NBC Sports Edge Forums

14-T: Will this team compete?

To all reading, 

Leave a link and I'll help as many as I can leading up to kick-off.

Thank you and I wish your teams health and great success as we all embark on the road to the Fantasy Football Championship.

Is this team good enough to compete in a deep league?

Where can I improve?

What do you like?

Thoughts on specific player 2017 Outlook?

Any and all comments are appreciated and WHIR.

Pick 14 of 14 - .50 PPR

QB: Andrew Luck - Alex Smith

WR: Dez Bryant - Tyreek Hill - Donte Moncrief - Jordan Matthews - Josh Gordon - Tyler Lockett

RB: Todd Gurley - Ameer Abdullah - Jamaal Charles - Jeremy Hill 

FX: Paul Perkins

TE: Jason Witten

K: Brandon McManus

D: Pittsburgh

QB

Andrew Luck: Drafted in the 7/8 turn behind the likes of Cam, Carr, Mariota, Winston, Big Ben, Cousins, Cam, Prescott -- just a matter of time before he comes back with his new and improved shoulder. We will then see the best version of Andrew Luck. Hopefully happens real soon. Like Week 2?? 

Alex Smith: Hurricane Irma disrupted what was thought to be a one-week rented of Jay Cutler, which lead to one of my best fantasy management moves -- pairing Smith to the Tyreek Hill Combo. Worked out nicely to a combined 67.56pts to start the year. With the drafting of Mahomes, Smith had something to prove throughout the off-season and camp, and he clearly demonstrated that to open the season vs. New England. Eternally grateful to Alex Smith after this performance -- hopefully he can continue holding the fort will Luck is away.

WR

Dez Bryant: Drafted in the 1/2 turn, pick 14/15 -- no reason to think Dez isn't his dominate self this year. Year two with Dak. He rebounds to his 1300yd/10+TD level

Tyreek Hill: As someone who enjoyed Hill's rare talents off the waivers last year, I absolutely had to have him back. (especially with Maclin gone) -- as Tyreek demonstrated on Thursday Night and will continue to show throughout this upcoming monster year, he is one of the most electric and explosive players in the NFL -- while having the potential of taking any touch, from anywhere to the house in an instant. Top 10 year.

Donte Moncrief: Drafted both the Luck/Moncrief combo during the 7/8 turn -- was surprised he was there when I picked and thought the Luck combo/pick made too much sense for a WR3 so I went with it. Seems whenever Moncrief plays, he's scoring a TD. When Luck comes back he will be a nice WR to have. Really undervalued.

Jordan Matthews: Another drastically undervalued WR -- value plummeted after the trade to Buffalo, along with the injury. Real opportunity with his ADP. Yes they have Zay - a rookie - who will be a solid receiver himself, but the Bills went out to get Matthews after trading Watkins. He will get plenty of targets and redzone looks throughout the year, while pushing close to 1000yds. Solid WR3/4 with much more upside. Think he'll beat up on my NY Jets tomorrow.

Josh Gordon: Well worth the roster spot to see if the rumored reinstatement for Week 3 vs. the Colts are true. Game-changer if it is. Instantly becomes a WR2.

Tyler Lockett: Drafted him as a late-round flier his rookie year and he performed well enough that I missed him as an over-valued breakout pick last year -- now undervalued and back on the squad, healthy in year three, I think we finally see the explosive Tyler Lockett we got a glimpse of his rookie year. Great value pick for a WR5/6 with tremendous upside.

RB

Todd Gurley II: Drafted after all the Top RBs were gone at the 1/2 turn with Dez, pick 14/15 -- with the improved offensive line and weapons the Rams now have, I believe Gurley rebounds to look more like his rookie-year-self.  In PPR I can see him re-entering the Top 5 conversation.

Ameer Abdullah: Healthy, in year three, with the organization committed to him, I think this will be the year - especially in PPR - we see Ameer reach his vast potential. I'm not worried in the least about Riddick. 

Paul Perkins: Last year in RB desperation-mode I added Perkins -- after watching the way he ran, I knew he'd be back on my squad the second Rashad Jennings was gone...so here we are. Don't understand the lack of love for a RB who owns the Giants backfield, along with catches the ball? Don't want to hear about Shane Vereen or Darkwa -- this is Perkins backfield. Isn't that what every fantasy owner wants in an RB? He will be one of the steals of the draft when it's all done. 

