NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Wendell Smallwood 2017 Season Outlook

bgar15

On 9/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, kball09 said:

That's a pretty "doom and gloom" opinion there. If Smallwood is running well on 1st/2nd, he's going to get opportunities on 3rd and at the goal line. It will be evident after a game or two, but he's the only player of the three that has a *chance* to be a three down back.

I'm sorry but so long as Blount is on the roster and healthy the chances of anyone but him getting 90%+ of all goal line and short yardage work are very slim.  It's the only reason for Philly to keep him.

Sproles and possibly Pumphrey (if active) will get 3rd down and playing-from-behind work.  I think Smallwood has a role as a 1st/2nd down guy only without goal line.  It's pretty hard to project that forward into even flex consideration.  However, an injury or roster move (Blount cut?) could change things so Smallwood has some upside.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, affliction said:

It was via M Berry. I guess some have to wait for the rotoworld blurb..

Theyre probably the same people who said Kareem Hunt would be in a committe on Thursday.

IMO nothing has changed.  This backfield has been a question mark for weeks now and maybe today we will get clarity.

Smallwood is and HAS BEEN a good stash.  Todays bleacher report notification isnt really NEW news.  

Nothing left to do but see how it plays out.

Edited by Funkenstein

4 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

Theyre probably the same people who said Kareem Hunt would be in a committe on Thursday.

But they aren't... Berry was actually high on Hunt. I'm obviously not saying you should take Berry's word here. But maybe look up the facts before you post false information here?

Edited by kobe24

1 minute ago, kobe24 said:

But they aren't... Berry was actually high on Hunt. I'm obviously not saying you should take Berry's word here. But maybe look up the facts before you post false nonsense here?

Wait, my post was false nonsense?  OK.

Pretty sure you knew what I meant in my first sentence. Its just talking heads doing their thing.  

Edited by Funkenstein

Look at the facts: 

1.Eagles were rbbc last season with a gimpy ryan matthews. Wendell couldnt take over the starting job then.

2. Blount is brought in and Wendell couldnt take lead role the entire offseason 

Conclusion: Eagles are still a rbbc for this season and the only guy with the defined week to week dependable role is Sproles

11 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Look at the facts: 

1.Eagles were rbbc last season with a gimpy ryan matthews. Wendell couldnt take over the starting job then.

Conclusion: Eagles are still a rbbc for this season and the only guy with the defined week to week dependable role is Sproles

Wendell had an excellent camp this year and he was only a rookie last year to be fair. If Wendell produces he will play, its that simple. We'll just have to wait and see. 

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Look at the facts: 

1. Patriots won the Super Bowl as the best team in the league last year.

2. Patriots further improved their skill players with gilislee and burkhead and cooks.

conclusion: patriots will beat chiefs week 1

4 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

1. Patriots won the Super Bowl as the best team in the league last year.

2. Patriots further improved their skill players with gilislee and burkhead and cooks.

conclusion: patriots will beat chiefs week 1

Do you write for Jimmy Fallon? :P

Edited by dashoe

• jbshaw locked this topic
  • jbshaw unlocked this topic
9 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

So.... who has the insight on what happened here?

Blount looked good when there was some room to run. The backfield is all his with Sproles mixed in as a change of pace and passing down back. Smallwood has no role besides an occasional carry. Smallwood also sucked and was a bonehead on a couple runs.

16 hours ago, BrokeLoser said:

Still wondering how this guy went from "will get a heavy workload" to getting almost no workload. 

Lol.  I admit, I am so desperate to get another runner, I picked up Smalls......didn't play him, but was hoping.  I'm now convinced Philly is not going to use him as a feature back as long as Blount is there. 

On 9/10/2017 at 8:48 AM, affliction said:

Just got a notification said he might be featured today 

On 9/10/2017 at 8:52 AM, affliction said:

Bleacher report 

Friendly reminder that bleacher report is an absolute garbage fan based website that revolves around click bait and stupid rumors 

4 carries. FOUR

I'm still holding on simply because Blount is a post 30 year old back and he's just a plodder at this point in his career. In this Eagles offense 3.3 yards per carry is pretty much what he's gonna be. Can Smallwood outperform him? I'm willing to hold on for a few weeks to find out. I don't want to drop right now. 

14 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

I'm still holding on simply because Blount is a post 30 year old back and he's just a plodder at this point in his career. In this Eagles offense 3.3 yards per carry is pretty much what he's gonna be. Can Smallwood outperform him? I'm willing to hold on for a few weeks to find out. I don't want to drop right now. 

On 9/12/2017 at 9:17 AM, TennisMenace said:

Lol.  I admit, I am so desperate to get another runner, I picked up Smalls......didn't play him, but was hoping.  I'm now convinced Philly is not going to use him as a feature back as long as Blount is there. 

It seems like the writing should be on the wall in Philly...not sure WTF happened Sunday....Smallish as their primary early down back, Sproles in on 3rd and long and Blount as the goal line / short yardage smasher. I'm holding for now...it just makes sense.