NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Javorius "Buck" Allen 2017 Season Outlook

wendellrott

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to pick-up Buck Allen as a FA after waivers ran last night. 

He was great for PPR in 2015 after Forsett went down. But was injured for the majority of 2016 and was unable to unseat West as the top Back  His pass catching was non-existent and ended up with no TDs last year. What are the expectations for him this year?

Edited by TheLegacy

39 minutes ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

Did he get any goal line or red zone carries on Sunday? 

1 RZ carry and 1 RZ target. Both came in the 3rd quarter on the same drive. The target came from inside the 10.

West had 2 RZ carries. Both coming from inside the 10.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894

CHOO CHOO

Ravens placed Danny Woodhead on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

Jeremy Langford was promoted off the practice squad in a corresponding move. Ian Rapoport reports Woodhead will not need surgery, and he is expected to return when first eligible after the Week 10 bye. Buck Allen should take on the majority of Woodhead's role until then.

8 minutes ago, klindsay87 said:

CHOO CHOO

Ravens placed Danny Woodhead on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

Jeremy Langford was promoted off the practice squad in a corresponding move. Ian Rapoport reports Woodhead will not need surgery, and he is expected to return when first eligible after the Week 10 bye. Buck Allen should take on the majority of Woodhead's role until then.

IMO, Langford hurts West, not Buck, if at all.

Langford worries me a bit as a proud new Allen owner.

Langford is a terrible runner, much like Allen.  He's also been used as a pass catcher a bit, but hasn't done it nearly to the level that Allen has.  He is still young though.  This is only his 3rd year. I think IFF he was to see any action it would be at the expense of Buck, but I do not foresee him seeing really any game action at all without injury to either West or Buck.

Regardless, when they decided to send Woodhead to IR they were either gonna promote their own practice squad RBs or they were going to poach someone else's (like maybe Matt Jones).  I'm not going to worry too much or change up anything at this stage... unless Buck gets injured.

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

1 hour ago, DezDynastyBryant said:

Langford is the definition of JAG, Allen is the superior pass catcher

The facts, to the extent that they matter:

Both are roughly 3.5 yards per carry guys.

Langford's career receiving numbers are better:

Allen -- 48 for 368 receiving

Langford -- 41 for 421 receiving

26 minutes ago, Bastardo! said:

The facts, to the extent that they matter:

Both are roughly 3.5 yards per carry guys.

Langford's career receiving numbers are better:

Allen -- 48 for 368 receiving

Langford -- 41 for 421 receiving

Let's not ignore the context though. The only real opportunity Allen had in the nfl was the final 7 games of the 2015 season. He caught 37 passes in those 7 games. Extrapolate those numbers over 16 games. He is a much better pass catcher than Langford and West.

I've read in multiple places that Langford "wasn't the same" after his injury last year. I watched a ton of tape on Allen during his draft year, and I think he's a great back... not the best in the world, but solid in all facets. I think he's about to get an opportunity to take the #1 role and relegate West to pure backup duties, but we'll see if he cashes in on that opportunity. I hope he does.

Did you guys who grabbed hims actually WATCH the game or were you just boxscore watching? The ONLY reason he out-touched West is because the game was a blowout and West was hardly used in the second half. Allen will be back to his usual 5-8 touches this week. He's a flex at best. Hope you guys didn't give up anything too valuable....

Edited by Dexter75

11 minutes ago, CuBu said:

wait this is buck allen who couldnt get snaps last year with terrance west being his only real competitor for touches?

Yes, he was behind West and Forsett/Dixon. Also the same Buck Allen that averaged 16 PPG over the last 7 games of the 2015 season in PPR.

3 minutes ago, kobe24 said:

Yes, he was behind West and Forsett/Dixon. Also the same Buck Allen that averaged 16 PPG over the last 7 games of the 2015 season in PPR.

lol last year ? what was his limitiation?

K dixon didnt see field either so this is a guy who couldnt get carries over west and still cant

Allen was hurt last year. He's healthy now and is the pass catching back with a team /QB that has a Pass it the the back alot fetish.

as a woodhead owner...I'm very excited to have been able to acquire Allen off waivers. Shouldn't see much of a drop off from woodheads role/productivity. Allen was good in 2015 in the same role when healthy.

1 minute ago, CuBu said:

lol last year ? what was his limitiation?

K dixon didnt see field either so this is a guy who couldnt get carries over west and still cant

Except he can, because he got 21 carries last week to West's 19--and the crux of his value is that he will have a monopoly on passing downs so this is just a foolish analysis all together.

31 minutes ago, Dexter75 said:

Did you guys who grabbed hims actually WATCH the game or were you just boxscore watching? The ONLY reason he out-touched West is because the game was a blowout and West was hardly used in the second half. Allen will be back to his usual 5-8 touches this week. He's a flex at best. Hope you guys didn't give up anything too valuable....

Who's hoping for anything more than a flex?

1 minute ago, paulwall29 said:

Except he can, because he got 21 carries last week to West's 19--and the crux of his value is that he will have a monopoly on passing downs so this is just a foolish analysis all together.

You were boxscore watching and obviously didn't watch the game. The ONLY reason he out-touched West is because the game was a blowout and West hardly played the 2nd half. Pay attention. 

Edited by Dexter75