NBC Sports Edge Forums

Survivor Football 2017 Season Thread

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

See that was too cute and your lucky they pulled it off.

I think for the most part you should be looking for that obvious favorite every week, and only risk it on a lesser team if they are at home against a total toilet bowl squad like the browns.

Things change down the line. Teams deal with injures and players don't produce and what seems like a bad matchup today could be a cupcake down the road. Case in point might be the phins. 

Tell that to the people who picked NE, ATL, or DAL this week? How was it too cute if they won, especially when a lot of even bigger favorites straight up lost

1 minute ago, atrium said:

Tell that to the people who picked NE, ATL, or DAL this week? How was it too cute if they won, especially when a lot of even bigger favorites straight up lost

Dallas was by no means a safe choice rams are a good team. Atl and NE were big upsets yes but the safest play if you had it was Seattle. Poor opponent on the road 

2 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

Dallas was by no means a safe choice rams are a good team. Atl and NE were big upsets yes but the safest play if you had it was Seattle. Poor opponent on the road 

The Packers were the safest play in Week 4 IMO

4 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

And I maintain that the safest play isn't always safe, and if you only ever pick the safest play, you'll find yourself picking between crap and s--- in week 12. Sometimes the safe play is such a slam dunk that I can't pass it up (Oakland week 2 being a good example), but planning for the future is a part of Survival Football.

I ended up going Seattle, but I understand why people would've picked Arizona. And those people aren't any more "lucky" than the people who picked NE or GB in week 3. They survived. This game is 90% luck anyways.

Edited by atrium

It's suvivor. You could worry about week 12 or worry about surviving this week. Yes there are times to take advantage of a perceived crappy team in a great situation like the rams agains a luckless colts week 1. But niners cards was almost a toss up in my eyes. Hawks at home against those same colts was easy money.

3 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

It's suvivor. You could worry about week 12 or worry about surviving this week.

I worry about both and try to find a balance between the two.

Who do you like week 5?

5 minutes ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

Pitt and if they are unavailable Detroit hosting Carolina 

You're gonna pick against Carolina the week after they beat the Pats in Foxborough and Cam looked like his old self?

Edited by atrium

Does Philly have trap game potential? At home, Eagles looked good albeit close games, Arizona has looked just ok.

Initial thought was Detroit. Yes the Panthers went off, but their secondary isn't that good (especially with Coleman hurt) versus Detroit's passing offense, and Detroit has a strong pass rush which Cam typically struggles against. And Detroit would be indoors.

4 hours ago, Kempimus Prime said:

Does Philly have trap game potential? At home, Eagles looked good albeit close games, Arizona has looked just ok.

Initial thought was Detroit. Yes the Panthers went off, but their secondary isn't that good (especially with Coleman hurt) versus Detroit's passing offense, and Detroit has a strong pass rush which Cam typically struggles against. And Detroit would be indoors.

The Philly/Ari spread really surprises me....expect that line to tighten up as we get closer to Sunday.

If Phillies secondary continues to be banged up I don't see how Philly gets any more than 3 points.

19 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

See that was too cute and your lucky they pulled it off.

I think for the most part you should be looking for that obvious favorite every week, and only risk it on a lesser team if they are at home against a total toilet bowl squad like the browns.

Things change down the line. Teams deal with injures and players don't produce and what seems like a bad matchup today could be a cupcake down the road. Case in point might be the phins. 

12 hours ago, atrium said:

12 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

I don't see how I get criticized for picking a winning team.  Arizona was favored to win, they got lucky, yes, but they still WON.  How is it "cute" that I picked Arizona to win at home against SF?  Since when did SF become a powerhouse team?  Oh, because they scored a bunch of points on the Rams the week before?  New England and Green Bay needed last minute heroics last week to win.  Was that "cute" of those owners to pick them last week?  Arizona also has very little future play.  So in my opinion, I think it was a GREAT pick, not "cute". I completely don't understand your argument.

You pick the safe play every week, it basically means you are picking what everybody else picks.  Not the way to win a Survivor pool, but I think you probably know that.

Edited by CooL

Like I said I don't pick the safest pick of the week. There are optimal times like going up against the really bad teams like the colts or browns when I pick a lesser team, like Seattle this week and the rams week 1.

Just felt like the niners didn't fit into that category of team here. They played both the rams and hawks down to the wire and could easily be 3-1 right now. 

5 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

Like I said I don't pick the safest pick of the week. There are optimal times like going up against the really bad teams like the colts or browns when I pick a lesser team, like Seattle this week and the rams week 1.

Just felt like the niners didn't fit into that category of team here. They played both the rams and hawks down to the wire and could easily be 3-1 right now. 

So basically you take the chalk pick every week...