NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Hogan 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

they do in PPR, but I play standard. hogan is a great flier i'm just not gonna pay a premium price to get him

A recent cheatsheet this morning had him ranked as WR23 and that's high but that's round 5/6ish. I still think Round 8 is appropriate if you believe in the upside.

2 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

Regarding of auctions or snake drafts, rankings within the position itself shouldn't change.  There are still sources that believe he's now slotted as high as #WR23 this morning.

52 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

Do you actually think for yourself or have some random fantasy site think for you? 

i mean c'mon, if you don't think he's being overvalued looking at this list i don't know what to tell ya except get your wallet ready

e8ZzuWj.png

6 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

what site? he's currently going as WR57 on FFC

You have to give FFC time to "catch up" to the reality of the Edelman news.  It is calculated by where the player is taken in all FFC drafts.  Considering Edelman just got injured in last nights game it's probably going to take a week or so to give Hogan's draft spot time to settle somewhere. Considering Hogan wasn't even being drafted in many leagues before last nights news he his now going off the board around the 12th round with a rising bullet. The players chart will give you a better sense of what is currently happening.

2 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

How is he supposed to have a track record when his first consistent opportunity came last year when he had damn near 900 receiving yards in 14 games attached to bad quarterbacks? 

He had Cutler in the beginning of the year.  I'd like to see it over a full NFL season.  He was pretty productive for a few years in D2 football before joining the Bears so he's never really gone against good defenders.

Now with Jeffery gone, he's actually going to get zoned in on.  I'd like to see him prove it over a full season of staying healthy, being productive and going against teams' number one corners.

3 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

i mean c'mon, if you don't think he's being overvalued looking at this list i don't know what to tell ya except get your wallet ready

e8ZzuWj.png

Like I said, Wr23 is high but inside the Top 40 is reasonable for a flyer. 

3 minutes ago, The Caucasian Sensation said:

You have to give FFC time to "catch up" to the reality of the Edelman news.  It is calculated by where the player is taken in all FFC drafts.  Considering Edelman just got injured in last nights game it's probably going to take a week or so to give Hogan's draft spot time to settle somewhere. Considering Hogan wasn't even being drafted in many leagues before last nights news he his now going off the board around the 12th round with a rising bullet. The players chart will give you a better sense of what is currently happening.

He'll be going between RDs 8-10 in the next week or 2 once the news catches up.

3 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

He's definitely overvalued based off of recency bias but you absolutely have to take him in the 10th round. That offense is elite production for all.

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

i wouldn't even think about him until the 10th in a 12 team standard

MXrSfsJ.jpg

It's all about where a person is comfortable taking him. Last year I had planned on taking Jordan Howard in the last round of one of my drafts. Another team drafted him two rounds ahead of me. At the time I wasn't comfortable taking him that high, but in hindsight definately wish I had now.

5 minutes ago, The Caucasian Sensation said:

It's all about where a person is comfortable taking him. Last year I had planned on taking Jordan Howard in the last round of one of my drafts. Another team drafted him two rounds ahead of me. At the time I wasn't comfortable taking him that high, but in hindsight definately wish I had now.

you had to have that kicker and defense huh

Brady has to trust Hogan more after that 35 yard TD catch between 2 defenders. It was a beautiful! 

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/901222493007994880?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsportsnaut.com%2F2017%2F08%2Fwatch-tom-brady-hits-chris-hogan-for-two-touchdowns-in-21-seconds%2F

I'm not sure where I would draft hogan at this point but his value has to be rising. Brady threw his way on a 35 yard pass that would have been a third TD (I read) but there was a miscommunication. hogan will have to make sure those miscommunications don't happen but I think Hogan is in for a good season. 

My only concern is hoodie

Edited by Under500Forever
50 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I'd probably make him around WR40 to WR45 now. That list above that shows him worth $1 less than Demaryius Thomas is one of the most comical things I've ever seen though.  FFS let's have some perspective here. 

I really don't get why people are trying to put the fire out on this guy so much. With all the "hype" guys that get a ton of play all offseason and never pay off, I think this is legitimately one case where it is warranted. I am always going to take best offense & Qb combo in fantasy. Hogan is going to be the starter in 2 wide sets. He also is now coming into his second season of the Pats playbook, which was already documented as a big difference maker between last year (source: the hoodie himself).

