NBC Sports Edge Forums

Survivor Football 2017 Week 1

6 minutes ago, Baloo said:

Atlanta made it interesting but I make it to week 2.

Houston looks like a pick against team this year. They looked atrocious. I don't know why people bought that "Play for Hurricane Harvey" BS. Their QB situation is a mess.

Next week's pick I like:

Oakland at home against the Jets.

This is a no-brainer after watching both teams play today. Oakland has a ton of weapons. The Jets have none.

Seattle at home vs SF

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Eat your words, as I said I was just trying to help people from being eliminated in week 1.

Congratulations, you're still the biggest homer on the forums for a team that will struggle to win 7 games.

Just now, Br0kenB said:

Congratulations, you're still the biggest homer on the forums for a team that will struggle to win 7 games.

I'm a homer because I said the Jags will win 8 games and you shouldn't pick Houston for survivor?  Don't be so butthurt.

Week 2 early glance: 

#1 Raiders home vs Jets

#2 Cardinals @ Luck-Less Colts.

#3 Seahawks home vs 49ers

#4 Cincy home vs Texans

2 years ago Cincy was "a lock" to beat the Texans at home on Monday night in Week 10 and lost. That ended my pool. We were down to the final 4 guys (including me). That was like a $4500 loss. Man brutal. There's no way I'm picking that game again but hey it's the 4th best game on the board IMO

4 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Week 2 early glance: 

#1 Raiders home vs Jets

#2 Cardinals @ Luck-Less Colts.

#3 Seahawks home vs 49ers

#4 Cincy home vs Texans

2 years ago Cincy was "a lock" to beat the Texans at home on Monday night in Week 10 and lost. That ended my pool. We were down to the final 4 guys (including me). That was like a $4500 loss. Man brutal. There's no way I'm picking that game again but hey it's the 4th best game on the board IMO

Ravens at home vs Brown.  That revamped Ravens' defense looks good.

In my first ever Survivor Pool. I know zero about strategy, other than my instinct told me to pic the weakest teams ealry that you think has a great chance to win, so I picked the Bills. I also am a Bills fan (which is right up there in masochism with being a Browns and Bears Fan), but I picked them because they are at home, and hate that they lost to a not good Jets team last year. 

My survivor-newb

question is, I see on this thread how all the survivor veterans are touting picking obviously stronger teams early. This seems counter intuitive. Don't you save them for as late as possible when they have a great match up? 

7 minutes ago, Troutbum said:

In my first ever Survivor Pool. I know zero about strategy, other than my instinct told me to pic the weakest teams ealry that you think has a great chance to win, so I picked the Bills. I also am a Bills fan (which is right up there in masochism with being a Browns and Bears Fan), but I picked them because they are at home, and hate that they lost to a not good Jets team last year. 

My survivor-newb

question is, I see on this thread how all the survivor veterans are touting picking obviously stronger teams early. This seems counter intuitive. Don't you save them for as late as possible when they have a great match up? 

Hey...it really depends on the size of your pool. Some guys play with 30-50 people....others pay with 1000+ people in a pool.

If you are playing a smaller pool, lets say under 50 people, I like to take LESS risks. Pick the more obvious teams and wait for 50-60% of the pool to be eliminated by week 5 or so. Yes, it would be nice to have Pitt, NE, SEA, GB saved for the end, but your goal is just to move on.

With that said, I do not condone taking all the best teams every week, that could very easily handcuff you later on. 

25 minutes ago, Troutbum said:

My survivor-newb

I try to take as many non-elite teams early on as I can, but I mix it up a bit. If a mediocre home team is playing a trash opponent (like the Bills this past week), I roll the dice. I almost always take home teams too. I'll also take schedules into account. For instance, I see the Raiders are home to the Jets this upcoming week. Outside of a home game with the Ravens in a few weeks, nothing else makes me want to take the Raiders for a good while. So, even though they are much better than a mediocre team, I'll still take them this week. 

Everyone has their own strat though. Do whatever you feel is right for you. 

in 3 pools went with

1. Atlanta

2. Buffalo

3. Carolina

entrants for week 2 to contemplate

Week 2: 

Ari@IND: on my grid I have ARI as gimmes in week 4 vs SF, week 9 @ SF, week 11 @ HOU possibly if DJ is back.

OAKvsNYJ: on my grid I have OAK as gimme Week 8@Buff

SEAvsSF: gimmes Week 4 vs Ind, week 8 vs HOU and week 12 @ SF

TBvsCHI (i am high on TB this year though): week 7 @ buff and week 11 vs NYJ

Edited by rahuLL
1 minute ago, rahuLL said:

in 3 pools went with

1. Atlanta

2. Buffalo

3. Carolina

entrants for week 2 to contemplate

Week 2: 

Ari@IND: on my grid I have ARI as gimmes in week 4 vs SF, week 9 @ SF, week 11 @ HOU possibly if DJ is back.

OAK@NYJ: on my grid I have OAK as gimme Week 8@Buff

SEAvsSF: gimmes Week 4 vs Ind, week 8 vs HOU and week 12 @ SF

TBvsCHI (i am high on TB this year though): week 7 @ buff and week 11 vs NYJ

Raiders game is in OAK - will be a heavily picked team along with the Seahawks this week.

2 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Raiders game is in OAK - will be a heavily picked team along with the Seahawks this week.

I think Arizona as well. although i think i want to save arizona for week 9 @ SF (i know i know divisional)...Week 9 is slim pickings with Chi and Cle on byes

2 minutes ago, rahuLL said:

To the fellas who have numerous entrants in the same pool :

Would you rather diversify your picks or hitch your wagon to a single team? 

Obviously diversify... what's the point of having multiple entries if you're going to pick the same team?

Of course they'll be weeks later in the season where you might pick the same team once just because of lack of other options, but you always want to diversify to give yourself the best chance of one entry making it to the end.

14 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Obviously diversify... what's the point of having multiple entries if you're going to pick the same team?

Of course they'll be weeks later in the season where you might pick the same team once just because of lack of other options, but you always want to diversify to give yourself the best chance of one entry making it to the end.

I was thinking more so when there's a week when there is one or two absolute locks and the rest are toss ups 

2 hours ago, crocp said:

Hey...it really depends on the size of your pool. Some guys play with 30-50 people....others pay with 1000+ people in a pool.

If you are playing a smaller pool, lets say under 50 people, I like to take LESS risks. Pick the more obvious teams and wait for 50-60% of the pool to be eliminated by week 5 or so. Yes, it would be nice to have Pitt, NE, SEA, GB saved for the end, but your goal is just to move on.

With that said, I do not condone taking all the best teams every week, that could very easily handcuff you later on. 

Awesome, thanks for the advice! 

BTW, my pool is about 170. 

2 hours ago, rahuLL said:

I think Arizona as well. although i think i want to save arizona for week 9 @ SF (i know i know divisional)...Week 9 is slim pickings with Chi and Cle on byes

Week 9 is brutal...I think I'm using Seattle at home against Washington. I have a hard time trusting Arizona against anyone on the road.