NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nerlens Noel 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Damn, we have a sexual harassment scandal on our hands. Better give Nerlens Noel 20mpg!"

The number of pages in his thread will exceed his season minutes total by the trade deadline.

Meh I had Noel and i was excited too. But the more research I do. The more I look into the stats the less excited I become. If you are looking for a solid center which is probably the most of what Noel will probably do this season, then take someone like Dweyne Dedmon on the hawks. 

Dweyne dedmon in his prime getting very good minutes and can gaunrentee solid stats with sleeper potential. 

Also lets not forget Noels injury issues. 

Edited by StarPig
41 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Still close to a double-double though and it's just preseason. Not too concerned. 

6 & 7 isnt really close to a double-double. Without some indication of more minutes I am dialing back my outlook.

feel free to drop noel now and i am sure you will regret it. the only thing standing between noel and the center minutes is a 40 year old who will play only limited mins and likely sit out on back to backs. not to mention how dsj is gonna push the tempo to develop chemistry to noel throughout the season. 

yes favors looks great tonight but again it's just one game and they are playing against suns ... pls look into the context before drawing conclusions ... 

On 10/11/2017 at 11:06 AM, blob2004 said:

Honestly why does the Mavs think starting Dirk and benching Noel is a good idea...

Hes been slipping in a lot of drafts and I got him at round 6 in two money leagues (12 team), not too sure how I feel about that..

Maybe they want to spread the floor and provide more spacing for DSJ to drive and dish. But a front court line up of matthews barnes and dirk is literally impossible to may any kinds of stops on defense. I can't imagine they play noel for anything fewer than 30 mins regardless of starting or benching if they aren't trying to tank. 

Noel has a lot of motivation to play well this year in a contract year. Let's give him a longer leash. I have him in R6 in both my money leagues too. So I am there with you. 

3 hours ago, lpycharles said:

Noel has a lot of motivation to play well this year in a contract year. Let's give him a longer leash. I have him in R6 in both my money leagues too. So I am there with you. 

it was also a contract year for Noel last year...

• Like 2

No worries about not starting.  I read the main reason Dirk is starting instead of Noel is because Dirk needs to play at the beginning of halves after warming up.  Too hard on his old body to come off the bench because he gets stiff.  Factor in that Dirk will take plenty of rest/maintenance days,  everyone needs to relax.  As long as Noel gets starters minutes that's all that matters.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 1

Anyone got an idea how minutes will be distributed between Noel/Barnes/Dirk/Powell on the PF/C slots? I was pretty high on Powell as a Mavs fan as sort of a Brandan Wright replacement and he seems to have added a 3 shot now.

4 hours ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

Anyone got an idea how minutes will be distributed between Noel/Barnes/Dirk/Powell on the PF/C slots? I was pretty high on Powell as a Mavs fan as sort of a Brandan Wright replacement and he seems to have added a 3 shot now.

I think Powell will back up Barnes and play 10ish minutes, while Noel will play about 28 mins center minutes. Dirk will play the rest of the center minutes, while also play some PF in certain matchups. Barnes will need to play some SF as they don't have depth there. 

Coach runs a tight rotation it seems.

12 hours ago, lpycharles said:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nba/dallas-mavericks/article176692686.html

Noel is saying and acting right it seems, and coach is buying it. Hopefully everything works out.

If you buy into puff pieces like this you should stop.  I can't count the number of times I have taken **** like this at face value and gotten burned.

Noel is a UFA, having turned down 70M.  The Mavs will be rebuilding.  If he isn't in their plans or doesn't stay on the straight and narrow this could go sideways easily.

That said, I think there is a real chance of him having a great year.  He put a $65M bet on himself.  That says a lot.