NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jaylen Brown 2017 - 2018 Season Outlook

Just now, KKPer9 said:

The people calling overreacting are most likely salty about someone else grabbing him.

These are the facts:

Gordon Hayward is out for the year

Brown played nearly 40 minutes tonight

He took more shot attempts then Kyrie Irving

He's 20 years old

If this Gordon injury happens before the season started, Brown would go mid-round in all drafts based on PT and potential. I apologize to all the fellas who missed out on picking him up but you guys need to come to your senses. This is not some scrub who is going to benefit from an injury ala The Bulls situation with Mirotic being out. This is a highly touted prospect who was already in the starting role who will see his minutes jump with Hayward gone as we saw tonight. The usage and role within the C's plans will be enhanced. And Marcus Morris returning isn't going to threaten that whatsoever.  Morris is just a role player. To those who nabbed him, enjoy the ride.

Cant say it any better. Kudos

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top 5 player this year 

Now sell Brown back to the Hayward owner at a 1000% markup  

He's the 2nd leading scorer in the NBA right now

16 minutes ago, x2tweaker said:

I have a waiver auction budget of $200 for the season. How much is a good bid for him? Is he the real deal to throw out 25% ?

You should go at least 1/3 but this isn't that type of thread

1 hour ago, KKPer9 said:

The people calling overreacting are most likely salty about someone else grabbing him.

These are the facts:

Gordon Hayward is out for the year

Brown played nearly 40 minutes tonight

He took more shot attempts then Kyrie Irving

He's 20 years old

If this Gordon injury happens before the season started, Brown would go mid-round in all drafts based on PT and potential. I apologize to all the fellas who missed out on picking him up but you guys need to come to your senses. This is not some scrub who is going to benefit from an injury ala The Bulls situation with Mirotic being out. This is a highly touted prospect who was already in the starting role who will see his minutes jump with Hayward gone as we saw tonight. The usage and role within the C's plans will be enhanced. And Marcus Morris returning isn't going to threaten that whatsoever.  Morris is just a role player. To those who nabbed him, enjoy the ride.

Yup, this...  just dropped Donovan Mitchell for him, a bit painful because DM seems like a BC but hey, we dont know his playing time and as for Brown, whether he played 40 or 30 today, the guy who was keeping him from playing 35+ is now out, so I was frankly surprised he was still available in my league, but hey, I may just think about reselling to Gordon's owner LOL, that'll be fun since usually he always tries to rape me on deals, see what he does now.

He aint Chris Mullen but I wouldnt say his jumper is "broken"... if he hits 3's, steals, and points with some added blocks here and there, for a FAP, not sure anyone can complain.  Have you watched him?  He is pretty boss in a few area, including D, strength to the rim, and threes.

Edited by JMASTERJ

i wonder what position he'll most likely fill?

he started at SG, but moved over to the 3.

I could see Morris taking over the 4, when he comes back, then maybe Brown will move back to SG.

Him possibly having SG, SF & PF eligibility in ESPN is big.

Brown's weaknesses thus far have been his shooting, very shaky handle, and lack of impact on the defensive stats despite his athletic tools.

So far he seems to have scratched off one of those issues early on (his shot looked promising in preseason even if the efficiency results weren't there), and he had 3 steals this game. That being said, I'm not completely sold on his impact outside of PPG and 3's with poor %'s and lack of stocks, need bigger game samples to judge. The opportunity is there though, so that alone makes him worthy of a roster spot. 

Boston is hiding his weaknesses right now, in those highlights alone he doesn't have any isolation situations. They put him in as a slasher, catch and shoot, and he's good at finishing in the open court. He'll get exposed if he had the ball in his hands in 1 on 1s, that handle needs a few more years of refining. This system is a good fit for him because of the spacing and ball movement. Kyrie / Horford will find him plenty to get his 13 - 15 PPG this year (that's where I have him pegged currently). 

One caveat I'd like to mention is that the Cavs are actually pretty bad defensively. The personnel aren't very good, Crowder is an overrated defender, Korver, Derrick Rose, JR Smith, Kevin Love are all pretty bad. They've had good team defense up to now, but a lot of the pieces they added are pretty bad 1 on 1 defenders (outside of Crowder). 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Lifschitz said:

Brown's weaknesses thus far have been his shooting, very shaky handle, and lack of impact on the defensive stats despite his athletic tools.

So far he seems to have scratched off one of those issues early on (his shot looked promising in preseason even if the efficiency results weren't there), and he had 3 steals this game. That being said, I'm not completely sold on his impact outside of PPG and 3's with poor %'s and lack of stocks, need bigger game samples to judge. The opportunity is there though, so that alone makes him worthy of a roster spot. 

Boston is hiding his weaknesses right now, in those highlights alone he doesn't have any isolation situations. They put him in as a slasher, catch and shoot, and he's good at finishing in the open court. He'll get exposed if he had the ball in his hands in 1 on 1s, that handle needs a few more years of refining. 

