NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Hogan 2017 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, BronXBombers51 said:

Sell high is contextual. I think he's a rock-solid WR2 ROS, ranked probably around WR16ish.

If you're getting a bonafide WR1 or stud RB1, fine. But he's the main red zone target (with Gronk, who's frequently hurt) in a Brady-led offense that will seemingly play in a lot of shootouts. I'd be ok holding and enjoying the ride.

I agree with this...in most smart leagues people aren't going to be able to trade him straight up for an RB1. I've been getting offers for guys like Jarvis Landry, Emmanuel Sanders, Terrelle Pryor etc. and I think I I'll just keep Hogan for now. He has the best QB in the league and they are in super high scoring games every week.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you who were questioning are crazy.  Hogan is my guy.  He's a heck of a player.  Didn't get to catch the game last week, but did he drop a potential 2nd touchdown pass?  And don't worry about Amendola.  He wasn't even being covered week 1.

On 8/26/2017 at 12:49 PM, KennyWoo said:

I'd probably make him around WR40 to WR45 now. That list above that shows him worth $1 less than Demaryius Thomas is one of the most comical things I've ever seen though.  FFS let's have some perspective here. 

I really don't get why people are trying to put the fire out on this guy so much. With all the "hype" guys that get a ton of play all offseason and never pay off, I think this is legitimately one case where it is warranted. I am always going to take best offense & Qb combo in fantasy. Hogan is going to be the starter in 2 wide sets. He also is now coming into his second season of the Pats playbook, which was already documented as a big difference maker between last year (source: the hoodie himself).

Hogan showed last season with Edelman healthy that he is a good player. He went off in a few games, including in the playoffs when it matters the most. He has played in the slot before and can definitely kick in there on a occasion, and is much better overall player than either Mitchell of Amendola. Will he have some down games? Surely.. but go look at all the top guys, they have a few slow games each year. He is playing with one of the best QB's in NFL history, and with an offense that looks like it is going for record numbers this year. 

So pour cold water on this dude all you like.. but a top 15 finish at WR is more likely to me than not. 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:47 PM, exzacly909 said:

I really don't get why people are trying to put the fire out on this guy so much. With all the "hype" guys that get a ton of play all offseason and never pay off, I think this is legitimately one case where it is warranted. I am always going to take best offense & Qb combo in fantasy. Hogan is going to be the starter in 2 wide sets. He also is now coming into his second season of the Pats playbook, which was already documented as a big difference maker between last year (source: the hoodie himself).

Hogan showed last season with Edelman healthy that he is a good player. He went off in a few games, including in the playoffs when it matters the most. He has played in the slot before and can definitely kick in there on a occasion, and is much better overall player than either Mitchell of Amendola. Will he have some down games? Surely.. but go look at all the top guys, they have a few slow games each year. He is playing with one of the best QB's in NFL history, and with an offense that looks like it is going for record numbers this year. 

So pour cold water on this dude all you like.. but a top 15 finish at WR is more likely to me than not. 

This guy is just as likely to disappear to 2 to 3 catches a game as he is to finish top 15.  It's a crap shoot with the Pats. 

Posted August 26 (edited)
  On 8/26/2017 at 2:06 PM, Dylanfan66 said:

This guy is just as likely to disappear to 2 to 3 catches a game as he is to finish top 15.  It's a crap shoot with the Pats. 

WK  OPP REC YDS TD PTS
1 Min 3 26 0 2.6
2 @Det 4 40 0 4
3 Oak 3 32 0 3.2
4 @Hou 2 82 0 8.2
5 @Mia 4 32 1 9.2
6 Cle 3 70 1 13
7 Ind 4 37 0 3.7
8 Jax 4 38 1 9.8
9 @LAC 6 63 2 18.3
10 GB 3 63 1 12.3
11 @Ind 9 122 0 13.2
12 @Chi 3 64 1 12.4
13 BYE - - - -
14 Den 1 26 0 2.6
15 @KC 4 105 0 9.5
16 @Jax 3 31 1 9.1
17 Hou 9 114 1 18.4
MORE STATS »          VIEW PLAYERCARD »
CLOSE

This is a top 15 wr game log from last season... Rishard Matthews. If anyone thinks that this isn't a possibility as the #2 wr in the pats O is out of their mind. Like anything in fantasy it's far from a guarantee. But like I said above, I'll bet on the role I think is coming, offensive scoring opportunities, and quarterback. 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:47 PM, exzacly909 said:

I'm not pouring cold water on him. WR40  range in my rankings has some solid players. Guys with either (1) a clear role or (2) a track record of performance at the NFL level or both. He has some upside but you can't get carried away. 

