Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nate Pearson - SP TOR


Recommended Posts

Zero incentive to call him up.  There would be a much better chance he finds himself shut down as he’s already blown away his previous innings total, which isn’t saying much.  I think they’d like to get him to 100 IP.

He is an interesting as hell case.  He’s only thrown 88.2 TOTAL professional innings, which would lead you to believe they want him to get stretched out much more before pushing him up ladder.  However, he’ll be 23 at the end of this month.  AND he has an extensive injury history, so there is tons of risk here.  However, I’m all in, and have been from day 1.  This is one of those guys we want to see right away, but definitely going to have to be patient

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 4:28 AM, MrMartyBarrett said:

Zero incentive to call him up.  There would be a much better chance he finds himself shut down as he’s already blown away his previous innings total, which isn’t saying much.  I think they’d like to get him to 100 IP.

He is an interesting as hell case.  He’s only thrown 88.2 TOTAL professional innings, which would lead you to believe they want him to get stretched out much more before pushing him up ladder.  However, he’ll be 23 at the end of this month.  AND he has an extensive injury history, so there is tons of risk here.  However, I’m all in, and have been from day 1.  This is one of those guys we want to see right away, but definitely going to have to be patient

I don't agree with the injury risk you are placing on him. He broke his elbow on a line drive. It was a fluke injury and he has demonstrated he is fully recovered from it. I think Nate carries as much injury risk as every hard throwing pitcher. He threw 101 innings combined in college/minors in 2017. He has the desired starting pitcher physical build. I don't think he is getting called up this year, but I do think they continue to stretch him out to end the year. If healthy I think we see him next year in Toronto. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I don't agree with the injury risk you are placing on him. He broke his elbow on a line drive. It was a fluke injury and he has demonstrated he is fully recovered from it. I think Nate carries as much injury risk as every hard throwing pitcher. He threw 101 innings combined in college/minors in 2017. He has the desired starting pitcher physical build. I don't think he is getting called up this year, but I do think they continue to stretch him out to end the year. If healthy I think we see him next year in Toronto. 

Injury risk is already having a screw in your elbow....nothing to do with that fluke injury last year

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, MrMartyBarrett said:

Injury risk is already having a screw in your elbow....nothing to do with that fluke injury last year

This is a legit question....what percentage of elbows with screws in them lead to more elbow injuries? Honestly, I don't know the answer because the broken elbow injury is an outlier. He is healthy to date throwing all of his pitches. If he goes down with TJ tomorrow I am not about to blame a screw in his elbow. The only additional risk he may carry with a screw in his elbow is a fracture and I do not know what the likelihood of that is, which is why I asked the question. Either way, our sample set is going to be super small to draw conclusions from. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Threw 101 pitches last night. 60 for strikes. 5.2 innings. 4 hits. 3 walks. 6 K's. 0 runs. Good to see the pitch count moving up. 101, 93, 81, 91, 74 are his pitch counts in his last 5 games while staying on a normal schedule pitching every 5th or 6th day. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Do we see him as a SP or RP when he gets the call in 2020.

I don't understand where you are coming from with this question. The only reason I can see him being a RP is to limit innings, but that type of prediction in August of 2019 is getting really cute and I don't see how it really changes anything. He could break camp with the Jays next year. He could get called up on the Vlad timeline or the Gallen timeline. Who knows. But for now he is a starter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 3:23 PM, ItsMeMario said:

Toronto future rotation is scary, based on potential

 

Yea Pearson looks like a good one, but what else do they really have? Reid-Foley was a top prospect, but has flamed so far, Kay is probably more a back end rotation piece. Thronton is ok, Wagespack and Pannone are meh. I do like Manoah, Woods-Richardson, and Pardinho, but man they are years and years away. 

Why should anyone fear these people? 

 

Edited by kwolf68
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

 

Yea Pearson looks like a good one, but what else do they really have? Reid-Foley was a top prospect, but has flamed so far, Kay is probably more a back end rotation piece. Thronton is ok, Wagespack and Pannone are meh. I do like Manoah, Woods-Richardson, and Pardinho, but man they are years and years away. 

Why should anyone fear these people? 

 

They have a lot of pitching depth in the minors, but we don't know how many will turn out yet.  Obviously Pearson (health permitting) is the most promising but a future rotation of a mix of Pearson, Manoah, Woods Richardson, Kloffenstein, Kay, Paradinho, Murphy, Williams sounds interesting

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
5 hours ago, svdude said:

Projection: 125 innings (22 starts), 9 W, 3.33 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 133 K

With Blue Jays looking to compete and spots up for grabs in the rotation, it sounds like there is a good chance Pearson can make an impact this year.

 

He should, I saw him pitch in Portland(AA) last year and his stuff was the best I've seen live

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

He should, I saw him pitch in Portland(AA) last year and his stuff was the best I've seen live

Thanks for that.  Love hearing the in-person accounts.

Reminds of watching Jo Adell in a game vs the Single A SJ Giants.  When he hit the ball it sounded different.  I think people that watch Minor League games regularly know when a player is special.  Sounds like Pearson might be on of those guys.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...