NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nerlens Noel 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Damn, we have a sexual harassment scandal on our hands. Better give Nerlens Noel 20mpg!"

The number of pages in his thread will exceed his season minutes total by the trade deadline.

7 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

Well why not?  Are there similarly ranked bigs you like better (i.e. J-Val, Adams, Dieng, etc)?   Very curious.

It means I don't draft them at their ADP - I rank Noel and Capela lower than people here usually rank. Basically it means I don't draft them, because others draft them earlier. J-Val - I like him if he can get more minutes, but 24 min average, thanks, not. Adams is a big question mark and Dieng has too much stars around him (Butler, Towns, Wiggins is also taking too much shots). Maybe I don't draft bigs at all at these rounds (5th-7th). But I definitely try to get big men during 3rd-4th round (B. Lopez, M. Gasol, Griffin, Millsap, Horford, also Nurkic, if he is available at 5th round).

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, HarmStrong said:

he didn't like giannis last pre-season soooo...

Yes, this is true. I had 12th pick and drafted at the turn of 1st/2nd round Millsap and Lillard. Giannis was taken next (14th pick). However I finished third in the league and Giannis owner didn't make to play-offs... It only means, that one player can't win for you championship or place among money winners. I did well because later I drafted players who did better than their ADP (M. Gasol, E. Gordon, L Williams, Mason Plumlee).

• Like 1
9 hours ago, apatas said:

It means I don't draft them at their ADP - I rank Noel and Capela lower than people here usually rank. Basically it means I don't draft them, because others draft them earlier. J-Val - I like him if he can get more minutes, but 24 min average, thanks, not. Adams is a big question mark and Dieng has too much stars around him (Butler, Towns, Wiggins is also taking too much shots). Maybe I don't draft bigs at all at these rounds (5th-7th). But I definitely try to get big men during 3rd-4th round (B. Lopez, M. Gasol, Griffin, Millsap, Horford, also Nurkic, if he is available at 5th round).

Not a bad strategy.  J-Val, Dieng are on my DND list.  Adams I like, I don't think he's a question mark at all unless there's some info I'm missing, but I don't think he's great value in rounds 5-7.   I do like Capela slightly more than Noel.  

What's your general rankings of the 3rd-4th round bigs?    I think I'm going Gasol, Millsap, Griffin, Lopez, Horford, Nurk.  

5 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

Not a bad strategy.  J-Val, Dieng are on my DND list.  Adams I like, I don't think he's a question mark at all unless there's some info I'm missing, but I don't think he's great value in rounds 5-7.   I do like Capela slightly more than Noel.  

What's your general rankings of the 3rd-4th round bigs?    I think I'm going Gasol, Millsap, Griffin, Lopez, Horford, Nurk.  

This order is correct, only I don't know am I going prefer Griffin ahead Millsap or Horford ahead Lopez, they are quite even. Last season I owned Millsap in standard league and Horford in deep league and they both disappointed. But I still believe in them. Also I owned Adams, but later traded him. I think he is too inconsistent.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, apatas said:

This order is correct, only I don't know am I going prefer Griffin ahead Millsap or Horford ahead Lopez, they are quite even. Last season I owned Millsap in standard league and Horford in deep league and they both disappointed. But I still believe in them. Also I owned Adams, but later traded him. I think he is too inconsistent.

Fair enough.  I think I kind of like Griffin over Millsap just b/c of the massive usage and points advantage Griffin has.  Also Millsap has declining defensive stats and I don't necessarily see him getting back to elite steals or necessary blocks to separate him from Blake.  Perhaps if you're hurting for stocks on your first 3 picks then Sap might be better but I'm slightly hesitant.  For me its all health risk with Griffin but am willing to roll the dice.  

• 4 weeks later...

No other center averages his steals per game (other than Drummond who is a complete FT% punt) so he's really solid in punt assists builds when you need steals out-of-position.  I like his outlook.  Stocks monster with 8 rpg.  A slight FG% anchor without hurting your FT% too much.  I could see him as early as the 5th if he fit my needs perfectly, but ideally I will target him around 6/7.  He's better than the Dieng/JV tier of centers.

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, kobebryant24 said:

Is this guy going to start or not? hes still available in my league

4 posts above yours you can find out for yourself. I'll be nice though and say no he is not gonna start, but he still should be owned.

15 minutes ago, kobebryant24 said:

Is this guy going to start or not? hes still available in my league

it's worth pointing out that Carlisle also said Noel would slide into the starting lineup on the nights Dirk sits and that Noel will be playing starters minutes regardless of how he enters the game. 

