NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Hogan 2017 Season Outlook

15 minutes ago, BronXBombers51 said:

Damn, it didn't seem like he worked out of the slot that much, but thanks for the numbers. Regardless, Amendola was eating in the short/intermediate and Hogan was frequently targeted further downfield. Curious to see whether Hogan can take that Amendola role moving forward (if Amendola is out) or if they use some combo of White/Burkhead.

Yeah I feel like every time I looked up Hogan was running deep and was covered. Main problem I have is it seems his role hasn't changed from last year.  The third preseason game made us believe Hogan was in for a big year, but seems like he'll just be a boom/bust type without any consistency unless NE drastically changes his role

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, jetfan1983 said:

I obviously could be wrong, but I like this guy as a buy low. Brady's not going to go 16/36 all too often. KC (w/ Berry) had a pretty murderous defense last night.

Yeah im not seeing it. Even in single man coverage Hogan struggled to get separation, and it's bizarre how they would rather use him in end arounds rather than in the slot as everyone was anticipating.

Edited by lolcopter

Just now, lolcopter said:

Yeah im not seeing it. Even in single man coverage Hogan struggled to get separation, and it's bizarre how they would rather use him in end around a rather than in the slot as everyone was anticipating.

Yea he had no separation, but it's one game. Is Brady going to go 16/36 every game? No. 

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Hopefully. I thought KC's defense looked extremely pedestrian

The huge game they got from Berry definitely "tied the room together" I guess for that defense last night as they weren't great on the whole perhaps, and Hogan had a bad game too, but stuff changes so dramatically in football week to week I think he'll be fine. 5 targets, 3 carries with so many injuries around him, he should be primed for a good amount of usage. More than the 1-8-0 receiving would certainly indicate anyway. 

I'm not excited for Hogan at this point. But how many good players have we all dropped after the 1st game because they didn't perform? Even if Amendola returns in week 2, he's going to be on a snap count.  They'll think twice before calling his number over the middle.  Hogan is a hold. 

Edited by mikeflavaz

If you watched the whole game you'd know that Brady looked for him more often than the overall stats suggest. He was targeted on at least three or four deep balls but was blanketed on the coverage. He was also looked at twice in the end zone too. The Chiefs secondary is pretty good, so I still feel confident in running him out there as a WR3. 

19 hours ago, BronXBombers51 said:

I think calling him overhyped based on one game is an overreaction.

The disappointing thing about last night was that Amendola ate up Edelman's looks from the slot, while Hogan mostly played the outside like he did last year.

The positives: Hogan seemed to be on the field all night long, Brady looked for him several times but just made some terrible throws, and with Amendola concussed it's possible Hogan could take that role.

He's more of a wild card than I thought he'd be, but there could still be plenty of value here. I wouldn't just read the boxscore and proclaim him a bust.

The Chiefs weren't even covering Amendola lol.  It's seriously like the other poster said... take away Gronk and Hogan.  He'll be fine.

I just don't understand why he can't be an Adam Theilen type. Similiar body size and speed. I don't know why he has to be so inconsistent with so many snaps/opportunities. If he's nothing better than Brady's third read, it probably doesn't matter who the matchup is because he'll never receive volume to be anything more than boom/bust bye-week replacement. 

Just now, JSA2422 said:

Can you elaborate? he was in on 73-81 snaps. 

Sorry. I meant to say his usage on his snap count. Absurdly high usage, absurdly low usage. Basically, the equivalent of a full-time WR on a run-first offense that is used to only run block. 

But, I think this is the week Hogan turns it around.

13 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Even if Amendola plays, I think this is one of those Chris Hogan weeks. However, it's concerning with his snap count and just overall poor usage. 

The Patriots got punched in the mouth by the Chiefs, they won't let that happen again on Sunday. 

Edited by lbjames6