NBC Sports Edge Forums

Corey Clement 2017 Season Outlook

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/6/2017 at 1:41 PM, devaster said:

Ajayi is taking the entire role. Clement will take a backseat after the bye. He has done well when asked to step up, which is all they can ask of the undrafted rookie.

On 11/6/2017 at 2:19 PM, frog34 said:

Yeah, unfortunately for Clement suppoerters Ajayi's role will only grow after the bye week. Clement will battle Blount for touches behind Ajayi. Best case for Clement this turns into a 2016 Falcons Freeman/Coleman situation, where Ajayi is RB1 and Clement a solid flex. No matter how you turn it going forward, there is no way Clement leads this backfield in touches unless Ajayi goes down.

I told you Clement wasn't going away. However, I was wrong on Blount's workload getting a reduction (although it should) Pederson has never used a bell cow. You can't assume a coach to change his ways his entire tenure unless there is some statement to make that assumption.

Ajayi should still be a great play going forward though. 

Edited by Dirtywater97
21 minutes ago, devaster said:

I don't think so. His role is going to further diminish as Ajayi's role increases.

i see what you mean here but i'd say we see Blounts role diminish a bit over Clements.  Clement has a bit more versatility to his game and i think Pederson likes that and wants to utilize that.  Ajayi/Blount, especially Blount don't offer much beyond grab the rock and plow it forward.  

Agreed he's not worth starting unless its a very deep Owners/roster league as a flyer flex play, but i also think he's hold in dynasty leagues right now.  I could see an Ajayi/Clement type combo next season and it could be a good one

3 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

i see what you mean here but i'd say we see Blounts role diminish a bit over Clements.  Clement has a bit more versatility to his game and i think Pederson likes that and wants to utilize that.  Ajayi/Blount, especially Blount don't offer much beyond grab the rock and plow it forward.  

Agreed he's not worth starting unless its a very deep Owners/roster league as a flyer flex play, but i also think he's hold in dynasty leagues right now.  I could see an Ajayi/Clement type combo next season and it could be a good one

I like him more than Pumphrey and Smallwood, but I never really considered him to be anything more than a change of pace or 3rd down back. He has that role now. But I can see Ajayi eating into 3rd down work as he gets more familiar with the offense. Ajayi is hardly seeing many snaps or touches right now, but has been extremely efficient. That is eventually going to lead to 5 touches or less for Clement weekly. I don't see his role having much longevity this season.

43 minutes ago, devaster said:

I like him more than Pumphrey and Smallwood, but I never really considered him to be anything more than a change of pace or 3rd down back. He has that role now. But I can see Ajayi eating into 3rd down work as he gets more familiar with the offense. Ajayi is hardly seeing many snaps or touches right now, but has been extremely efficient. That is eventually going to lead to 5 touches or less for Clement weekly. I don't see his role having much longevity this season.

that is exactly how i view him as well and my thoughts were more for next year.  Too many mouths and unknowns around the backfield as of today to sort through.  Maybe this offseason heading into 18' will bring a bit more clarity when a few guys get shipped off.  I think the only player safe is Ajayi this offseason though so time will tell who gets the complimentary role along side him next year

In a way I am starting to think the Eagles offense is very similar to the Patriots' in that they are very multiple. Maybe not as complex or intricate as the Pats' offense, but they have so many role players at each skill position and spread the ball around so much that it could become difficult to find a consistent producer in the offense outside of Wentz and maybe Ertz. Jeffrey seems to be somewhat consistent, but all the other role players siphon off a lot of potential points. Outside of those 3 I wouldn't give any of the others more than flex consideration with upside. 

Edited by pikerbkb

The bears are a tricky matchup most weeks. That said Philly is really firing on all cylinders. I could see CC picking up a ton of second half work...to the point where I might play him as my RB2 this week over the likes of Drake or Breida...

2 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

He has had two double digits games in standard scoring back to back and the coach uses him for the goal line Work.  What do you think ROS? Not to mention he is on one of the best offensive teams. 

I like him, but he seems like the the type of player that is always going to be "sneaky good" but never featured. Which is fine in an explosive offense that tends to scores a lot. 

As I alluded to earlier we have to think about the Eagles offense in a way similar to the Patriots offense. Multiple. Lots of skill players with different roles. Clement by most accounts is the best pass blocker of the RBs and has a great role as Wentz's bodyguard and as the preferred goalline back. I don't think Ajayi is going to take over and dominate the touches like a lot of people do. He's on the field as an explosive element to the offense. Blount bring sheer power. Barner and Smalls add that scat back element.

I think Clement will always be a good floor guy in ppr because of his passing down snaps with the potential to have a nice ceiling with occasional blowup games because of the goal line looks.

I am definitely going to hold him in dynasty to see how things play out. I'm not playing in any redrafts right now, but in that format I would look at the match ups. Avoid lower total games. The offense build to run through Wentz and the passing attack which will always benefit Clement's scoring opportunities.  

Thanks. It seems to me now that I lost DJ and Zeke that I have to accept these kind of guys. He does get double digit touches in some games but what appeals about him is the QUALITY of his touches. Goal line touches are yummy. He’s not playing this week because I like my Dion Lewis as my RB2, but he is right there with Booker fighting to get some playing time. Ha

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this guy supposed to be the Eagles best blocker out of the backfield?  Has Ajayi ever really looked that much better on the field than Clement has the past couple of games?  I never thought Ajayi was anything special.  Thought last year was somewhat of an aberration.  Not that Ajayi isn't a good RB.  He is.  But I don't know if he's THAT good that he would totally displace what Clement brings to the table.  If Clement is the superior blocker as I have heard and can produce rushing and catching as he has, why would they sit him for Ajayi?   

Also, Ajayi fragility and injury issues makes me think that he will never be a 25 to 30 attempt per game guy.  At worst I think Ajayi and Clement could form a 2 back committee ROS and even into next year.  Maybe Pumphrey eventually takes over 3rd down work when he returns next season.  But if Clement is the superior blocker and can catch out of the backfield, I don't see why they would.  

I don't think he will be the most consistent RB.  But I could definitely see him being part of a full time committee with Ajayi for the next few years in Philly. The NE comparison is probably apt as to how Philly might run their backfield.   Clement is a quality RB and he's been very underrated up until now.  The undrafted aspect went out the window when he started being productive IMO.  Similar to Peyton Barber in TB.  All though I think Barber might actually become the full time starter for TB.

If Clement can produce in tonights game I think that will answer a lot of questions and show more consistency.  If they drop his usage to near 0 though, that just wouldn't make any sense to me.   Really can't see them doing that.  And I think the fact that they would want to keep Ajayi healthy long term, just means more carries for Clement.  He will be a guy I target late next year in drafts if he keeps this up.

Edited by brakeyawself