NBC Sports Edge Forums

Phillip Dorsett 2017 Season Outlook

I just read this, which seems reasonable (and which contradicts more or less what I said earlier):

Why the Patriots wanted Dorsett

“I think the Dorsett trade is more about moving Chris Hogan into the slot,” Lombardi said. “I think Hogan replaces [Julian] Edelman and Dorsett gives them somebody you have to guard on the outside. Okay, so Dorsett isn’t a great receiver, this isn’t like the Patriots got another Brandin Cooks, let’s be real honest here, they got a guy who can run fast. He’s a decoy.”

“It’s gonna be the clearing routes, it’s gonna be getting them out of the way,” Lombardi added about Dorsett’s role. “I think it’s gonna be Donte Stallworth-ish.”

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/9/6/16256864/mike-lombardi-explains-why-the-patriots-traded-jacoby-brissett-for-phillip-dorsett

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped Mitchell before the game last night and picked this guy up as a flier/dart throw.  Former first rounder.  Wish they could stick him in the slot, but after catching up on reading this thread, it sounds like he's not a great route runner and more of a deep ball guy.  That could be good news for Hogan to stay more in the slot.  I guess we'll have to wait until he settles in with his new team but with Amendola's injury issues I would imagine they will involve him as more than just a decoy as previously reported.  

3 hours ago, the_wolfman said:

Former 1st round pick...one of the only healthy WRs in a top passing offense. HTH 

That was my initial thinking, but after some further thought I realised he should be on my watch list, not on the bench.

Bench is for guys who have potential this week, and it's really going to take some time for the Pats to make him fantasy relevant. Until then, I'll follow this thread :)

Its the Pats, they have a history of finding gems and Brady takes players and make them look Pro Bowl like. If he can get the playbook, imagine the speed of cooks and dorsett!

But also, I am not expecting him to do much for weeks as he needs to learn this offense, has yet to build a rapport with Brady, but lets be real. Amendola, Edleman, both look far better in that Pats offense where I don't think anybody would know their name anywhere else. Dorrsett was picked by Bill, he has an eye. Blount was an average RB, last year he was a monster in the league. 

42 minutes ago, quaglinoman said:

Its the Pats, they have a history of finding gems and Brady takes players and make them look Pro Bowl like. If he can get the playbook, imagine the speed of cooks and dorsett!

But also, I am not expecting him to do much for weeks as he needs to learn this offense, has yet to build a rapport with Brady, but lets be real. Amendola, Edleman, both look far better in that Pats offense where I don't think anybody would know their name anywhere else. Dorrsett was picked by Bill, he has an eye. Blount was an average RB, last year he was a monster in the league. 

They do well with some players and not so well with others. The not-so players get cut/dumped. Joey Galloway, Ocho Cinco, Donte Stallworth didn't pan out too well, not to mention their lack of success at drafting WR's. BB is more than willing to give a player a chance, but that doesn't mean he will automatically turn scrambled eggs into  golden eggs.

24 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

seems like amendola will be out this week at least

shootout in new orleans 

i think its a good opportunity for dorsett 

The biggest challenge here for Dorsett is that he didn't succeed with Luck and that he was promptly traded within the first few weeks of the season.

No playbook is more complicated to learn than the Patriots. I'm not sure if there's anything here with Dorsett.

9 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

The biggest challenge here for Dorsett is that he didn't succeed with Luck and that he was promptly traded within the first few weeks of the season.

No playbook is more complicated to learn than the Patriots. I'm not sure if there's anything here with Dorsett.

that is true but luck doesnt really target slot receivers like brady does 

On 9/2/2017 at 6:29 PM, Dapro said:

I dropped my last man on bench to see what happens. I see he got over 22k add on yahoo. I guess those people are doing the same thing.

I just did the same in dynasty. I have no idea what the Patriots have planned for Dorsett, but I wouldn't be shocked if Belechick took another team's player and unlocked some of their talent. Seems like he may have done this before. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

This guy is trash panda. Avoid. 

He's a total boom or bust dart throw week to week. 

I'd rather be on Fowler III than this guy with Simien chucking him the pill. 

I agree.  But different situation.  wish he was a better route runner.  I'm not a fan of seeing Hogan playing the slot.  Hogan just looks unbalanced on those quick throws that you get in the slot and I wouldn't be suprised if Bellychick somehow gets Dorsett in there with his speed and hands and keeps Hogan on outside.  That's only reason I'm holding until a better waiver wire guy shows up.  Pipe dream I'm sure but whatever.  Doesn't matter really because everyone knows  Burkhead will be playing out of the slot this weekend and have 4 touchdowns now that you guys all dropped the Burk.

Just now, Bugs bunny said:

I agree.  But different situation.  wish he was a better route runner.  I'm not a fan of seeing Hogan playing the slot.  Hogan just looks unbalanced on those quick throws that you get in the slot and I wouldn't be suprised if Bellychick somehow gets Dorsett in there with his speed and hands and keeps Hogan on outside.  That's only reason I'm holding until a better waiver wire guy shows up.  Pipe dream I'm sure but whatever.  Doesn't matter really because everyone knows  Burkhead will be playing out of the slot this weekend and have 4 touchdowns now that you guys all dropped the Burk.

Still holding Burkhead. Hoody will bust Burkhead out late in the season. He'll be useful later. He's got more skill than this fool, that I know. 

This guy is the poor man's Johnny Knox.