NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Breida 2017 Season Outlook

9 minutes ago, cpc115 said:

Why not "gamble" on an unowned player who a coach values enough to drop a fourth round pick for? People were juiced over Kareem Hunt for the confidence he had to trade up for him and look how that has turned out. If a coach does something to show confidence in a player, they are worth holding if it roster size allows it. I'm holding Brenda on all my teams as Shanahan showed faith by cutting Joe Williams. If Hyde never goes down , I'll have lost nothing on the free agent pick up.

Hell of a lot better than using waivers on JJ Nelson for a goose egg.

I do agree they show confidence in Brieda but Joe Williams wasn't cut just put on IR FYI.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't watched any 49er games, but has he been impressive at all? His stat lines are very meager and he literally has no highlight plays to indicate that he could be a factor. I am reluctantly holding him right now. 

28 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

I haven't watched any 49er games, but has he been impressive at all? His stat lines are very meager and he literally has no highlight plays to indicate that he could be a factor. I am reluctantly holding him right now. 

I think he's looked good.   His athleticism metrics are extremely impressive.

10 hours ago, ccimore said:

I think he's looked good.   His athleticism metrics are extremely impressive.

I dropped him last night to pick up Eli McGuire who was dropped last week. He's free for anyone to scoop up right now and no one has claimed him. Also this is a seasoned dynasty league so we have several sharp owners who should have jumped on him if he was worth it. This only confirms my suspension that Breida is a JAG. Take it for what it's worth. 

14 hours ago, yahyahtrick said:

I do agree they show confidence in Brieda but Joe Williams wasn't cut just put on IR FYI.

My read of the Rams game after my heart stopped with Hyde on the sideline was that if Breida was a more than competent replacement he would have had more touches  and Hyde less if the coaches were genuinely concerned about Hydes injury. They ran Hyde like he was as healthy as an ox and it was obvious he wasn.t on the sideline.

I'm not sure how a 90+% spark athlete is a JAG...He may very well be but way too early to say that IMO.

Still seems like a nice upside backup to hold IMO as Hyde is always a walking infirmary and the 49ers are going to feature the RB position IMO with their lack of skill elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

I dropped him last night to pick up Eli McGuire who was dropped last week. He's free for anyone to scoop up right now and no one has claimed him. Also this is a seasoned dynasty league so we have several sharp owners who should have jumped on him if he was worth it. This only confirms my suspension that Breida is a JAG. Take it for what it's worth. 

How does that same logic not apply to McGuire lol? 

1 hour ago, yahyahtrick said:

How does that same logic not apply to McGuire lol? 

I don't have time to do your homework for you. Check out the tape, check out his path for opportunities for touches, and look at his stat line from limited touches in his previous game. That's your answer.

6 minutes ago, petekrum said:

There is literally no chance Hyde loses his job to this guy.

Agree....Crazy to think that Hyde could lose his job.  That's not happening.

However, based upon Hyde's first 3 years in the league though, there is also little chance Hyde stays healthy for 16 games.  Pretty likely Breida becomes relevant at some point.

20 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

I don't have time to do your homework for you. Check out the tape, check out his path for opportunities for touches, and look at his stat line from limited touches in his previous game. That's your answer.

Im not asking you to do my homework. I've done plenty.

My comment was referring to your faulty logic.

McGuire was dropped by your expert and seasoned dynasty league. I guess your seasoned vets don't miss as you've implied, and you just picked up someone they dropped. Gasp, must be another JAG.

I'll stick with my handcuff with 90+ percentile athletic measureables. This isn't a McGuire thread. 

Edited by yahyahtrick
57 minutes ago, yahyahtrick said:

Im not asking you to do my homework. I've done plenty.

My comment was referring to your faulty logic.

McGuire was dropped by your expert and seasoned dynasty league. I guess your seasoned vets don't miss as you've implied, and you just picked up someone they dropped. Gasp, must be another JAG.

I'll stick with my handcuff with 90+ percentile athletic measureables. This isn't a McGuire thread. 

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. As much as I hate long form I feel you are not getting what I am saying.

Do you play much dynasty or keeper? Sometimes players, even talented players like McGuire are dropped because of other positional needs and/or a sense that they might buried on the depth chart. The other owner dropped McGuire prior to the MIA game because of the reasons above and his roster was already full of sleepers/stashes. On game day Forte gets nicked up, McGuire gets some run and flashes some skills. 7 for 34 is pretty good. In fact he's averaging almost 5 ypc on the season. He's also a good receiver out of the backfield.

