NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dede Westbrook 2017 Season Outlook

26 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

My comparison to Henry was to illustrate a point which is relevant to Westbrook; a point that you don't understand.  Talent is not the only factor in fantasy football.  Far as I can tell, it's half of the equation.  Fantasy Output = Talent + Situation.  In fact talent might be less important.  Let's see how Jordy Nelson does rest of season with Hundley at QB.

So here's something constructive on Westbrook's situation this week:

- Bortles is awful. 

- Westbrook is...the second WR on his team? third?  Marqise Lee was a stud in college, too.

- The Jaguars pass less than anybody. 

- Game script this week vs Bengals will lend them to pass less.

Where do you get that Lee is gonna sit?

Marqise Lee - WR - Jaguars

Marqise Lee (knee) is not expected to practice Thursday.

It is his second missed practice in a row, which would usually make a player doubtful, but Lee did the exact same thing before playing Week 7. This is more concerning coming out of the bye, and the Jaguars could decide to rest Lee with Dede Westbrook expected back this week. His participation on Friday should tell the story.

Played last game injured caise he had to.

Now coming out of the bye he still is not practicing and dede is back, very good chance the jags rest Lee and run with DeDe, Hurns, and Cole and deactivate Grant so they can keep Yeldon active.

Ok, so an off the cuff statement about dede' situation is what i made and you try and marry that to the titans and derrick henry? Sure, knock yourself out.

DeDe will be the most talented WR for the jags as soon as he steps on the field. Of course talent does not trump situations or else the most talented players would score the most points everytime and fantasy football would be no fun.

Its like you are trying to nitpick a statement of mine and correlate it to derrick henry and it just comes off as sour grapes.

Dede will be the most talented WR on their roster the second he is activated.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
  • Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy has more upside then anyone other then Corey Davis.

It doesn't matter that Jags run more then pass, he can take a pass to the house.  He's not the type that needs tons of targets to make an impact, think Desean Jackson.  

Blake Bortles has eclipsed 250 yards once this year... Those are the facts you can have all the talent in the world but the situation is that they have a great defense and a great running back they are going to play toward their strengths and Bortles is not one. The times he has played a good defense they have limited him even more. Hes a great stash though and it may possibly work out for him and or have a blow up week or two but the team situation isn't conducive for sustainable success this season at least. 

Edited by NyCro
7 minutes ago, NyCro said:

Blake Bortles has eclipsed 250 yards once this year... Those are the facts you can have all the talent in the world but the situation is that they have a great defense and a great running back they are going to play toward their strengths and Bortles is not one. The times he has played a good defense they have limited him even more. Hes a great stash though and it may possibly work out for him and or have a blow up week or two but the team situation isn't conducive for sustainable success this season at least. 

There is no way to know that when the best receiver on your team before dede comes back was allen freakin hurns.

Bortles supposed to light up the NFL with Hurns and Lee? 

People are excited cause dede can take the top off the defense and with fournette commanding so much attention the playaction to dede could become very productive for fantasy purposes.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

There is no way to know that when the best receiver on your team before dede comes back was allen freakin hurns.

Peoplw are excited cause dede can tale the top off the defence and with fournette commanding so much attention the playaction to dede could become very productive for fantasy purposes.

Actually everybody in the organization came out and said they would pound the ball, play great defense.  Hiding their biggest weakness in Bortles.  Didn't matter if he had Julio Jones and Antonio Brown as WR's they are not gonna let Bortles beat themselves.  Having had Arob for back to back years, it wasn't Arob fault he sucked last year it was Bortles that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

People are excited cause dede can take the top off the defense and with fournette commanding so much attention the playaction to dede could become very productive for fantasy purposes.

parrallell view is his return creates enough change that Hurns benefits and can outproduce him fantasy wise.  Trying to get some 2:1 3:1 trades done so i can roster him on the bench

7 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Actually everybody in the organization came out and said they would pound the ball, play great defense.  Hiding their biggest weakness in Bortles.  Didn't matter if he had Julio Jones and Antonio Brown as WR's they are not gonna let Bortles beat themselves.  Having had Arob for back to back years, it wasn't Arob fault he sucked last year it was Bortles that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Or the Oline.

So bortles can hit the broad side of a barn now?

Bortles gave ARob a career year his rookie season, sucked last year, now has a shiny new franchise LT again and now he looks better.

The Bortles sucks comments the last couple years have been fun but not entirely accurate.

36 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Or the Oline.

