NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wendell Smallwood 2017 Season Outlook

3 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Anyone planning on rolling Smallwood out there this week now that he’s back? I picked him up in my PPR league, but with Fat Rob also due to come back this week and McKinnon currently tearing it up, I’m wondering if he’s ever going to wind up starting for me, even in the flex spot (Zeke and Shady are typically locked in as my starters, with McKinnon in the flex spot).

Do you guys think he’s still a must hold in 10 team leagues, if nothing else than for bench depth?

Wendell Smallwood will never be a MUST HOLD, in any league. I really depends on people's teams. In PPR he's not bad and a decent flex option. I'd put him behind McKinnon but ahead of Fat Rob, in your example. 

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Clement has disappointed, so I expect Smallwood to get some touches. I don’t expect huge numbers, but wouldn’t be surprised with 15 in ppr. 

He should slide back into the passing down back role and get a good amount of touches. 

10 hours ago, ywallet said:

Smallwood vs M Mack vs Powell in standard league?

I'm debating dropping Rawls for him in standard (probably shouldn't b/c of Lagarette Blount)... Smallwood looks pretty electric/agile at times, and I'm wondering if there is a nice ceiling that the fantasy community is overlooking. I mean... it's only his second season right? 

then again, you hear things like "he doesn't have vision" or "he goes down at first contact" and it makes you  wonder.... it's also not comforting that Player Profiler likens him to Felix Jones 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Blount has been running well, and will still get GL carries regardless, and this will probably be a committee no matter what. Has upside if he can become RB1 instead of RB2. Will probably get his 10-15 touches a week, but barring an injury to Blount or some great running by Smallwood, seems a bit of a longshot to become the RB1 in Philly. Kind of similar to Duke Johnson--catch some passes, make some plays here and there and have some good games, but not enough touches to be consistent in fantasy. I'll be watching to see if he can become the 1A in Philly......has a good matchup next week with SF. 

Sproles was the #1 rb option on this team before going down.

Smallwood stepped up and had good weeks back to back before his injury.

I think the pass catching RB on this pass happy offense is the guy to own. 

22 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

Clement has disappointed, so I expect Smallwood to get some touches. I don’t expect huge numbers, but wouldn’t be surprised with 15 in ppr. 

15 in PPR? Only if he scores a TD and does exceptionally well. I expect a weekly output of 7-9 pts from him in PPR.

19 minutes ago, Squidward said:

I can't decide if I want to hold or drop (PPR). I wish they would phase our Clement but he's still a part of the game plan so I can't figure out if Smallwood is a hold or not :(

He got 10 touches in his first game back and is highly involved for one of the best offenses in the league, not sure what you are looking for.

Yeah, I was frustrated with his usage as they went more with Blount and Clement in the 2nd half but, it was his first game back after missing a couple weeks so, maybe they're easing him in.  To me, Blount and Clement didn't look that great so, Wendell is a hold for me.

I just noticed that Smallwood gets SF next week. Definitely holding him because I think he'll put up 10+ points in PPR because almost every RB against the 49ers does. Would it be crazy to play him or do you guys think it's more of a wait and see situation?

3 minutes ago, Squidward said:

I just noticed that Smallwood gets SF next week. Definitely holding him because I think he'll put up 10+ points in PPR because almost every RB against the 49ers does. Would it be crazy to play him or do you guys think it's more of a wait and see situation?

Good point regarding SF.  I think he may be a solid play this week.  I'm considering it as well.

49 minutes ago, Squidward said:

Legit flex based on matchup.  Keep in mind though, SF is so bad offensively, game script could go the way of Blount salting the 2nd half away

I don't know why rotoworld has Smallwood ranked so high in their waiver wired article, calling him an RB3. They mentioned his snap count and how he was up there with Blount, but he was losing a ton to Clement. They conveniently left that part out. The way they use those 3 none of them are fantasy startable until someone gets down to thin out the herd

5 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I don't know why rotoworld has Smallwood ranked so high in their waiver wired article, calling him an RB3. They mentioned his snap count and how he was up there with Blount, but he was losing a ton to Clement. They conveniently left that part out. The way they use those 3 none of them are fantasy startable until someone gets down to thin out the herd

I genuinely don't know if this guy is worth a hold let alone a start, thought he looked good yesterday coming back from injury and he's on quite possibly the best team in the league right now. But with Wentz slinging it so well, and the fact Smallwood barely got looked at in the 2nd half I don't know what to do with this guy 

5 hours ago, Krustyburger said:

I genuinely don't know if this guy is worth a hold let alone a start, thought he looked good yesterday coming back from injury and he's on quite possibly the best team in the league right now. But with Wentz slinging it so well, and the fact Smallwood barely got looked at in the 2nd half I don't know what to do with this guy 

I'd think Philadelphia will look for ways to take some pressure of Wentz by figuring out other ways to win...like you said, their offense is pretty one dimensional right now...that works great until one guy has a bad day. I'm thinking the front office knows they have a good thing going right now and I'm sure they'd love to figure out how to get more from the run game so they don't have to ask so much of their second year QB come the final quarter of the season.