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money he's not top 15 this year. That is really pie in the sky stuff. 

On 8/26/2017 at 2:30 PM, KennyWoo said:

I'm not pouring cold water on him. WR40  range in my rankings has some solid players. Guys with either (1) a clear role or (2) a track record of performance at the NFL level or both. He has some upside but you can't get carried away. 

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money he's not top 15 this year. That is really pie in the sky stuff. 

I wasn't even talking specifically to you. Just quoted the most recent person to have that sort of outlook. I don't typically look to Barney the purple dinosaur for fantasy advice.

I'm not sure why "established track records" play any relevance in ranking a new year. If the player who are "established" aren't playing in the top offsense in the league, with the best Qb, I don't care about the past. 

Hogan is only year 2 with the Pats. He came on in the playoffs and was a top 50 wr in most scoring last season with Brady missing 4 games and Edelman playing all season.

So if betting that the #2 wr in that situation could be a top 15 wr in fantasy is a "pipe dream" you obviously don't win very much and I would also recommend you don't bet on anything.

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit. 

On 8/26/2017 at 2:16 PM, exzacly909 said:

If anyone thinks that this isn't a possibility as the #2 wr in the pats O is out of their mind. Like anything in fantasy it's far from a guarantee. But like I said above, I'll bet on the role I think is coming, offensive scoring opportunities, and quarterback. 

There's a big difference between a "possibility" of a top 15 season and that such a season is "more likely than not."  You said it was more likely than not, as in more than 50% likely.  I'm sorry, but that is an insane proposition.  And, like I said, at Evens I'd take all the action I could get against that proposition.

I had Edelman as my WR29 in my rankings before his injury.  Where did you have him?  Where do you have Hogan?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize for all the copy and past. I thought some might get a kick out of a backstory. Plus you know I think the boards should pick fun. 

My argument was for Hogan as a top 15 WR after Jules went down.. I got "pipe dream" & "insane proposition". Well through one quarter of the season, he is sitting at #3 in my league... So that leaves me to ask. 

Yo @KennyWoo where you at now? 

Edited by exzacly909

Dont own Hogan and i am pissed about it. Still came to drop off this nugget about tonights game:

The first sign that safeties T.J. Ward and Keith Tandy won’t be in the lineup for the Buccaneers on Thursday night came when the Buccaneers listed both of them as doubtful on Wednesday’s injury report due to hip injuries.

Another sign came Thursday when the team announced that they have promoted safety Isaiah Johnson from the practice squad. They officially announced that defensive end Jacquies Smith has been waived as the corresponding move.

I think Hogan is essentially the equivalent of Davante Adams.  Both are top 3 options in elite offense and will thus have significant if inconsistent TD production.  Adams was a top 15 guy last year so Hogan could easily follow suit.

Yep, that backend on the Tampa DST is in a world of hurt, and a possible injury to Gronk could mean more targets as well.

Hogan and Brate (vs that porous NE DST) actually have me looking forward to another Thursday night game :wacko: (last week ARod/Nelson/Howard had me cheering) :finger crossed:

Edited by FollowTheLeader
41 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

I think Hogan is essentially the equivalent of Davante Adams.  Both are top 3 options in elite offense and will thus have significant if inconsistent TD production.  Adams was a top 15 guy last year so Hogan could easily follow suit.

No arguments from me about that... although Hogan has a much more important role in the redzone IMO.  Packers have Jordy, Bennett, and Cobb first.  Patriots have Gronk... who will always be doubled and Hogan who will always be 1 on 1

45 minutes ago, biggquis said:

No arguments from me about that... although Hogan has a much more important role in the redzone IMO.  Packers have Jordy, Bennett, and Cobb first.  Patriots have Gronk... who will always be doubled and Hogan who will always be 1 on 1

Ya but the pats also run more in the redzone

Just now, Sticky2 said:

Gronk being out last year boosted Edelman...

True, I'm not saying your wrong.  But Danny A is the slot receiver now so he would benefit more with Gronk being out. Edelman is more of a slot receiver.   Hogan is the outside man.