Jamaal Charles: As we witnessed in preseason JC looks to be close to his former-self -- already said to likely split carries, I believe Charles will be playable in PPR, and if we really see the Jamaal Charles of old then he could hold the edge in carries over CJ Anderson. Great late-round value.

Jeremy Hill: Drafted in the 13th/14th turn after the likes of Alvin Kamara, Rex Burkhead, Gio, Charcandrick West, Marlin Mack, DeAndre Washington, Samaje Perine, Jonathan Williams -- had zero intentions of drafting Hill but couldn't pass up a "starting" RB that late. Mixon will get his share and eventually be the lead most likely, but Hill will continue to get his, along with the goal-lines. Actually tried to trade him to the Dixon owner for an upgrade somewhere else. No go. I'll take him as a RB5.

TE

Jason Witten: Didn't address TE until really late and ended up with Witten, and I'm okay with that -- believe he ups his numbers across the board in Dak's second year, especially the TD. Witten has plenty left in the tank and for where he's being drafted, I believe he proves to be a good investment -- going 6/74/1 in the 3rd Preseason Game may have hinted that Witten is ready to re-enter the Top 10 TEs.

K

Brandon McManus: I've been known to draft kickers in the thin air of Denver before. This is my 2nd time with McManus

D

Pittsburgh: For now. They have a good matchup vs. Cleveland tomorrow...will most likely be playing match-ups all year.

So overall thoughts? Can this team compete? 

Thank you all once again.

Good Luck to all!

Leave a link.

I think you can be good at WR. Dez and Hill. Not thrilled at QB as I'm worried about Luck and I don't see that Alex Smith all year. I'd try to move Perkins for a QB maybe with Smith. Not high on Perkins esp with the giants Oline. Is Matt Breida available on waivers? I like him

I specifically targeted and drafted Perkins...he's not going anywhere, especially for a QB when Luck will be coming back. Smith proved he can hold the fort until he does....and no Breida isn't available. Isn't he a handcuff for Hyde? Who would I drop and why would I for a handcuff?

Thanks for the input though.

15 minutes ago, Spina said:

To all reading, 

Leave a link and I'll help as many as I can leading up to kick-off.

Thank you and I wish your teams health and great success as we all embark on the road to the Fantasy Football Championship.

Is this team good enough to compete in a deep league?

Where can I improve?

What do you like?

Thoughts on specific player 2017 Outlook?

Any and all comments are appreciated and WHIR.

Pick 14 of 14 - .50 PPR

QB: Andrew Luck - Alex Smith

WR: Dez Bryant - Tyreek Hill - Donte Moncrief - Jordan Matthews - Josh Gordon - Tyler Lockett

RB: Todd Gurley - Ameer Abdullah - Jamaal Charles - Jeremy Hill 

FX: Paul Perkins

TE: Jason Witten

K: Brandon McManus

D: Pittsburgh

Thank you all once again.

Good Luck to all!

Leave a link.

Wow. Alex Smith play worked out great for you. Probably his best fantasy game in 5 years. Good job getting screwed on Cutler lol. 

Team is capable of competing in a 14 team league for sure. You've got weaknesses at RB and you know it I'm sure. I think Perkins sucks. I had him on my team and watched him play last year also and I came to a different conclusion from you I see, but that's fair. Everyone views things differently. I do believe vereen will be the fantasy relevant guy in that backfield, but we will see. 

I think you're going to be fine and agree with most of your assessments. 

I'm in a 14 x 17 leaguer myself and I got CJ fiedorowitz very late for TE position. He's someone you should monitor closely, cause I think there's a chance he will be available and I see a top 12 finish for him this year. 

Good luck. 

I would put Matthews in the flex for this weeks matchup. I would try to move Lockett, Perkins, or Smith for a possible QB or RB upgrade.  Lockett is solid if you get return yards other than that Russels volume goes to Baldwin and Graham. Not high on Perkins, and Alec Smith is well Alex Smith. 

2 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Wow. Alex Smith play worked out great for you. Probably his best fantasy game in 5 years. Good job getting screwed on Cutler lol. 