On 01/09/2017 at 11:16 PM, HarmStrong said:

he didn't like giannis last pre-season soooo...

On 01/09/2017 at 11:24 PM, apatas said:

Yes, this is true. I had 12th pick and drafted at the turn of 1st/2nd round Millsap and Lillard. Giannis was taken next (14th pick). However I finished third in the league and Giannis owner didn't make to play-offs... It only means, that one player can't win for you championship or place among money winners. I did well because later I drafted players who did better than their ADP (M. Gasol, E. Gordon, L Williams, Mason Plumlee).

Wanna commend you for staying composed. He likes to troll people as I've seen him do before. Pretty sure all of us have made predictions that haven't turned out before so not sure why he has to point yours out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It might happen, but I think the main problem behind all this lineup thing is that Dirk can only play C. He cannot move literally. Of course Noel is quick enough to guard PFs so yes they might go that way. In any case Noel gains a couple mins at least.

Not sure if the Mavs will change how much they invest in him as he turned down the 4yr $70mill offer. If they take it as a signal that he's leaving after the season then it might. In saying that, he doesn't need that many minutes to be effective, however I wouldn't be reaching for him if I think his minutes remain in the low 20's. 

43 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Not sure if the Mavs will change how much they invest in him as he turned down the 4yr $70mill offer. If they take it as a signal that he's leaving after the season then it might. In saying that, he doesn't need that many minutes to be effective, however I wouldn't be reaching for him if I think his minutes remain in the low 20's. 

Honestly I think this all came down to $, in that Noel thought he would be a max player (especially after Philly problem told them they were trading him bc they couldn't afford this) and Dallas didn't pay that. I don't think this necessarily means anything about him leaving in general, just that he will leave if he doesn't get the $ he thinks he deserves. While that's still not ideal they're 2 different situations. Funny enough I was actually reading an article about Maxi Kleber at the gym earlier (Dirk has been my favorite player since the Mavs reached the finals the 1st time) being from the same town as Dirk and all, and it was one of those local paper multiple topics in 1 article type pieces, and there was a quote in there from Noel where he wouldn't commit to wanting to be with the Mavs long-term, and long story short, Wes Matthews chimed in about his situation in POR as well and Noel basically said turning down $17m a year isn't that much when you think you'll be worth $25m the next year (I might not have the #'s correct, but you get the point) and he hopes it will be the Mavs who pay him and he will show them he deserves it, so it does still seem that he would prefer to stay with them long-term, and he's clearly playing with a chip on his shoulder, so I could see him surprising a lot of people.

I haven't had my draft yet but if I can get him in the early 6th (depending on my other 5 picks ofc) I might go for it. As I mentioned, Dirk is my fav, but jesus the guy looks like he's running in quicksand these days and I'd be happy if he played >50% of the games NOT counting back-to-backs.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, krupocin said:

Honestly I think this all came down to $, in that Noel thought he would be a max player (especially after Philly problem told them they were trading him bc they couldn't afford this) and Dallas didn't pay that. I don't think this necessarily means anything about him leaving in general, just that he will leave if he doesn't get the $ he thinks he deserves. While that's still not ideal they're 2 different situations. Funny enough I was actually reading an article about Maxi Kleber at the gym earlier (Dirk has been my favorite player since the Mavs reached the finals the 1st time) being from the same town as Dirk and all, and it was one of those local paper multiple topics in 1 article type pieces, and there was a quote in there from Noel where he wouldn't commit to wanting to be with the Mavs long-term, and long story short, Wes Matthews chimed in about his situation in POR as well and Noel basically said turning down $17m a year isn't that much when you think you'll be worth $25m the next year (I might not have the #'s correct, but you get the point) and he hopes it will be the Mavs who pay him and he will show them he deserves it, so it does still seem that he would prefer to stay with them long-term, and he's clearly playing with a chip on his shoulder, so I could see him surprising a lot of people.

I haven't had my draft yet but if I can get him in the early 6th (depending on my other 5 picks ofc) I might go for it. As I mentioned, Dirk is my fav, but jesus the guy looks like he's running in quicksand these days and I'd be happy if he played >50% of the games NOT counting back-to-backs.  

That deal also included upgrade to current $4 mill. So it was basically this year and $22 mill for next 3yrs. He's got a lot to prove if he wants to get $22 mill next year.