NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dede Westbrook 2017 Season Outlook

Westbrook was cleared to catch passes last week and has been running on the side at practice. Barring setbacks, he should be back when first eligible Week 9 against the Bengals. Westbrook is expected to have an immediate role, and looks likely to make a second-half impact. With Jacksonville not getting much from Allen Hurns and Marqise Lee, Westbrook could see a heavy target share when he returns. 

scooped. 

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see much in redraft value- outside of maybe 16+ teamers.

But I am interested in dynasty, for sure. If they upgrade at QB, and A-Rob/Hurns are both UFA and I am not sure on Lee. There is a chance this guy is their #1 going into next year.

5 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Nope.

What's not to like? He's at a minimum a sleeper bench stash. Lee, Hurns aren't getting it done. LF rushing and solid defense has this Jags team playing well.

Dede Westbrook could be the help Jaguars need at receiver

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars may not have to do anything but wait a few more weeks to get their passing game some help.

Rookie receiver Dede Westbrook is eligible to come off injured reserve after the bye week, and the former Oklahoma standout might be able to give the offense the big-play threat in the pass game that has been missing since Allen Robinsonwent down with a torn left ACL in the season opener.

"It's always encouraging to be able to get a player back that you feel can help you win," Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said. "I do feel that way. Right now the reports that I have had is that he is on track, and we'll see."

Westbrook underwent surgery on Sept. 12 to repair a core muscle injury (sports hernia) and only last week began catching passes on the side during practice. He's been running for two weeks now and is eligible to come off the team's injured reserve list after eight weeks, which would mean he could be activated to play in the Nov. 5 home game against Cincinnati.

"I actually feel good," Westbrook said. "I feel as if we had a game tomorrow I'd be ready to participate in it."

The Jaguars drafted Westbrook in the fourth round and he had an impressive training camp after a slow start. He led all NFL receivers with 288 yards receiving in the preseason, despite playing with the core muscle injury during the preseason finale against Atlanta on Aug. 31. Jacksonville placed him on IR on Sept. 8.

Westbrook had a monster final season at Oklahoma, catching 80 passes for 1,524 yards (19.1 yards per catch) and a school-record 17 TDs to win the Biletnikoff Award in 2016. He also was a Heisman Trophy finalist. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.34 seconds at his pro day, and the Jaguars hoped to use that elite speed by utilizing him as a slot receiver and punt returner.

The loss of Robinson, however, has really hurt the downfield pass game. The Jaguars could use Westbrook on the outside -- though he had issues with press coverage in training camp -- to take advantage of his speed to stretch the defense, something they haven't been able to do so far this season. They have just two pass plays of 30 or more yards in six games, which puts them on pace for five, which would be their fewest since 2011 (six).

"I've been playing this game since I was 7 years old, and one of the things with me is I'll always be that playmaker that the teams need," Westbrook said. "Whichever way I can help the team win and be successful, that's what I'm all up for."

Even though he hasn't done much physically since the final preseason game and has spent the past month rehabbing, Westbrook said he doesn't anticipate it taking too long for him to get involved in the offense after he does come back from IR.

"I'm in every meeting, every team meeting, every special teams meeting, just following along as if it's a normal game week for me, and I go about the preparation the same exact way," Westbrook said. "So I feel I'm going to just step right in. ...

"In that first game, I'm going to be out there running around and I'm one of those guys that can get the hang of it in about two or three possessions. I'm one of those on-the-fly type guys. I think it'll be fine."

4 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Those of you frantically trying to save your sinking ship...Dede could be your Flex Seal

i trust the chubby pitch man in the screen door boat more than i do Bortles ⛵

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

I'm shying away just because we can no longer count on garbage time from Bortles and his pass-catchers, on account of the Jags' newly elite defense.  This team used to be a joke that was always down multiple scores in the fourth quarter, and that's where ARob delivered his mirage WR1 numbers.  We can no longer count on that production every week now that they're hiding Bortles behind a strong running game and a good defense.

Bortles hasn't been that bad. Jags recipe of winning is working. Run, solid D, no mistakes (passing).

Bortles:

1 vs HOU: 11/21/125/1

2 vs TEN: 20/34/223/1

3 vs BAL: 20/31/244/4

4 vs NYJ: 15/35/140/1

5 vs PIT: 8/14/95/0

6 vs LAR: 23/35/241/1

7 vs IND: 18/26/330/1

Not saying he's all of a sudden elite and I get it, it's Bortles. But honestly he hasn't been terrible.

I know he has had some off-field issues, but If you can afford to grab him, do so now! I have a good feeling about this kid, who should be back soon. JAX desperately needs a go to guy and Hurns/Lee have been... ehh. Westbrook could be that dude! Putting in a claim for him over Doctson and all the other scraps there. I'm in first and he would be my WR6 with nothing but upside baby! 

Especially for deep-leagues, he could pay off. JAX is on a bye this week so if you can afford to get him, now is the time. He will be talked about more next week after the bye (when he intends to return). Doug Marrone is excited to have this kid and I think he could help fill the A Rob void and is in a perfect situation to excel. 

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I thought the jags have been doing everything they could with the offense to limit the amount of times Bortles has to throw.  Is a rookie wr even a viable option on this team?

He threw for 300/1 this past week, they’ve been slowly giving him more throwing opportunities. He’s also been ok.

Looking at Westbrook....trying to compare him against Corey Coleman as a bench stash.

With Coleman, he has WR1 potential on his own team and could easily slide back in to big targets.   However, their rotating QB situation might be even worse than the Jags.

I'm having trouble seeing much value with Westbrook.  I mean, no Jags WR has had any real fantasy value so far the way they're playing a run heavy, defensive type game.  It's tough thinking a rookie WR who has been out half the season is now going to step in and start lighting the world on fire over two other guys that have been starting all season.  I'd expect him to come in as the third WR and slowly work in.

3 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Looking at Westbrook....trying to compare him against Corey Coleman as a bench stash.

With Coleman, he has WR1 potential on his own team and could easily slide back in to big targets.   However, their rotating QB situation might be even worse than the Jags.

I'm having trouble seeing much value with Westbrook.  I mean, no Jags WR has had any real fantasy value so far the way they're playing a run heavy, defensive type game.  It's tough thinking a rookie WR who has been out half the season is now going to step in and start lighting the world on fire over two other guys that have been starting all season.  I'd expect him to come in as the third WR and slowly work in.

Allen hurns has been alrighr, 3 or 4 TDs so far i cant remember and had a 100 yd receiving game last week.

Dede is better than Hurns.

Jags, surprisingly, have the recipe for success this year. Solid ground game. Solid defense. They just need that X factor receiver that can open up things on offense a bit. Dede could be that guy, who knows. Lee and Hurns aren't that great.