NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dede Westbrook 2017 Season Outlook

hard1

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, nk3323 said:

I don't understand exactly what the hype is about. I'm not trying to be negative,  but isn't this the 3Rd wr on a running team with bortles as the qb? 

The hype is that their #1/2 with Robinson out have been bad and he'll have every opportunity to become Bortles' top target. Not saying I agree, and your other point about a run first team with a at best mediocre QB stands, but that's the reason people are hyping him up. 

Dede is a speed/deep threat guy. Hurns and Lee are more the possession receiver types. With the amount of running plays the Jaguars run, those play action passes...*salivates*

Now, the real question is: how is Bortles in pulling off the play action, fake hand off?

Edited by Gryfter

I'm really hating this thread, I have corey coleman in the IR slot but he isn't back until an estimated wk 10-11 but I'm willing to put dede in that IR slot  drop coleman and risk it for that 1 wk of possibility but the rookie still has to push past 2 vets on the depth chart

19 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm really hating this thread, I have corey coleman in the IR slot but he isn't back until an estimated wk 10-11 but I'm willing to put dede in that IR slot  drop coleman and risk it for that 1 wk of possibility but the rookie still has to push past 2 vets on the depth chart

He had pushed past them in training camp. Hurns was on the block for JAX till dede hurt his core. I imagine he will ascend quickly.

I dont have much faith in corey coleman to produce numbers far and away better than dede and dede has a more ideal situation in my opinion, better running game to set up playaction, better oline, better QB and his preseason highlights, ive never seen wiggle like that from corey coleman

20 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm in the same position. I'm keeping Coleman in the IR spot since the guy that dropped him probably has him on a WL (will be the WR1, maybe QB situation is better in a few weeks, past production). I doubt anyone in my particular league is watching Dede so I'm banking on just burning a bench spot post bye if he's still there. He comes back sooner but I don't think he'll be able to climb into relevancy until around the same time Coleman comes back anyway (if he does). 

12 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

He'll be far better than CD this year

...based on what exactly?

Davis was a better prospect college. He's on a more balanced offensive team with a better passing QB. And he's already shown that he could get heavy targets, albeit in 1 game. 

Don't get me wrong I don't think either is likely to make a huge difference this year, but both are worth discussing from a talent POV. Either could "blow up" and either could suck. I just don't really see any evidence you can point to that Westbrook will definitely be better than Davis at this point. 

Just now, Baur10 said:

...based on what exactly?

Davis was a better prospect college. He's on a more balanced offensive team with a better passing QB. And he's already shown that he could get heavy targets, albeit in 1 game. 

Don't get me wrong I don't think either is likely to make a huge difference this year, but both are worth discussing from a talent POV. Either could "blow up" and either could suck. I just don't really see any evidence you can point to that Westbrook will definitely be better than Davis at this point. 

Not sure he was universally regarded as  the better prospect in college, Westbrook was 4th in Heisman last year. Westbrook has major character concerns stemming from DV and some reportedly terrible interviews at combine that negatively affected his draft stock...Westbrook was arguably the best receiver in college last year, and was definitely the best rookie receiver in preseason. the jags are one explosive playmaker outside from leaving the Titans behind, they Already have the best running game in football. Based on that exactly..

3 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Not sure he was universally regarded as  the better prospect in college, Westbrook was 4th in Heisman last year. Westbrook has major character concerns stemming from DV and some reportedly terrible interviews at combine that negatively affected his draft stock...Westbrook was arguably the best receiver in college last year, and was definitely the best rookie receiver in preseason. the jags are one explosive playmaker outside from leaving the Titans behind, they Already have the best running game in football. Based on that exactly..

Westbrook faced stiffer competition tham corey davis in college.

Try to imagine dede's numbers if he played at western michigan for his college career.

14 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

When I say better prospect it's not just talent. I'd argue they're comparably talented, although Davis is bigger and Westbrook faster. That being said this is the NFL, talent alone doesn't cut it. You need to be prepared and committed neither of which he has shown he is. In addition to his DV and bombing his interviews his combine was very weak outside of a good 40.  That means he either 1) didn't prepare or 2) like some scouts pointed out he is a pure speed guy with great hands. Neither of those are good, particularly #2 given Bortles' pass game. Talent alone isn't enough in the NFL (see blackmon, see Patterson, see Floyd etc etc). 

Plus I'll take production in a small sample size in real nfl games over production in a small sample size in the preseason. 

It's possible he does great. The talent is there. I just don't think I understand the confidence in him over Davis right now. Guess we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Broncos132 said:

Run first offense with one of the worst starting QB’s in the league throwing the ball. I’m tempering expectations here lol could be an excellent stash though 

I think that's the wise approach for everyone. Stash him and hope that he can become a WR3/Flex down the stretch (perhaps by the fantasy playoffs), but temper any expectations of him breaking out big over the final 8 games. 

3 hours ago, JSA2422 said:

Hmm wouldn't call it a bum league, he's about 7% owned and we're into the crunch of bye weeks. I think your league just has some studious folks. My league is high money (pool can potentially be over $10k depending on FAAB usage) but it's also made up of couples (a few homers/don't check online resources,etc). 

Every league has a team or 2 or 3 that don't focus on managing their teams beyond logging in and occasionally picking up a waiver pick of the week as recommended by one of the primary fantasy sites or ESPN alerts

1 hour ago, jagsfan05 said:

The big reason I picked him up this week is because I am a homer and I know his potential. Other than that, I don't think anyone would have picked him up until next week at the earliest.

I picked him up a few weeks back when I saw he had an IR designation.  I hope I'm not secretly becoming a Jaguars fan!