One caveat I'd like to mention is that the Cavs are actually pretty bad defensively. The personnel aren't very good, Crowder is an overrated defender, Korver, Derrick Rose, JR Smith, Kevin Love are all pretty bad. They've had good team defense up to now, but a lot of the pieces they added are pretty bad 1 on 1 defenders (outside of Crowder). 

slasher is perfect for them being as kyrie and horford will be facilitating. 

40 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Boston is hiding his weaknesses right now, in those highlights alone he doesn't have any isolation situations. They put him in as a slasher, catch and shoot, and he's good at finishing in the open court. He'll get exposed if he had the ball in his hands in 1 on 1s, that handle needs a few more years of refining. This system is a good fit for him because of the spacing and ball movement. Kyrie / Horford will find him plenty to get his 13 - 15 PPG this year (that's where I have him pegged currently). 

Obviously he's not an ISO guy, otherwise he would not had been on the WW in fantasy (despite him getting starter minutes before Hayward's injury). 20 yrs old, putting up 23 shots, while guarding arguably the best player in the league on the other end is definitely something that needs to be stated. This is exactly what Boston needs, with or without Hayward.

In that offense, he's going to get some switches and be able to post up guys. He had some pretty good face-up moves.

2 hours ago, ROTY said:

I'm not hating but damn ridiculous hype after one good game.

I'm seeing a lot of new faces around here compared to the past few years.. we used to have sensible conversations about guys being worth pick-ups and having a wait and see approach.. this forum unfortunately is derailing just like other channels on the internet and reminding me a bit of a youtube comments section. The same thing happened to RealGM over time on my Raptors forum.. 

DeRozan has one good game - "OMG AMAZING BEST PLAYER EVER ALLSTAR, THIS GUY GONNA CARRY US TO A CHAMPIONSHIP

DeRozan has a bad game the following game - "THIS GUY IS A ******** SCRUB, TRADE HIM, HORRIBLE"

we're seeing the same thing in fantasy land... just look at the donovan mitchell thread and this one.. zero objectivity, no foresight, one good game and he's crowned GOAT and has an amazing season outlook. His upside/talent/situation all warrant a roster spot on any team in any league size, but let's hold the horses a little bit on calling this guy the pick up of the year. I remember when Jonathon Simmons went off for the Spurs in the first few weeks and was the hottest pick up.. people were rushing here to pick him up and crowning him and I said hold your horses .. wait a few weeks.. 

There's a few factors at play here:

1. The off-season is a long one, people don't see ball for a long time so after 6 months and the NBA starting everyone is naturally excited.. once things settle in we'll have a better perspective after a few weeks. 

2. We live in an instant gratification society. People expect instant results, if its a good outcome - react instantly, a bad outcome - react instantly. 

3. We unfortunately don't know the age of the people we interact with online. I can tell you that a lot of these OMG HES SO HYPE comments are the same dudes I see on YouTube with avatars of themselves and most of them are in the 14 - 17 age group.. so the maturity level just isn't there.

It muddies the waters.. you get caught up in a whirlwind of reactions and you start questioning your own moves and whether you should be more hasty and reactionary, it creates a bandwagon effect because essentially you see so many people doing the same thing, that you think you have to get on board otherwise you're losing out. Some times the best move is no move (not in this situation with Brown, I'm just generally speaking).

It's gotten to the point where I'm basically arguing with people telling them not to drop valuable players for rookies who haven't played a single game, and they actually think I'm the dumb one for suggesting that..

4. Ultimately, peoples' biases play into it. No one who picked up a guy on their team is going to tell you both the good and bad of their pick up, they will all want him to do well and wish him to do well, so they will only give you the positives and argue with anyone who downplays him.

I try not to do that, and I would advise others to do the same. Look at all sides of the coin, even with your own players, it's a difficult thing to do to admit to yourself that certain players you picked up might not be as good as you think. 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, a-rob said:

why was he undrafted in so many leagues? Brown was named started since start of preseason, at the very least he should have been late round flyer

Because despite being young and highly picked, he had 3 guys that everyone expects to get the majority of usage/touches/shots. People expected he/Tatum/Smart/Morris to get the leftovers in terms of shots, which is a cause for inconsistent fantasy value. Additionally, he hasn't been promising up to this point, he had a decent summerleague where he averaged 17 ppg in I think 2 games, but he also shot 40% and around 65% - 70% from FT if I remember correctly. Despite his athleticism, he's never shown to have a knack for steals/blocks, going long-stretches without getting much in either category even when he did receive PT during his rookie season, during summer league, and during preseason. All those things combined projected him to be another inconsistent SF on the wire ala Kelly Oubre. Young with upside but doesn't offer great diversity and hurts you as much as he helps you.

Now, we have a different situation on our hands.

• Like 5