NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jaylen Brown 2017 - 2018 Season Outlook

Unlike most rookies Jaylen Brown was getting run in the playoffs for a 1st seed team. In my opinion he had a solid rookie year overall.

Post-All Star Break he averaged 9 points on 49% FG and 38% from three.

As a starting guard in 14 games he averaged 11 pts 4 reb 0.7 stl on 46%FG/40%3pt shooting splits.

After he adjusted to the NBA his shooting percentages absolutely soared and now the Kyrie trade has opened up a clearer path for minutes.

Thoughts?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top 5 player this year 

Now sell Brown back to the Hayward owner at a 1000% markup  

He's the 2nd leading scorer in the NBA right now

Will be between him and Tatum.. brown should have the starting spot and the minutes locked down early but I can see Tatum pushing him for his spot half way through the year... brown I will be looking at drafting at the start of the year as a late pick but will use him as trade bait as soon as Tatum has a good week (big fan of Tatum..) crowder gone will have him excited though 

I really think in early preseason drafts Tatum will be getting taken based on his SL play but Brown should be the one drafted. Brown looks poised for really strong multi-position versatility stat lines, where as I think Tatum will need time to figure things out in a loaded offense. I see Brown being more of a swiss army knife and I'm thinking he's the guy I prefer between the two.. will be interesting to watch how they both play in preseason.

I'd expect he benefits the most here minutes wise, I still need to see in preseason what lineups get rolled out before i get too excited. Size-wise their frontcourt is so small. I expected Crowder to play a lot at the 4 this season. Teams are going to try and force them to go big and keep the speedy youngsters off the floor. Horford, Baynes, Morris rotation will be seen a lot due to matchups.

Pretty much the 1 year nba experience and defense will keep Brown on the floor. However, Tatum is pretty fast and athletic too so there is a chance he will eat into some minutes later on in the year. 

I hope morris plays the 4 though. He is mostly a 3 in Det.

6 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Pretty much the 1 year nba experience and defense will keep Brown on the floor. However, Tatum is pretty fast and athletic too so there is a chance he will eat into some minutes later on in the year. 

I hope morris plays the 4 though. He is mostly a 3 in Det.

He actually played a lot more PF than SF according to 82games. He and Tobias Harris split some SF/PF duties, but in shared lineups Morris was usually the 4 and Tobias the 3.

He only played 3 when Jon Leuer was in, but overall he played a good bit more PF than SF.

Edited by s-kayos
1 hour ago, s-kayos said:

He actually played a lot more PF than SF according to 82games. He and Tobias Harris split some SF/PF duties, but in shared lineups Morris was usually the 4 and Tobias the 3.

He only played 3 when Jon Leuer was in, but overall he played a good bit more PF than SF.

Didn't know that. I had him plugged in my SF position all the time and thought Tobias was the 4 lol

22 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

Even with decent PT whats Brown's ceiling?  I'm thinking

14ppg

5reb

somewhere between 1.5-1.8 stocks

1 three 

??

Probably worth drafting in rounds 8-10 as a potential top 100 player with 1/1/1 upside?  

Brown averaged 0.6 bpg in college and last year averaged 0.5 p/36 (0.2 actual), so I'm not sure about the 1/1/1.

He has a very high real life IQ but a very low basketball IQ (weird combination), which in part is why his -6.48 Pure Point Rating was the worst in his draft class among non-bigs and it wasn't close.  

He was the #166 player in last month's Summer League, which is where you expect 2nd-year players to show improvement. He looked pretty bad with 40% FG, 62% FT, and 4 TO's per game. Poor shot selection/decision making.

We'll see how he looks in preseason coming up, but I don't see him in the top 100 in fantasy this year.   

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kaboom said:

Brown averaged 0.6 bpg in college and last year averaged 0.5 p/36 (0.2 actual), so I'm not sure about the 1/1/1.

He has a very high real life IQ but a very low basketball IQ (weird combination), which in part is why his -6.48 Pure Point Rating was the worst in his draft class among non-bigs and it wasn't close.  

He was the #166 player in last month's Summer League, which is where you expect 2nd-year players to show improvement. He looked pretty bad with 40% FG, 62% FT, and 4 TO's per game. Poor shot selection/decision making.

We'll see how he looks in preseason coming up, but I don't see him in the top 100 in fantasy this year.   

Similar thoughts, I was just projecting his ceiling/upside.  He had stretches of horrendous shooting in college.  Surprised me with 45% last year + 34% threes.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2017 at 6:18 PM, Lifschitz said:

I really think in early preseason drafts Tatum will be getting taken based on his SL play but Brown should be the one drafted. Brown looks poised for really strong multi-position versatility stat lines, where as I think Tatum will need time to figure things out in a loaded offense. I see Brown being more of a swiss army knife and I'm thinking he's the guy I prefer between the two.. will be interesting to watch how they both play in preseason.

I'd like to take back what I said here.

I'm starting to get a 'Jeff Green' vibe from Brown. He's got all the athletic tools and abilities in the world, a pretty looking jumpshot, and yet when you stare at the box score he seems to have poor shooting %'s and little to no dent on the counting stats. Tatum is clearly the superior option and more well-rounded player efficiency wise/across the board. Out of all the NBA players I've seen, Jeff Green was the one whom dumbfounded me most. I could not understand how he looks so good visually speaking and then just disappear into obscurity the entire season.

I feel like Brown should be treated similarly to Stanley Johnson - do not draft until he proves otherwise and then pounce on the wire if he strings together a solid week - two weeks of games. 

2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I'm starting to get a 'Jeff Green' vibe from Brown. He's got all the athletic tools and abilities in the world, a pretty looking jumpshot, and yet when you stare at the box score he seems to have poor shooting %'s and little to no dent on the counting stats. Tatum is clearly the superior option and more well-rounded player efficiency wise/across the board. Out of all the NBA players I've seen, Jeff Green was the one whom dumbfounded me most. I could not understand how he looks so good visually speaking and then just disappear into obscurity the entire season.

I feel like Brown should be treated similarly to Stanley Johnson - do not draft until he proves otherwise and then pounce on the wire if he strings together a solid week - two weeks of games. 

Agreed. Whoever legitimately performs for the playoff bound Celtics will get mins. If Brown doesn't prove he can get minutes, then I wouldn't pick him up because the Celtics want production now (Tatum).

6 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I agree with most of this. The Stanley Johnson angle is good fantasy comp.

But I will say that Jeff Green played in a maddeningly disinterested way 90% of the time. At least Jaylen looks like he wants to dunk on everyone on the court every possession. I always wanted to see that fire in Jeff Green. Green with a killer instinct could have been a different creature.

7 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

This is pretty funny. I was watching him play and Jeff Green was exactly who popped into my mind as a comp. Go figure :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think hes a must add. I dont know how he will pan out but theres no doubt some other team will take him if you dont. It could be Tatum, Smart or Morris  as the main beneficiaries also but not sure how Brown doesnt see 30mpg plus.

I cut Hayward for him no questions asked in a keeper league. A the very least, the minutes will be there for him to succeed.

And yes, Hayward's injury is horrific from a real life perspective, but this is a fantasy forum so there will be plenty of comments and speculation as to what this means for our teams here.