NBC Sports Edge Forums

Survivor Football 2017 Season Thread

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Baloo said:

So for those of us who are left...who are you guys taking this week?

I took WAS last week and barely hung on.  This week I'm eyeing the following:

TEN @ CLE

NO @ GB

PIT v. CIN

Probably in that order...

Buf, GB, Hou, Oak, Phi, Sea all used.

Leaning to NO this weekend. I tend to look at power rankings and try to pick a high team vs a low team. This one doesn't really qualify (NO is ranked around 12 and GB around 16). I just don't think that people are ranking GB properly. 3 picks. Lackluster running game. NO defense has been coming on strong recently as well.

With Elliot playing this week, I'm considering Dal @ SF.  The only other week I can confidently pick them the rest of the way is against SD. If Elliot gets suspended again, I don't think  I'd ever take them.  Otherwise, I'm thinking Tenn. 

Edited by Fat Clemenza

I went with the Carolina Panthers against the Bears. Panthers are on extra 3 days rest after a Thursday night game, have a great defense and a far better offense than the Ravens do. Panthers have played tough with some of their opponents. I like them over the other picks. Trubisky only completed 8 passes last Sunday. How much can you rely on your ST and Jordan Howard to win against better opponents?

I Think Dallas is headed straight into a trap game against the 49ERS. Tennessee on the road with a backup QB doesn't inspire confidence against the Browns, as pitiful as they are. And the saints got whipped when they played the Vikings on the road...so I'd rather save them for a game at home in the dome go win, considering they play the bears next week. And while Pittsburgh is at home, its a divisional game and they're always good for hijinks and upsets so I'll pass on them.

37 minutes ago, Baloo said:

I went with the Carolina Panthers against the Bears. Panthers are on extra 3 days rest after a Thursday night game, have a great defense and a far better offense than the Ravens do. Panthers have played tough with some of their opponents. I like them over the other picks. Trubisky only completed 8 passes last Sunday. How much can you rely on your ST and Jordan Howard to win against better opponents?

I Think Dallas is headed straight into a trap game against the 49ERS. Tennessee on the road with a backup QB doesn't inspire confidence against the Browns, as pitiful as they are. And the saints got whipped when they played the Vikings on the road...so I'd rather save them for a game at home in the dome go win, considering they play the bears next week. And while Pittsburgh is at home, its a divisional game and they're always good for hijinks and upsets so I'll pass on them.

Tennessee isn't on the road with a backup QB though. Mariota isn't even on the injury report. 

This is a tricky week this week.  I'm considering Minnesota vs Baltimore, Tennessee at Cleveland and Carolina at Chicago.  I don't really like taking teams on the road.  Benjamin missed another day of practice and Chicago has been suprisingly tough at home this year beating Pitt and should have beaten Atlanta, and coming off a win vs Baltimore.  I'd like to take Tennessee but have bad feelings.  Tennessee's defense is atrocious.  Mariotta can't run right now.  The game is at Cleveland.  Tennessee barely beat Cleveland last year at home.  Cleveland has a good run defense.  I'd expect the Titans to win but wouldn't be surprised if the Browns pulled off an upset.  Which leaves Minnesota.  Baltimore's offense is playing horribly.  They are 3-3, but 1-3 in last 4 games and just lost at home to Bears when they didn't even score one offensive TD.  Minnesota's Defense is great and should shut down Baltimore.  Vikings just need to scrape together enough points to win.  Playing at home in the dome, they should bring home the win.  

9 hours ago, MistisoMan said:

If 2 games were similarly matched, would you rather play a team on the road or play a divisional opponent?

I don't mind picking a road team. The advantage of teams on the road is not that great, unless its a West Coast travelling to the East Coast for a 1PM, or a TNF game. I cant remember if it was in this thread or the Week 1 thread on this forum, but I read something where over the last few years, home teams won 58% of the games...not a gigantic advantage that some make it out to be.

I am not a fan of picking divisional games, unless its something like Steelers over the Browns or Patriots who have dominated their divisional opponents over the last decade. I would like to see the win rate for underdogs in divisional games.

Also a fun stat from last month in the NFL:

Underdogs went 30-28 outright.

As a jets fan, I really want to take the dolphins this week. 

Jets embarrassed them in New York a few weeks ago, so their is a revenge factor. And we all know how hard it is to sweep the divisional games.

And also I feel like the jets are going to start trending downwards to a level where we all thought they would be before the season. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by Dixxon
28 minutes ago, MaXLacker said:

My most likely pick is

MIN over BAL

I like BUF over TB also but not with as much confidence.

Call me crazy but I feel like NO/GB and DAL/SF are trap games. I think these games will be closer than expected with upset possibilities.

Agreed on Dallas and New Orleans. I hope others take those games. 

With the Vikings,  I just never trust that team. They win when they shouldn't and lose when they should win. And it feels like teams off byes aren't doing well this year so idk about buffalo.

2 hours ago, Dixxon said:

Agreed on Dallas and New Orleans. I hope others take those games. 

With the Vikings,  I just never trust that team. They win when they shouldn't and lose when they should win. And it feels like teams off byes aren't doing well this year so idk about buffalo.

I went with Buffalo. My gut said to trust that offense off the bye this week. Good luck to everyone who's left! My pool is down to 11 people out of 60.

I'm surprised at all the Minnesota picks.  I get picking a team at home, but this is a team with Case Keenum as QB and Stefan Diggs now ruled out.  I think everybody is on the "Baltimore offense stinks" mindset but I still wouldn't want to have my hopes ride on the arm of Case Keenum.

I'm scrapping everything I've said this week here and on Reddit. Going with Titans. Just the better team. Cleveland is bad. And looks like they're going to be without their top 2 WR. Horrible running game. Best player on the teams is their rookie first round pick. And Mariota is a genius at avoiding the pass rush.

I'm passing on Philly this week and going with the Saints at home over the Bears.Looking ahead (if I make it) probably have to use Philly hosting the Broncos or Bears as those weeks are bad for me based on the teams I've already used.