So bortles can hit the broad side of a barn now?

Bortles gave ARob a career year his rookie season, sucked last year, now has a shiny new franchise LT again and now he looks better.

The Bortles sucks comments the last couple years have been fun but not entirely accurate.

Bortles stats are basically the same this year to last year.  Actually has a worse QBR then last year which is the best indicator of a QB's total performance. The difference is they have a great running game, defense and are limiting his attempts.   

2 hours ago, NyCro said:

Thinking they're going to have Blake Bortles air it out when they have a top defense and a stud RB is not logical. 

I'm going purely off stats, which I generally loathe. Bortles has thrown an average of 28 times a game (which is lowered by his 14 attempts at Pitt). He is completing roughly 16.4 passes per game. Fournette will get his 3 or so passes so we are down to 13. If Dede manages to corral 4 of those catches combined with his flashes of YAC skills, he's at least a solid WR3/Flex play. We don't need Bortles to throw 45 times a game for this kid to be fantasy relevant in PPR. But you guys go on and keep bashing a guy who plays IND (13), HOU (15), and SF (16). That schedule alone makes him worth a flier in my opinion.

Edited by Jwook
2 hours ago, youngrice said:

Bortles stats are basically the same this year to last year.  Actually has a worse QBR then last year which is the best indicator of a QB's total performance. The difference is they have a great running game, defense and are limiting his attempts.   

Wins is the best indicator of a QBs performance.

Bortles is fine and its a result of his entire team being better.

11 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Yeah because Trent Dilfer was a great QB when Balt won the Super Bowl.  Jax is winning besides Bortles not because of him.  Anyway winning has nothing to do with a WR getting enough work to be fantasy relevant.  I just stated that Bortles is not playing any better then last year and is on pace to throw 170 less passes.  Guess what WR's need the ball thrown to them and them to be catchable to perform.

14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Bortles is still a bottom-5 starter. Jags are approaching super bowl level defense, they cannot win it with Blakey boy at the helm

1 hour ago, Psideresider said:

Espn still has him listed on the IR, yet I've seen he's been practicing. Not starting him, just seeing if anyone knows when he'll be activated.

I think ESPN fantasy is just following the NFL. I think he is still officially IR designated, but still able to practice under this designation. Typical NFL they are waiting till the last minute to give player designations for this week. I'm still waiting on Reed to designated "o" so I can put him on my IR. My best options for 2 flex spots are Davis and Benjamin and I still have to fill a Defensive Lineman spot. I hate how ESPN Fantasy lags with the NFL.

im in opposite position, my lineup is set for the week so i picked him up and stashed him on my IR spot to see how he plays out this week. Was able to then pickup Corey Davis as well. Great scouting tool sometimes that IR spot

2 minutes ago, cross1420 said:

im in opposite position, my lineup is set for the week so i picked him up and stashed him on my IR spot to see how he plays out this week. Was able to then pickup Corey Davis as well. Great scouting tool sometimes that IR spot

I did the same thing.  Word up.

Still not seeing the upside. If he were coming back to an offense that feeds the WRs, sure, but he isn't. And he will be 3rd in pecking order behind Lee and Hurns on a run-heavy offense. Not much to like. Maybe he breaks a long TD, but why not just pick up Paul Richardson or someone of his ilk?

8 minutes ago, devaster said:

Still not seeing the upside. If he were coming back to an offense that feeds the WRs, sure, but he isn't. And he will be 3rd in pecking order behind Lee and Hurns on a run-heavy offense. Not much to like. Maybe he breaks a long TD, but why not just pick up Paul Richardson or someone of his ilk?

Because Lee and Hurns have been so dominant, right?  

Just now, DemOrioles said:

Because Lee and Hurns have been so dominant, right?  

It doesn't matter if they have been dominant or not. The formula is working for the Jags. Lee and Hurns have done their jobs and aren't going to suddenly get demoted behind Westbrook. People also tend to forget Lee was a 2nd round pick. Westbrook was a 4th.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

It doesn't matter if they have been dominant or not. The formula is working for the Jags. Lee and Hurns have done their jobs and aren't going to suddenly get demoted behind Westbrook. People also tend to forget Lee was a 2nd round pick. Westbrook was a 4th.

Lee has been given every opportunity to shine with Robinson out and he hasn't done much.  I get the Jaguars are run first -- but it's worth stashing a guy like Dede.  Obviously don't drop anyone of value but he definitely has upside down the stretch.