NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rodney Hood 2017-2018 Season Outlook

bkw77

Who likes Hood for a bounce back? Will all be good in the Hood? (Sorry couldn't help myself)

He was a top 80 guy in the 15-16 season before suffering through knee ailments last year.

Now Hayward is gone, and to a lesser extent Hill, he appears to be the #1 shooting option in this squad. 

Hoods stats in 15-16:

79 Games, 14.5pts, 2.0 threes, 42% FG, 86% FT, 3.4 boards, 2.7 assists, 0.9 steals, 1.6 TO, 0.2 blocks.

If healthy you'd think these numbers are his floor, with the ability to push closer to 18pts per game.

Thoughts?

Predictions?

i rooted for him 2 years in a row. When he's healthy he can give you those stats from time to time but most of the time its brick city. Sadly, with the upcoming workload he needs to do,  them knees won't be able to hold up. i guess he's on my DND list now except if he falls past round 10. 

I actually kept him as my last keeper a couple years ago and it worked out for me with him having a mini breakout . but after that and with injuries i lost interest and lost my hype mentality around him. im jumping on mitchell late in the draft instead if he is still around

I owned him last season in deep league and it was of course headache. But at the beginning of November he had 5 games in the row average 19/5/3 and 2,8 threes with almost 55% FG. That was only bright period. If I would know he stays healthy Hood is probably worth drafting at 9th round.

I liked his potential and thought he could be a really good player, he's still a decent sleeper this year and I think he'll surpass his ADP by a few rounds, but the injuries are a problem. Utah is absolutely starved for offense, which could mean huge usage for him. When he broke out two seasons ago he was really good in the pick and roll, and they brought a lot of ballhandlers over like Hill and Joe Johnson which took away some of his shine in that department. 

I can certainly see a 16-17 / 4 / 4 year from him with barring health. As others have alluded, Mitchell is a stud, but I don't want to go ga-ga over rookies, it's really hard to project what they'll do. Don't forget Stanley Johnson MURDERED SL and has been a complete bust for two seasons.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tongs said:

Hood is only a late round target if you're punting FG in my opinion. 

No way he gets 4 assists, he can barely get 2. Only draft him for points and 3s

He's capable of 4 assists playing as a primary ball handler.. that role was taken by Hayward in years past. Hood showed a lot of promise in the pick and roll as a playmaker and shooter, he had good chemistry with Gobert. His per 36 in his breakout (2nd year) had him at 3 apg and again, that's a secondary playmaker. I said with usage it's possible. Utah is starved for offense, it's a possibility, but yes he'll be an FG hit. 

• Like 1

I'm a Jazz fan so I'm hoping for big things.  I expect an explosion in counting stats but realistically his game isn't fantasy friendly due to low FG and steals.  20/4/4 with 3 threes and one steal is his maximum possible upside.  If he hit that he would be elite.  A more realistic expectation is probably 18/3/3 with 2.5 threes and almost a steal on poor percentages.  That would still put him around Evan Fournier territory and top 75 value.  This all assumes he can dodge injury.  For me he is a no brainer flyer pick.   A lot of people go upside later in drafts and it's hard to imagine someone with more upside.  People draft rookies because they are sexy but players tend to break out in the 3rd or 4th year more often.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I'm a Jazz fan so I'm hoping for big things.  I expect an explosion in counting stats but realistically his game isn't fantasy friendly due to low FG and steals.  20/4/4 with 3 threes and one steal is his maximum possible upside.  If he hit that he would be elite.  A more realistic expectation is probably 18/3/3 with 2.5 threes and almost a steal on poor percentages.  That would still put him around Evan Fournier territory and top 75 value.  This all assumes he can dodge injury.  For me he is a no brainer flyer pick.   A lot of people go upside later in drafts and it's hard to imagine someone with more upside.  People draft rookies because they are sexy but players tend to break out in the 3rd or 4th year more often.

