NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Breida 2017 Season Outlook

Admittedly, it is barely a handful of snaps, but when Breida has touched the ball, he has to my eye looked like a guy who will likely replicate Hyde's production substantially if Hyde were to miss time.  In short, Breida looks very well-suited and uber-capable in this percolating offense.  As soon as all these new Niner players get on the same page in Shanahan's offense (it is already starting to happen despite what you see in the box scores), opportunity for Breida as a back up to Hyde will increase, while his potential to be a high end RB2 (or even a low end RB1) if Hyde gets dinged up soars.

You heard it here first -- if Hyde gets injured, Breida becomes another Hunt.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Admittedly, it is barely a handful of snaps, but when Breida has touched the ball, he has to my eye looked like a guy who will likely replicate Hyde's production substantially if Hyde were to miss time.  In short, Breida looks very well-suited and uber-capable in this percolating offense.  As soon as all these new Niner players get on the same page in Shanahan's offense (it is already starting to happen despite what you see in the box scores), opportunity for Breida as a back up to Hyde will increase, while his potential to be a high end RB2 (or even a low end RB1) if Hyde gets dinged up soars.

Nah. Offense is too bad.

4 hours ago, Bartos said:

Page 7 of 7 lol

Bartos, if you're suggesting that my input is somehow late, you need to do your homework first.  While you were sleeping, Breida was being vetted before this thread ever started.  This is my 5/22 post in the Hyde thread:

According to this, UDFA Matt Breida was more impressive than Williams during the Niners recent rookie mini-camp:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/5/21/15657152/49ers-roster-breakdowns-90-in-90-rb-matt-breida-rb-barkley-shanahan

Keep in mind, Breida was one of the most sought after UDFAs.  He led all 2017 prospects in position adjusted SPARQ (https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/rb/), and had monster 2014 and 2015 seasons at Georgia Southern, so 17 NFL teams tried to sign him after the draft.  It is not necessarily a knock on Williams that Breida held his own against Williams during rookie mini-camp.

There is a lot more where that came from.  

Look in a mirror before you suggest that someone is late to the party lol

Edited by Rolling Thunder
4 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Nah. Offense is too bad.

I have a hunch you'll be reconsidering as the season wears on.  

With the exception of a few folks on the O-Line and Hyde, the offense started the season with players who had never played together, but who were tasked with executing an entirely new system.    What we've seen so far has been totally natural and anticipate.  Lots of positive plays have been left on the field so far.  That is why box score reading doesn't tell the story.  Seeing the run game excel against an elite Seahawk D on the road is just one of many signs so far suggesting that the immediate future is positive for this offense.

Let's see how things play out in the next several weeks.    

6 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Hyde is built like a rock, strong constitution and rarely misses playing time. No way he gets injured this week. No way. Not possible. Expect the 49ers to use him heavily and Hyde to get stronger and stronger. Not counting the past 5 years, the kid barely has an injury history:

Dec 24, 2016 NFL Knee MCL Tear Grade 3 Hyde tore his MCL in Week 16 action and it cost him the last game of the season.
Oct 16, 2016 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Hyde suffered a sprained right shoulder and was sidelined the next two games.
Aug 26, 2016 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 3 Hyde suffered a concussion in the third game of the preseason.
Aug 26, 2016 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Hyde suffered a concussion in the third game of the preseason.
Oct 22, 2015 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Hyde fractured his foot in week 5. He was shut down in week 8 and did not return for the rest of the season. He needed surgery to repair the stress fracture.
Sep 20, 2015 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 After taking a hard hit near half time, Hyde was checked for a concussion, he passed but was still sidelined for the rest of the game. He returned the following week.
Sep 20, 2015 NFL Leg Thigh Bruise No games were missed due to a minor thigh bruise.
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Hyde was benched for the fourth quarter against the Seahawks and didn't return for another 2 weeks as a result of a sprained ankle.
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Back Vertebral Disc Hernia Hyde got pulled awkwardly and injured his back and ankle in week 15. He missed the last 2 games of the season.
Sep 8, 2012 Non-NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Hyde was pulled at halftime due to a sprained MCL and missed the following two weeks as well.

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

Hyde is built like a rock, strong constitution and rarely misses playing time. No way he gets injured this week. No way. Not possible. Expect the 49ers to use him heavily and Hyde to get stronger and stronger. Not counting the past 5 years, the kid barely has an injury history:

Dec 24, 2016 NFL Knee MCL Tear Grade 3 Hyde tore his MCL in Week 16 action and it cost him the last game of the season.
Oct 16, 2016 NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Hyde suffered a sprained right shoulder and was sidelined the next two games.
Aug 26, 2016 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 3 Hyde suffered a concussion in the third game of the preseason.
Aug 26, 2016 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 Hyde suffered a concussion in the third game of the preseason.
Oct 22, 2015 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Hyde fractured his foot in week 5. He was shut down in week 8 and did not return for the rest of the season. He needed surgery to repair the stress fracture.
Sep 20, 2015 NFL Head Cranial Concussion Grade 1 After taking a hard hit near half time, Hyde was checked for a concussion, he passed but was still sidelined for the rest of the game. He returned the following week.
Sep 20, 2015 NFL Leg Thigh Bruise No games were missed due to a minor thigh bruise.
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 Hyde was benched for the fourth quarter against the Seahawks and didn't return for another 2 weeks as a result of a sprained ankle.
Dec 14, 2014 NFL Back Vertebral Disc Hernia Hyde got pulled awkwardly and injured his back and ankle in week 15. He missed the last 2 games of the season.
Sep 8, 2012 Non-NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Hyde was pulled at halftime due to a sprained MCL and missed the following two weeks as well.