Team is capable of competing in a 14 team league for sure. You've got weaknesses at RB and you know it I'm sure. I think Perkins sucks. I had him on my team and watched him play last year also and I came to a different conclusion from you I see, but that's fair. Everyone views things differently. I do believe vereen will be the fantasy relevant guy in that backfield, but we will see. 

I think you're going to be fine and agree with most of your assessments. 

I'm in a 14 x 17 leaguer myself and I got CJ fiedorowitz very late for TE position. He's someone you should monitor closely, cause I think there's a chance he will be available and I see a top 12 finish for him this year. 

Good luck. 

Was looking at CJ to add. Just don't have the room.

3 minutes ago, Spina said:

Was looking at CJ to add. Just don't have the room.

Yeah, that's why I hate 16 player rosters. You're basically stuck for now. Jeremy Hill would be your most likely drop candidate IMO. but you will definitely need to hold him and see how he does for a few weeks before committing to that. And unfortunately by that time CJF cat will be out of the bag IMO. 

Hopefully luck comes back sooner than later and you can cut ties with Smith. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
3 minutes ago, Ant1080 said:

I would put Matthews in the flex for this weeks matchup. I would try to move Lockett, Perkins, or Smith for a possible QB or RB upgrade.  Lockett is solid if you get return yards other than that Russels volume goes to Baldwin and Graham. Not high on Perkins, and Alec Smith is well Alex Smith. 

Was debating Matthews/Moncried in my WR3 spot tomorrow. Feel pretty confident with Perkins as my Flex, and won't be trading anything for a QB when Luck will be back. I can wait another one to two weeks.

Just now, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Yeah, that's why I hate 16 player rosters. You're basically stuck for now. Jeremy Hill would be your most likely drop candidate IMO. but you will definitely need to hold him and see how he does for a few weeks before committing to that. And unfortunately by that time CJF cat will be out of the bag IMO. 

Believe he'll be gone after tomorrow's game.

There are 3 guys I like on your roster - Hill, Bryant, and Gurley.

Its going to be really interesting to see if Gurley can feast against Indy this week. If he doesn't then I would start to become very very concerned. This is probably one of the easiest matchups he could ask for.

Your running backs in general are risky to me. Ameer Abdullah is talented but the Lions still need to prove they can run the ball and Dullah needs to prove he can stay healthy. I don't like that Taylor Decker (Lions starting LT and first round pick last year) is injured either. That O-Line all of a sudden has holes in it again.

I really like Hill for obvious reasons that was a good pick.

Bryant is somewhat risky but I believe he will get back to his old ways this season barring injury. I believe in him more than most do.

Alex Smith is great for streaming and I am a fan of Luck even though a lot of people are down on him.

The two intriguing guys on your roster are Perkins and Moncrief. Perkins could be really bad but I could also see him surprising folks as well. Moncrief won't be good until Luck comes back but when he does he should be a weekly FLEX play at the very least.

Last but not least Pittsburgh defense may shock people this year and finish as a top 10. That is one of my bolder predictions but it is a thought I have.

3 hours ago, cousinal111 said:

Not bad considering 14 teams. Is Evan Engram available at TE? 

Engram is gone too. I'm fine rolling with Witten for now.

I love how you provided all relevant info and your thoughts; it's a big read, but interesting.
My .02$:
* you got the worst draft position, but I think you made the most of it. Your draft choices make sense.
* nevertheless, I think you won't be a top team yet (which is expected given the draft position).

Some smart moves are needed to get you in play-off shape. Given the thought-out post I don't expect any of my thoughts can help, but:
* I don't like your QB. You need reinforcement here.
* I really like your WRs, quality and depth.
* Your RBs are ok. The problem I see is how volatile RBs are (injuries, etc) so out of the 5 you have, 3 should probably survive, but it could be worse.
* 1 TE is shaky of course but I assume you will do some streaming here, which is fine, unless you manage to land a good one in a trade or a flier with a stroke of luck.

Given the above, I think the most can be gained on the QB position. Yes, Smith saved your week (well done that man) but that won't happen every week, so I would look to upgrade your QB position with one of the WRs.

Edited by Boudewijn