NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Elijah McGuire 2017 Outlook

Iron-cock

I mentioned this in the waiver wire thread, but he's got a better chance of stealing early downs from Forte ROS than Powell does.  Powell might be the better start for the next week or two, but if you're looking for a guy who might be a starter soon, he's not a bad guy to park on your bench.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Iron-cock said:

I mentioned this in the waiver wire thread, but he's got a better chance of stealing early downs from Forte ROS than Powell does.  Powell might be the better start for the next week or two, but if you're looking for a guy who might be a starter soon, he's not a bad guy to park on your bench.

If Forte is out then why should he be parked on the bench? I'm sure the Jets want to see if this kid is real or not.

1 minute ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

If Forte is out then why should he be parked on the bench? I'm sure the Jets want to see if this kid is real or not.

Depends on your league, roster size, etc.  I don't think most people will have to start him this week, but hey if your team is that bad feel free to roll the dice. :lol:

1 minute ago, dorsett33 said:

I know its wrong forum but who do you guys think would be better in flex.....McGuire or James White?  PPR league

I'd take white for this week in a potential shootout with TB.  McGuire's role is still up in the air a bit and you'd have to decide by kickoff tonight.

26 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Wow...what a great article and a tear jerker. Makes me root for the kid even more. I'm glad he's on my team(s). I got him all across the leagues.

1 hour ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

This is my hope, but if the Jets are trying to stealth tank they will continue to dilute the carries, although McGuire's workload should continue to rise. Forte needs to go to IR. No sense in incurring more wear and tear. Maybe he can catch on with a contender next season.

2 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

This is my hope, but if the Jets are trying to stealth tank they will continue to dilute the carries, although McGuire's workload should continue to rise. Forte needs to go to IR. No sense in incurring more wear and tear. Maybe he can catch on with a contender next season.

Tank talk is overblown. Plus you can still tank and have a good running game. Look at the Bears last year.

2 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

Tank talk is overblown. Plus you can still tank and have a good running game. Look at the Bears last year.

True. Plus the forecast is that there will be 5 QBs in the 2018 draft worthy of a 1st round pick, assuming Darnold declares. The Jets should be able to draft the next QB of the future without tanking.

3 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

True. Plus the forecast is that there will be 5 QBs in the 2018 draft worthy of a 1st round pick, assuming Darnold declares. The Jets should be able to draft the next QB of the future without tanking.

Personally, I don't think Darnold is very good. I would be much happier with a guy like Mason Rudolph who actually has good mechanics. 

43 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Wow...what a great article and a tear jerker. Makes me root for the kid even more. I'm glad he's on my team(s). I got him all across the leagues.

Agree.  Great read.  I was bummed earlier in the week that I wound up getting him off waivers as he was like my 5th choice.  But now feeling much better about it.

Heck, the Jets aren't going to be a passing team and they need to run the ball.  There could be a big role for this kid and it's not inconceivable he could outplay Powell.  Before the Jags game, Powell had 28 carries for 72 yards (2.57) so it isn't like he was setting the world on fire.  

1 minute ago, tts42572 said:

Agree.  Great read.  I was bummed earlier in the week that I wound up getting him off waivers as he was like my 5th choice.  But now feeling much better about it.

Heck, the Jets aren't going to be a passing team and they need to run the ball.  There could be a big role for this kid and it's not inconceivable he could outplay Powell.  Before the Jags game, Powell had 28 carries for 72 yards (2.57) so it isn't like he was setting the world on fire.  

Well, you take away their big runs and both backs were averaging sub 3 yards a carry.

Just now, iheartrubio said:

Well, you take away their big runs and both backs were averaging sub 3 yards a carry.

man I really hate this narrative. I will mention Powell's long run was a product of a fluke incident while McGuire made 3 people miss and won the leg race. 

4 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

man I really hate this narrative. I will mention Powell's long run was a product of a fluke incident while McGuire made 3 people miss and won the leg race. 

Take away McGuires one long run (69 yards) and he still has 22 carries for 87 yards on the season (4 ypc).

Take away Powell's long run (75 yards), he has 48 carries for 160 yards (3.3 ypc).  And he also had one other run that was like 40 yards that was purely due to a large hole being there that I probably could've ran though.  Not to mention the 75 yard TD run was a complete fluke play where he fell down and everyone thought he was down and he got up and ran untouched for a TD.  

Take away those two plays and Powell had like 19 carries for 40 yards.

Not trying to nitpick....Just think many people might be perceiving Powell has a stronghold on the starting job after looking at last weeks box score and in reality, it wasn't really as great of a game as it looked on paper IMO.

To me, Mcguire run harder and looks quicker than Powell.  

1 minute ago, tts42572 said:

Take away McGuires one long run (69 yards) and he still has 22 carries for 87 yards on the season (4 ypc).

Take away Powell's long run (75 yards), he has 48 carries for 160 yards (3.3 ypc).  And he also had one other run that was like 40 yards that was purely due to a large hole being there that I probably could've ran though.  Not to mention the 75 yard TD run was a complete fluke play where he fell down and everyone thought he was down and he got up and ran untouched for a TD.  

Take away those two plays and Powell had like 19 carries for 40 yards.

Not trying to nitpick....Just think many people might be perceiving Powell has a stronghold on the starting job after looking at last weeks box score and in reality, it wasn't really as great of a game as it looked on paper IMO.

To me, Mcguire run harder and looks quicker than Powell.  

I hope you're right as I have him in a couple leagues.  Would make a good bye week filler.

31 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

I hope you're right as I have him in a couple leagues.  Would make a good bye week filler.

Well...part of my problem is I spent 15 minutes watching Mcguires college highlight compilations on YT....Wow, the kid made some amazing plays both running and receiving in college.  He looked like Kareem Hunt in college....

We're talking about the Jets here though....They find ways to screw up everything so I'm tempering expectations.