Hyde is in a contract year and wants to get paid. He'll amazingly be a lot tougher this year.

1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I have a hunch you'll be reconsidering as the season wears on.  

With the exception of a few folks on the O-Line and Hyde, the offense started the season with players who had never played together, but who were tasked with executing an entirely new system.    What we've seen so far has been totally natural and anticipate.  Lots of positive plays have been left on the field so far.  That is why box score reading doesn't tell the story.  Seeing the run game excel against an elite Seahawk D on the road is just one of many signs so far suggesting that the immediate future is positive for this offense.

Let's see how things play out in the next several weeks.    

No.

Hunt has legit #1 overall RB upside. Breida does not.

Edited by dmb3684
3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

So is Allen Robinson... I guess he doesn't want that fat contract though, right?

I guess you can point to something catastrophic like Robinson. I was more talking about the little nicks and dings will not keep him sidelined. Sprains and bruises ect ect...

I'm keeping him stashed as long as I can. Once the bye weeks start hitting that may be tough, but he's the type of guy that if Hyde were to go down, he would immediately be the #1 WW add. Also, I can see him flirting with standalone flex value as this offense gets going and he gets more game experience. 

40 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

No.

Hunt has legit #1 overall RB upside. Breida does not.

I own Hunt, so I know him as well as anyone.  It doesn't take saavy (or guts) to say he a legit #1.  He is one already.

Based on just a PS and a handful of real game snaps, I already see Breida as a player who can and will be a legit every week starting FF RB if Hyde misses time.  Is that a deep dive?  Sure.  Is that sticking my neck out?  You bet.  But I trust my eyes, both with the player and with this emerging offense, so much so that I have rostered  Breida everywhere I can.  Hyde still needs to miss time to test my thesis, but if he does, I believe the payoff will be substantial for those who have what it takes to see it coming.

I've got him stashed everywhere but it will get dicey when bye weeks start.

My big question: what is the long term outlook of this backfield?  Hyde is an unrestricted free agent after this season. What do I have in Breida for keeper prospects?

Edited by Trifecta
7 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

My big question: what is the long term outlook of this backfield?  Hyde is an unrestricted free agent after this season. What do I have in Breida for keeper prospects?

If Hyde leaves San Francisco, Breida goes head-to-head with Joe Williams, and the one who wins will get the main duties. Joe was put on IR not because of serious injury, but because the staff believes that this work-in-progress isn't ready yet. That said, ask this question at the end of the season, as it'll be clear: if when Hyde goes down and if Breida shines, he's your keeper.

14 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but I believe Breida will be a star in this offense.  I believe that Shanahan believes that too.  You don't cut Hightower and Bibbs, and mothball Williams, leaving yourself with just Breida to back up Hyde if don't love (and trust) Breida.

Don't take my word for it.  Find a way to view Breida's PS and regular season snaps so far and study him in action.  There aren't that many of them, but what's there is eye opening IMO.  He's special in this offense, and that should not necessarily surprise anyone.  There were Heisman candidacy whispers following his amazing 2015 season, and if he had attended the Combine, he would have been a top 3 RB by the numbers.  He is the right guy, in right situation, at the right time.  I won't be surprised if he starts flashing soon enough, even in his back up role, that he'll have most folks in the fantasy community scratching their heads by mid-season wondering how they missed the boat on this one. 

4 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I own Hunt, so I know him as well as anyone.  It doesn't take saavy (or guts) to say he a legit #1.  He is one already.

Based on just a PS and a handful of real game snaps, I already see Breida as a player who can and will be a legit every week starting FF RB if Hyde misses time.  

Well that's a lot different than being the next Hunt to me. Just a semantics thing. Carry on.

4 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

.....if he had attended the Combine, he would have been a top 3 RB by the numbers

I went and checked his pro day measurements, and Thunder's statement is correct.  Ok, I'm listening.  

Matt Breida's Ga Southern RB pro day #'s if at Combine
40yd: 4.37 (1st)
Vert: 42" (1st)
Broad: 11.2 (1st)
225: 23 (3rd) 

3 minutes ago, ccimore said:

I went and checked his pro day measurements, and Thunder's statement is correct.  Ok, I'm listening.  

Matt Breida's Ga Southern RB pro day #'s if at Combine
40yd: 4.37 (1st)
Vert: 42" (1st)
Broad: 11.2 (1st)
225: 23 (3rd) 

Doesn't a lot of home cooking go into pro day numbers though? I mean, there's no doubt he's athletic, but these numbers are craaaazy.