPR leagues. He's not someone I'd ever want to start, but he's a serviceable plug-in during byes / when dealing with injuries. I imagine he'll still have a similar role even after Mixon's ascension, if it ever happens.

17 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

Bernard led the backfield in touches last week.  Is he worth a roster spot?   Could it be when the Bengals start scoring some points then he could have better games?

If the Bengals continue playing the way they did, then yes. I think that's the only reason he got so many touches. I agree with Vendetta though & put in a waiver for him because I have nobody at RB in my Yahoo league.

Edited by jd from da 80s

I don't know what to make of Gio this season. The whole Bengals offense has looked like a dumpster fire the past two weeks, but getting rid of the OC may finally give them life. I believe in Gio's talent, and think he'll retain his third-down/passing back role if/when Mixon ascends, but the outlook is certainly cloudy right now. For now, he's non-startable bench depth in PPR, and waiver wire fodder in standard. 

2 minutes ago, Mek Daddy said:

I don't know what to make of Gio this season. The whole Bengals offense has looked like a dumpster fire the past two weeks, but getting rid of the OC may finally give them life. I believe in Gio's talent, and think he'll retain his third-down/passing back role if/when Mixon ascends, but the outlook is certainly cloudy right now. For now, he's non-startable bench depth in PPR, and waiver wire fodder in standard. 

it's a good thing that he out snapped hill/mixon though so there is that

I don't think a flier on Gio is all that crazy. He might be available in many leagues. With so much unknown in CIN, a veteran with proven playmaking ability (PPR production) might be just what a new coordinator needs. They will definitely improve and get their act together, there's too much talent and history there. So which RB will be a part of it?

Feel like in 5 weeks we could be sitting here saying we should've seen Gio emerge as he often has.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...