I like Hood this year. I wouldn't say his FT% is poor by any means. He shot 86% FT in his second year and shot mid 80 in the last 30 or so games last year after a bad start. He doesn't shoot a lot of FTs so the impact isn't there, but he's certainly not poor. If he gets his attempts up he'd be more helpful. That could happen.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

He's capable of 4 assists playing as a primary ball handler.. that role was taken by Hayward in years past. Hood showed a lot of promise in the pick and roll as a playmaker and shooter, he had good chemistry with Gobert. His per 36 in his breakout (2nd year) had him at 3 apg and again, that's a secondary playmaker. I said with usage it's possible. Utah is starved for offense, it's a possibility, but yes he'll be an FG hit. 

Which is now taken by someone else, a pass-first player. I'd rather have Hood bump his FG and take advantage of the fact that he has Rubio.

Ingles has a good assist rate too, I wonder if that has any relation to Hood's assist potential

9 minutes ago, tongs said:

Which is now taken by someone else, a pass-first player. I'd rather have Hood bump his FG and take advantage of the fact that he has Rubio.

Ingles has a good assist rate too, I wonder if that has any relation to Hood's assist potential

Ingles is a very sneaky value pick this year in the later rounders, he had the worst usage on the team and still put up some mind blowing steals, 3's, and assist numbers. He's could provide some low-end prime Boris Diaw type lines. I'm liking him in the last few rounds of drafts. That being said, if his usage is low, then he shouldn't impact Hood much. 

Rubio is a pass first, but he's not a score first, it's not the same thing running a pick and roll because defenses can sag behind the pick and two players can move back with Gobert and force Rubio to make a shot, so there'll be plenty for Hood as well, and I imagine several other players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

In

Ingles is a very sneaky value pick this year in the later rounders, he had the worst usage on the team and still put up some mind blowing steals, 3's, and assist numbers. He's could provide some low-end prime Boris Diaw type lines. I'm liking him in the last few rounds of drafts. That being said, if his usage is low, then he shouldn't impact Hood much. 

Rubio is a pass first, but he's not a score first, it's not the same thing running a pick and roll because defenses can sag behind the pick and two players can move back with Gobert and force Rubio to make a shot, so there'll be plenty for Hood as well, and I imagine several other players.

That's why I'm all-in on the entire Jazz starting five.  Good players on bad teams have career years...I expect the Jazz to be a borderline playoff team so it's a little inapplicable here but there's still some upside somewhere on the roster.  

I looked at the worst offensive teams last season and even the worst teams had their starting five average 73+ppg.  If Favors and Gobert combine for 30 and Rubio scores 13, that still leaves 30+ for Hood and Ingles.  Someone is going to blow up.  It doesn't hurt that you could buy the entire Jazz starting lineup for 80$ or so in an auction.  The same could be same for the Hawks, Indiana, and Lin/DAR.  I'm a big fan of cuffing in situations where you know someone is set to have a career year but you don't know whom.  

• Like 2

I rooted for Hood the first year and got off the train the second year. I have serious doubts he can play all 82 games in this year with all that pressure. Donovan Mitchell looks like the real thing though I don't know if he is as elite as Hood in the pick and roll.

Mitchell should get some minutes in the Utah semi-rebuild year. They are not good enough to win it all and need that extra player to put them over the top. They might get Exum some extra play too though I am sure they know he is a bust now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 8:29 AM, rob0403 said:

I rooted for Hood the first year and got off the train the second year. I have serious doubts he can play all 82 games in this year with all that pressure. Donovan Mitchell looks like the real thing though I don't know if he is as elite as Hood in the pick and roll.

Mitchell should get some minutes in the Utah semi-rebuild year. They are not good enough to win it all and need that extra player to put them over the top. They might get Exum some extra play too though I am sure they know he is a bust now.

I dont understand? They are nowhere near good enough to win it all. They will be lucky to make the playoffs yet alone "win it all'. Help me understand? 

On 9/1/2017 at 6:29 AM, rob0403 said:

1 hour ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

I dont understand? They are nowhere near good enough to win it all. They will be lucky to make the playoffs yet alone "win it all'. Help me understand? 

I think what he means by "extra player" is that if the Jazz were allowed to play 6-on-5 they would win the NBA Finals. And if the extra player was, say, LeBron. You have to admit they'd be tough to beat in that case, CoH. 

:ph34r:

• Like 2

Rodney Hood stayed in Utah this offseason for the first time to work with the Jazz coaches.

