NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Breida 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a Hyde owner I avoided his cuff because no idea if the cuff is worth taking given breida  was not the heir apparent preseason and without seeing the offense for 4 solid qtrs in a real game to determine how good they are + the possibility a free agent rb is added before trade deadline; instead i stashed jamaal williams simply based on the premise of injury recovering tymonty and better offense.

Maybe i add breida after tomorrow once I see how this new offense will perform.

Edited by dashoe
17 minutes ago, dashoe said:

As a Hyde owner I avoided his cuff because no idea if the cuff is worth taking given breida  was not the heir apparent preseason and without seeing the offense for 4 solid qtrs in a real game to determine how good they are + the possibility a free agent rb is added before trade deadline; instead i stashed jamaal williams simply based on the premise of injury recovering tymonty and better offense.

Ummm....hyde to hyde owner, u need this guy before someone else scoops him up

22 minutes ago, dashoe said:

In the end, these guys are all lottery tickets. Your chance of success with each of them may be higher with some than others, and that's where you have to gauge situation and probability for things to occur that would make your lotto ticket a winner. Sometimes it's not obvious. If Gilleslie, James White, and Burkhead all go out for sushi next Saturday night and wake up with food poisoning, then Dion Lewis becomes a great winner. But what are the chances of that happening? With Breida, he is playing behind a guy who has demonstrated he is often injured. Plus he'll probably get some playing time even with a healthy Hyde.

if you have a 20 player bench, then sure, roster them all. If you have to pick and choose selectively, take the guy in the best possible situation for playing time. It doesn't matter if you think the Niners will be bad. If this guy gets on the field, he's more valuable than the 4 riches Jamaal Williams might give you right now. Taking the "wait and see" approach means you won't be getting him if a Hyde injury were to occur or if Breida breaks out, unless of course you're prepared to blow your whole FAAB budget. 

Not to try and sound smart, but now is a good time to buy shares of the entire 49er offense, especially if you're in dynasty leagues. I bought shares of Marquise Godwin, Breida, Williams (IR), might even grab Hoyer as a backup. All free or late round dart throws with Breida having the highest confidence level. I really like Godwin as well. He's been injury prone, but he was never really fully committed to football until now and and was used strictly as a deep threat in BUF. Never got to develop as a receiver. He could potentially end up as a Tyreek Hill lite type of player. Same size,  speed and quickness combo. Word is he has a short and intermediate game to go with his deep routes. He could be a hidden gem as well. 

Edited by pikerbkb

What frustrates me when it comes to rostering niners players(hyde+Garcon) is I'm relying on perceived talent and potential usage on a new offense that did not show us in preseason what it will do for the season.

I'm not an NFL savant but I swear I didnt get a single clue of what Shannahan offense will do from the preseason games aside from a couple of plays against the Vikings.

56 minutes ago, scheibler said:

Ummm....hyde to hyde owner, u need this guy before someone else scoops him up

Actually just out of curiousity ran hyde name in the sports injury predictor and he hit 82% risk. .  .so guess who just added breida today?:ph34r:

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

What frustrates me when it comes to rostering niners players(hyde+Garcon) is I'm relying on perceived talent and potential usage on a new offense that did not show us in preseason what it will do for the season.

I'm not an NFL savant but I swear I didnt get a single clue of what Shannahan offense will do from the preseason games aside from a couple of plays against the Vikings.

I'm not sure Shanahan knows how it's all going to fit. No Julio Jones type receiver. No Freeman. No Matt Ryan. I'm sure he knows how he wants it to go.

This is a pretty interesting read on what he liked to do in ATL as far as scheme and player utilization. 

http://m.49ers.com/news/article-2/Kyle-Shanahans-Offensive-Scheme-Ranked-Best-in-the-NFL/003e1681-0b3e-4f92-a2fe-c62cf7cadae5

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Completely agree.  I'm rostering some Niners just on the belief that the Shanahan offensive system can produce some points.  Certainly the Niners aren't as talented.  Heck, you've got Brian Hoyer leading the helm.  But I think Garcon and Hyde can be top tier 2 players.  And if Hyde gets hurt, I'd expect Breida to get his chances.   At the very least, there should be some garbage points with an offensive minded coach who isn't afraid to take shots.

He's a good handcuff just because of Hyde's injury history, but does anyone think he is that good?

I watched the tape on him and he seems very ordinary.

The way he run is so off balance, he seems like he's gonna tip over whenever he runs.

I picked him up, but I really don't think he would be that good even given the starter role.

12 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

He's a good handcuff just because of Hyde's injury history, but does anyone think he is that good?

The way he run is so off balance, he seems like he's gonna tip over whenever he runs.

I picked him up, but I really don't think he would be that good even given the starter role.

then why did you pick him up?

21 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

yeah that is was my concern, wondering if he gets the start due to injury is he even good enough to be relevant. So I focus on the basics of volume +opportunity vs talent and stashed him because Hyde has an 83% forecast of being injured. Volume alone should make him a low rb2., which is worth the stash. he may not win me a week as a starter but he should at least keep me competitive  in his slot for my studs to win me my weeks.

Edited by dashoe
29 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Lucky for him that Shanny and his NFL staff seem to think he has NFL ability and will get an opportunity to play.

2 hours ago, RustyMiller said:

Put on his tape and then watch tape of Tevin Coleman. You'll see that they have very similar running styles and it's obvious why Shanahan targeted Breida. Tevin's a little bigger, but Matt has better lateral movement. Both have that one cut style, hit the hole fast/not a lot of dancing and have serious jets once they get past the line of scrimmage. 

He's still a sleeper and by nature could easily not pan out, but he's got big upside. 

Edited by pikerbkb
5 minutes ago, beware d-ware said:

Steroids tend to do that.

Not hating on Breida at all though. I think 110% of the league is on the juice.

Probably ... it's like cycling. If you don't juice... You lose your edge because the other guy probably did it