NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Breida 2017 Season Outlook

15 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Forte was my guess too.  However, Jets brass told Matt just yesterday or the day before that he was not being shopped.  

Keep in mind, Shanahan is "fit" obsessed.  He won't bring in someone unless he (Shanny) is convinced that the player is a good fit for outside zone and has excellent pass chops.

So maybe like somebody they already have, Kyle juszczyk?

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not seeing enuf love here, well with the situation and all. Seeing bumped threads on the Williams guys, Matt Jones, Tolbert and Mcnichols. Call me crazy but at the moment, this guy has the clearest path to fantasy relevance right now. Considering how fragile Hyde is, that path might be sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, Sonny_D said:

Not seeing enuf love here, well with the situation and all. Seeing bumped threads on the Williams guys, Matt Jones, Tolbert and Mcnichols. Call me crazy but at the moment, this guy has the clearest path to fantasy relevance right now. Considering how fragile Hyde is, that path might be sooner rather than later. 

Hyde has the worst (32nd) schedule for a running back. Add to that the bad offensive line. If the 49ers end up losing him, Breida would only be a flex play at best even in a 12-team league. There are better lotto tickets.

Edited by CamNewton
59 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

Hyde has the worst (32nd) schedule for a running back. Add to that the bad offensive line. If the 49ers end up losing him, Breida would only be a flex play at best even in a 12-team league. There are better lotto tickets.

I've found that basing RB production on projected schedules is one of the worst things you can do. Even poor RB's have some great games against supposed tough defenses. Besides, I don't think you're giving enough credit to a Shanny run offense.

But to each his own I guess.

2 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

I've found that basing RB production on projected schedules is one of the worst things you can do. Even poor RB's have some great games against supposed tough defenses. Besides, I don't think you're giving enough credit to a Shanny run offense.

Fair enough, but Joe Williams won't be on the IR all season either. I just think there are better handcuffs to bet on than this situation. Don't get me wrong, I have Breida on my watch list if Hyde were to get injured. I'm just not sure he's worth rostering in leagues with 12 or less teams unless the rosters are deep.

13 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

Fair enough, but Joe Williams won't be on the IR all season either. I just think there are better handcuffs to bet on than this situation. Don't get me wrong, I have Breida on my watch list if Hyde were to get injured. I'm just not sure he's worth rostering in leagues with 12 or less teams unless the rosters are deep.

Williams season is over. 

I'd only roster if you own Hyde and have no rb depth. That way at least if he goes down you  "may" have something. But I'd agree it's hard to hope for the backup on a bottom 10 team to be worth a roster spot to hold for multiple weeks. 

All we're hoping for is a Tevin Coleman-esque role in this offense, and he can be fantasy relevant from the start.  We don't entirely know what to expect from the 49'ers once the season begins, and there are far worse players you can hedge a meaningless 12th round pick on.  

Edited by kdko
12 hours ago, 77georgec said:

If we are talking eye-test, this kid really looks good running and catching the ball. I have no problem at all stashing him because if Hyde gets hurt again, money. 

Agreed.  This kid's SPARQ score was off the charts.  He's the clear number 2 behind an injury prone RB that they will try to use as a workhorse.  If he does play the Coleman role this kid will have weekly value and if Hyde misses time he's a starter on your team that you can have for free right now.  Only owned in 4% of Yahoo leagues right now.  My prediction is he's going to be one of the hottest WW adds during the first couple weeks.  This guy had 2/3rd round potential but went undrafted b/c of a drop in production his senior year, but that was due to only 1 starter on offense coming back and a change in scheme.  If you look at his Soph and Junior numbers, they are insane.  If you're a Hyde owner you absolutely need to handcuff him with this guy if you're in a 12 team or greater.  Just my $.02

On 9/3/2017 at 6:16 PM, Sonny_D said:

Agree..  Hyde had his best game of the year last year @ Seattle.  It was a blowout but they ran Hdye for 21 attempts and 2 TD's! 

4 minutes ago, LouDawg said:

Agree..  Hyde had his best game of the year last year @ Seattle.  It was a blowout but they ran Hdye for 21 attempts and 2 TD's! 

yeah, but that was Chipster ... and his offense runs a ton of plays, and doesn't abandon the run 'til the team bus is boarded. 

really doubt Shanny is gonna have Hyde in there slamming into the line, on the road, when he's down 35-3. 

oh, and they may actually have a semblance of a passing attack this year.  

look, i dig Hyde ... but please don't expect Chip Kelly like foolishness. 

12 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

yeah, but that was Chipster ... and his offense runs a ton of plays, and doesn't abandon the run 'til the team bus is boarded. 

really doubt Shanny is gonna have Hyde in there slamming into the line, on the road, when he's down 35-3. 

oh, and they may actually have a semblance of a passing attack this year.  

look, i dig Hyde ... but please don't expect Chip Kelly like foolishness. 

Great point... Ya, I don't see them running their #1 RB into the ground in blowouts but I could see the dump offs underneath with the way Shanny likes to utilize the RB's in space which both Hyde and Breida have shown positive signs at excelling in.  

His outlook just seems to get better day by day, that 4% ownership on Yahoo should definitely rise here soon.

Rob Lowder @Rob_Lowder

Freeman and Coleman racked up 2,482 total yards and 24 touchdowns in 2016 under Kyle Shanahan. Could be a big year for #49ers running backs.

Edited by Finally Detroit Wins
4 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Here's the video...interesting

Would have been nice to hear the question asked. When asked about other teammates, players don't typically respond that "they will be riding pine unless I get hurt" or "nah, he won't play much, I'm the man." We'll see the usage this Sunday but I'm not taking much stock in any player/coach speak at this point in time.

1 hour ago, Finally Detroit Wins said:

His outlook just seems to get better day by day, that 4% ownership on Yahoo should definitely rise here soon.

Rob Lowder @Rob_Lowder

Freeman and Coleman racked up 2,482 total yards and 24 touchdowns in 2016 under Kyle Shanahan. Could be a big year for #49ers running backs.

Big difference between the offenses