General manager Dennis Lindsey told Hood he needs significant all-around improvement, including a better free throw rate and more efficiency. Lindsey also said Hood has the potential to score 18 points per game, so it sounds like Hood received the message loud and clear. A scary knee injury in January curtailed Hood's progress after a breakout 2015-16, so maybe he could bounce back. He's worth a look at around 80-100 in standard leagues.

All signs point toward taking a flyer on him imo.  
  • Like 2

Rodney Hood I don't think he will take a huge leap forward. Even the GM or who ever it was only expects 18 points per game from him which is not bad if the efficiency is good. He is surrounded by guys in their primes, veterans, mature players and staff so maybe they will bring the best out of him. 

A late round flier guy but as of right now I would take Buddy Hield over Hood solely because Hield has shown more versatility to his game and these guys both would available in the later rounds. 

26 minutes ago, StarPig said:

Rodney Hood I don't think he will take a huge leap forward. Even the GM or who ever it was only expects 18 points per game from him which is not bad if the efficiency is good. He is surrounded by guys in their primes, veterans, mature players and staff so maybe they will bring the best out of him. 

A late round flier guy but as of right now I would take Buddy Hield over Hood solely because Hield has shown more versatility to his game and these guys both would available in the later rounds. 

To be perfectly frank, I think that late in the draft is just throwing darts at a dart board, trying to see who sticks.  Admittedly I would pick Hood because I am a Jazz fan, but I wouldn't fault anyone for throwing a dart at someone else.  I think the biggest obstacle to Hood seeing top 100 value is actually lack of steals.

7 hours ago, StarPig said:

Not sure I'd go near Hield this season, have a feeling Bogdanovic will outplay him - although perhaps they can play the two together?

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2017 at 2:25 AM, bkw77 said:

Not sure I'd go near Hield this season, have a feeling Bogdanovic will outplay him - although perhaps they can play the two together?

Possibly but I think for the fact that the Kings love Hield that his usage rate would be higher in turn more fantasy value at least for the good 1st half of the season. If Bogdonavic does outplay Hield and that is a big IF then maybe i can see a value shift around the 2nd half of the season.

But would Rodney Hood, he is in the same situation Evan Fourneir was in last year but with a lot better team. So possibly could hit could score more but like fourneir can possibly has his efficiency go down across the boards due to more responsibility. 

Edited by StarPig

Possibly but I think for the fact that the Kings love Hield that his usage rate would be higher in turn more fantasy value at least for the good 1st half of the season. If Bogdonavic does outplay Hield and that is a big IF then maybe i can see a value shift around the 2nd half of the season.

But would Rodney Hood, he is in the same situation Evan Fourneir was in last year but with a lot better team. So possibly could be a 20 point per game scorer  like fourneir can possibly has his efficiency go down across the boards due to more responsibility.  I would rather him at 16 points per game with great efficiency than 20 points per game for bad efficiency. Big deal you can score 4 more points than you did last season with the ball coming your way triple the times it did last year. 

But would Rodney Hood, he is in the same situation Evan Fourneir was in last year but with a lot better team. So possibly could be a 20 point per game scorer  like fourneir can possibly has his efficiency go down across the boards due to more responsibility.  I would rather him at 16 points per game with great efficiency than 20 points per game for bad efficiency. Big deal you can score 4 more points than you did last season with the ball coming your way triple the times it did last year.  (edit)

7 minutes ago, StarPig said:

But would Rodney Hood, he is in the same situation Evan Fourneir was in last year but with a lot better team. So possibly could be a 20 point per game scorer  like fourneir can possibly has his efficiency go down across the boards due to more responsibility.  I would rather him at 16 points per game with great efficiency than 20 points per game for bad efficiency. Big deal you can score 4 more points than you did last season with the ball coming your way triple the times it did last year.  (edit)

This looks like a bot typed this reply.

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2017 at 7:25 AM, bkw77 said:

I agree, not sure about outplaying Hield. But I feel Bogdanovic will be the better player and a more permanent fixture at the 2. Saying that he may be better at the 3?? I will definitely take a Bogdanovic in the later rounds over Hield, who I see him going down similar path as Mudiay. Also, I feel Hood is now officially an injury risk. My 2 cents