Hogan showed last season with Edelman healthy that he is a good player. He went off in a few games, including in the playoffs when it matters the most. He has played in the slot before and can definitely kick in there on a occasion, and is much better overall player than either Mitchell of Amendola. Will he have some down games? Surely.. but go look at all the top guys, they have a few slow games each year. He is playing with one of the best QB's in NFL history, and with an offense that looks like it is going for record numbers this year. 

So pour cold water on this dude all you like.. but a top 15 finish at WR is more likely to me than not. 

18 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

I really don't get why people are trying to put the fire out on this guy so much. With all the "hype" guys that get a ton of play all offseason and never pay off, I think this is legitimately one case where it is warranted. I am always going to take best offense & Qb combo in fantasy. Hogan is going to be the starter in 2 wide sets. He also is now coming into his second season of the Pats playbook, which was already documented as a big difference maker between last year (source: the hoodie himself).

Hogan showed last season with Edelman healthy that he is a good player. He went off in a few games, including in the playoffs when it matters the most. He has played in the slot before and can definitely kick in there on a occasion, and is much better overall player than either Mitchell of Amendola. Will he have some down games? Surely.. but go look at all the top guys, they have a few slow games each year. He is playing with one of the best QB's in NFL history, and with an offense that looks like it is going for record numbers this year. 

So pour cold water on this dude all you like.. but a top 15 finish at WR is more likely to me than not. 

This guy is just as likely to disappear to 2 to 3 catches a game as he is to finish top 15.  It's a crap shoot with the Pats. 

10 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

This guy is just as likely to disappear to 2 to 3 catches a game as he is to finish top 15.  It's a crap shoot with the Pats. 

WK  OPP REC YDS TD PTS
1 Min 3 26 0 2.6
2 @Det 4 40 0 4
3 Oak 3 32 0 3.2
4 @Hou 2 82 0 8.2
5 @Mia 4 32 1 9.2
6 Cle 3 70 1 13
7 Ind 4 37 0 3.7
8 Jax 4 38 1 9.8
9 @LAC 6 63 2 18.3
10 GB 3 63 1 12.3
11 @Ind 9 122 0 13.2
12 @Chi 3 64 1 12.4
13 BYE - - - -
14 Den 1 26 0 2.6
15 @KC 4 105 0 9.5
16 @Jax 3 31 1 9.1
17 Hou 9 114 1 18.4
MORE STATS »          VIEW PLAYERCARD »
CLOSE

This is a top 15 wr game log from last season... Rishard Matthews. If anyone thinks that this isn't a possibility as the #2 wr in the pats O is out of their mind. Like anything in fantasy it's far from a guarantee. But like I said above, I'll bet on the role I think is coming, offensive scoring opportunities, and quarterback. 
Edited by exzacly909
38 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

I'm not pouring cold water on him. WR40  range in my rankings has some solid players. Guys with either (1) a clear role or (2) a track record of performance at the NFL level or both. He has some upside but you can't get carried away. 

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money he's not top 15 this year. That is really pie in the sky stuff. 

12 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I'm not pouring cold water on him. WR40  range in my rankings has some solid players. Guys with either (1) a clear role or (2) a track record of performance at the NFL level or both. He has some upside but you can't get carried away. 

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money he's not top 15 this year. That is really pie in the sky stuff. 

I wasn't even talking specifically to you. Just quoted the most recent person to have that sort of outlook. I don't typically look to Barney the purple dinosaur for fantasy advice.

I'm not sure why "established track records" play any relevance in ranking a new year. If the player who are "established" aren't playing in the top offsense in the league, with the best Qb, I don't care about the past. 

Hogan is only year 2 with the Pats. He came on in the playoffs and was a top 50 wr in most scoring last season with Brady missing 4 games and Edelman playing all season.

So if betting that the #2 wr in that situation could be a top 15 wr in fantasy is a "pipe dream" you obviously don't win very much and I would also recommend you don't bet on anything.

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit. 

Edited by exzacly909

i just got him in the 12th as my wr6 in a 12 team ppr so he's not exactly skyrocketing up immediately. may not apply in all leagues and could rise fast but for now people are being reserved (at least in that draft)