So maybe you can help me and tell me why I should have kept Breida? He hasn't done anything to push Hyde by all accounts. He looks like a poor man's version of Ronnie Hillman so far.

I get that something could happen and the switch gets flipped with Breida and he suddenly turns into Dion Lewis, but he's not shown that he's anything more than a backup who will probably always be part of a committee, even if Hyde goes down. 

Edited by pikerbkb
9 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. As much as I hate long form I feel you are not getting what I am saying.

Do you play much dynasty or keeper? Sometimes players, even talented players like McGuire are dropped because of other positional needs and/or a sense that they might buried on the depth chart. The other owner dropped McGuire prior to the MIA game because of the reasons above and his roster was already full of sleepers/stashes. On game day Forte gets nicked up, McGuire gets some run and flashes some skills. 7 for 34 is pretty good. In fact he's averaging almost 5 ypc on the season. He's also a good receiver out of the backfield.

So maybe you can help me and tell me why I should have kept Breida? He hasn't done anything to push Hyde by all accounts. He looks like a poor man's version of Ronnie Hillman so far.

I get that something could happen and the switch gets flipped with Breida and he suddenly turns into Dion Lewis, but he's not shown that he's anything more than a backup who will probably always be part of a committee, even if Hyde goes down. 

I didn't take it as rude no worries.

I'm actually with you in the sense that I don't think I'd own Breida if I didn't own Hyde. He needs an injury to be relevant.

However I don't think McGuire is in a considerably better situation than Breida, especially before Forte got hurt. In a sense, he was in a similar one to Breida but the injury happened. 

I've mentioned before that I'm not sold on Breida becoming a bellcow if Hyde goes down. I just don't want to risk not having him because I surely won't be able to grab him with my priority order as I think he'll be a top add. Obv if you don't own Hyde, this is all moot. 

To add, I don't think McGuire is going to get majority looks either, even if Forte was out for the year. Powell is not just going to disappear, I think it would be a committee in NY no matter what. 

Edited by yahyahtrick
22 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

nah brieda is the way to go, if hyde goes down instant RB2 at worst low end rb2 or high end flex

Hmm. Hard to see why this would be the case. That Mosert guy got run as well, didn't he? Can't hurt to roster but I think there is uncertainty regarding role going forward without significant injury to Hyde. Hyde limited today in practice, so let's see what happens. 

6 minutes ago, CooL said:

Hmm. Hard to see why this would be the case. That Mosert guy got run as well, didn't he? Can't hurt to roster but I think there is uncertainty regarding role going forward without significant injury to Hyde. Hyde limited today in practice, so let's see what happens. 

yea fair concern, just think in my opinion breida would outshine mosert enough to get the full load

Non Hyde owner here in a 32 man roster IDP Keeper league, and I got no problem with lottery ticket (Breida) keeping the 4-7 spot on my RB bench warm (DMurray/DHenry, JHoward, BAllen/ACollins, WSmallwood, MBreida). 

I've been sitting on him since the off-season, and he has been as high as 4th on my team's RB depth chart <---point being: I am not rostering Breida simply because I have a large roster; as I stated, I have made moves leaving Breida as my 4th RB...doing what I needed to do, to NOT allow him to hit the waiver wire.

2 hours ago, CooL said:

Mostert is, and has always been, primarily a ST guy.  He is an emergency back up RB only.  Will he get snaps if Hyde misses time?  Sure.  BECAUSE THERE ISN'T A 4TH RB ON THE ROSTER AND BREIDA WON'T BE ABLE TO TAKE ALL THE SNAPS.

Nothing could be more obvious from Shanahan's roster moves and how he has handled the RB position to date.  Breida will be asked to provide Hyde-like production in Hyde's absence.  Do with that what you will.   

If Hyde goes down I'm calling for a full blown committee. Breida's not ready. They'll mix in KJ with Breida and Muststart and add a free agent or practice squadder. I want to like Breida but the more we discuss this the more obvious it becomes. 

Edited by pikerbkb
10 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

If Hyde goes down I'm calling for a full blown committee. Breida's not ready. They'll mix in KJ with Breida and Muststart and add a free agent or practice squadder. I want to like Breida but the more we discuss this the more obvious it becomes. 

That was how the 49ers played it last week when Hyde missed some time. It doesn't look pretty if Hyde goes down. Going to be reliant on one of the committee guys scoring a TD for value.

Breida is not one of the more valuable handcuffs out there.