NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Breida 2017 Season Outlook

UDFA out of Georgia Southern who is currently the #2 RB for the 49ers. Insane athlete who was extremely productive in college. 

His predraft measurable were the best of any RB in this years stacked RB class. 

Pro Day Results (rank compared to combine players results):

5' 9" at 195LBS

40 time: 4.37 (1st)

Vertical: 42" (1st)

Broad Jump: 11.2' (1st)

Bench: 23 Reps (3rd)

Screen_Shot_2017_06_19_at_10.10.52_PM.pn

His athletic ability and explosiveness also translated directly to the football field:

C_02EukXkAANWXe.jpg

By all accounts he had been vastly outperforming his other rookie competition (Joe Williams) for backup duties behind oft injured Carlos Hyde. Hyde is in the last year of his contract and does not look like he's going to be resigned. Breida is in an interesting position if he can hold onto the #2 spot he will more than likely make starts at RB in 2017 and depending on how he does he could put himself as the front runner for the lead back in 2018. 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just about the start this thread, then refreshed the page to see if anyone had started one while I was writing this, and sure enough, someone did. Here's my copy and pasted OP that I just scrapped. An obvious place for it here lol :lol:

The UDFA SPARQ freak from Georgia Southern has apparently outplayed Joe Williams since the spring, and may or may not have won the 49ers RB2 job. Kyle Shanahan will not confirm, but beat writers all seem confident that Brieda not only has locked down the no.2 job, but may also opreate in the Tevin Coleman role of the Niners' zone-based scheme. 1.PNG.e751830a7c8ea82c9e9d4c899a66d02c.PNG

The pro day numbers are a nice bonus but the primary bullet point here is that he's had a great off-season and might already be the second back on the depth chart. I'm buying late in dynasty if I can as this guy seems like a fun scratch-off ticket. 

I have to agree with you munde53. The limited action I saw from him, I was impressed. 49ers definitely have something here. I also agree that he has looked better than Joe Williams so far. Based on Hyde's battles with injuries, it is only a matter of time before the young kids get some run. 

ESrF0Va.gif

zU7h5Uj.gif

Edited by burninglegs

I'm picking him up in deeper leagues. Talk of him being the "Tevin Coleman" to Hyde's "Devonta Freeman" is already enough to make one salivate, and one might start foaming at the mouth once one factors in Hyde's injury history.

I've watched some tape on Breida lately. I'm fairly confident in saying if this kid gets a chance, he will be special. Not to sound like an IDIOT but I see a lot of David Johnson here. I think his chances of being a bell-cow are better than most backups given Hyde's injuries and ineffectiveness. Officially getting on this hype train. 

Just now, '71 Bucks said:

Serious question - why wasn't this guy drafted? What is the knock on him that made him go undrafted? Those pro day numbers jump off the page - you would think someone would take a shot on that by the 7th round..

He was brutally terrible last season in college. The team was crumbling, he may have been nicked up, but still. Playing in whatever bogus league he averaged like 3 yards a carry. Two years ago he posted insane numbers, but his final collegiate season made him essentially undraftable.

1 hour ago, irvnasty said:

He was brutally terrible last season in college. The team was crumbling, he may have been nicked up, but still. Playing in whatever bogus league he averaged like 3 yards a carry. Two years ago he posted insane numbers, but his final collegiate season made him essentially undraftable.

This plus new offensive coordinator and scheme...but like he said beast the previous years...

On 8/30/2017 at 5:32 AM, hard1 said:

Def fits this blocking scheme better than hyde right now.....

Agreed.

Following the 49ers camp this summer, you can see how he's slowly gotten better and better and took the back up spot. I was never a fan of Hyde so i've had Breida stashed on my bench. 

I debated between Breida and Tarik Cohen in a recent free agent draft and chose Breida. I think his role will be well defined as the CoP back and with Shanahan's scheme he could garner weekly flex consideration. Breida could be locked into this role long-term too. 

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

yep he locked up the no 2 role, and Williams shat the bed

Hightower may be released

Williams lost a fumble, but 10-53 isn't really shat the bed stuff if we're just talking the last preseason game. 

That said, yeah, it appears Brieda is either the No. 2/cuff here or at least the COP guy. 

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

yep he locked up the no 2 role, and Williams shat the bed

Hightower may be released

I really think the plan is for Joe Will to succeed Hyde and take over the "Devonta" role and Brieda to fill Tevin Coleman's role. Of course Williams has to earn it first.