Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Robert Covington 2017-2018 season outlook


Crazycanto
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, imaginarykid said:

there’s so many things wrong with your logic and fantasy probably isn’t your type of game, it’s safe to say you won’t win a anything anytime soon

 

I'm not gonna lie, there's some really poor persuasion methods in here as to why Covington is a solid player but one thing you haven't explained is why you think he's not of any value as a trade piece. I understand if he doesn't fit your build for whatever reason but how can you argue that 2 threes, ~1.5 steals, ~1 block, 5-6 boards and decent ft% value is outright unrosterable? I think you even admitted earlier that he holds value in a punt fg%/TOs.

Edited by Sarcastic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you really don't like him, package him with a top tier player to try to get a slightly better top tier player. You gain nothing by dropping and picking up scraps off the wire, assuming that is what is left like my 10 team league. Maybe something like Middleton/Covington for Oladipo.

Edited by Agmaniacmike
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People who don't see the value in Covington are likely new to fantasy basketball or are very short sighted. They look at a guy like DeRozan and would rather have him because of his gaudy offensive numbers. Trust me I was one of those guys until I researched stats, team builds, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's a unique player. We've seen him in great form for at least 2 significant periods of time over the last 2 seasons. I definitely understand the frustration, but PFs that can hit 3 3s, shoot 80+% from the line, get 2 steals and 1 block a game don't grow on trees.

 

If he gets back to early season form, dropping him will be a regrettable decision. I kind of wonder about the correlation between him and Simmons.

Their "slumps" seem to be congruent, although Covington biggest issue right now seems to be confidence. He disappears for large stretches of the game and you barely notice his present.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, imaginarykid said:

there’s so many things wrong with your logic and fantasy probably isn’t your type of game, it’s safe to say you won’t win a anything anytime soon

 

Howard's FT% z-score:      - 5.29   !!!

Covingtons FG% z-score:  - 0.96   (not great but better than the likes of Porzingis, Schroder, Wall, Lowry, Rubio) so it can be managed.

 

This means that Howard's FT% hit is 5.5x more harmful than Covington's FG%.  In a standard league without punting FT, Howard does more harm than help and is un-rosterable in roto formats.  

 

I guess most of this is your fault.  You drafted Covington and should have known his FG% would be an issue.  His FG% z-score last year was -1.39 and -1.47 the previous year so he's actually improved a ton in terms of FG%. He has done EXACTLY what owners drafted him for.  Someone in your league with that #1 Waiver spot is probably dancing around the room knowing he's getting a top-50 player for free.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, anyone that drops him is making a moronic move. Regardless of his poor FG%, just try to find someone else or some other way via trade to balance it out if you are suffering in that catergory.  He is the ultimate 3 and D guy and cannot be replicated with anyone on the WW.

 

If I had him, I would exhaust all other options besides dropping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, imaginarykid said:

there’s so many things wrong with your logic and fantasy probably isn’t your type of game, it’s safe to say you won’t win a anything anytime soon

 

You seem very defensive, why did you even come on here to post if you aren't going to listen to anyone's advice? Doesn't it tell you something when literally 100% of the people responding to you tell you are making a terrible move?  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Honestly, anyone that drops him is making a moronic move. Regardless of his poor FG%, just try to find someone else or some other way via trade to balance it out if you are suffering in that catergory.  He is the ultimate 3 and D guy and cannot be replicated with anyone on the WW.

 

If I had him, I would exhaust all other options besides dropping.

i just traded dinwiddie for him. lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mentioned his development over the last weeks /month in a post some days ago. But it is not even that the stats not working. If you see him and Philly play, it is hard to be convinced that he will turn into a top 50 player. He is the most passive part  in the Sixers game. Everybody is clearly eating before him from the starting five. He's just camping in the corner and can watch Embiid and Simmons racking up the points.

 

Dropping is too harsh imo. But I will try to find a good trade value for him now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dorwell said:

I mentioned his development over the last weeks /month in a post some days ago. But it is not even that the stats not working. If you see him and Philly play, it is hard to be convinced that he will turn into a top 50 player. He is the most passive part  in the Sixers game. Everybody is clearly eating before him from the starting five. He's just camping in the corner and can watch Embiid and Simmons racking up the points.

 

Dropping is too harsh imo. But I will try to find a good trade value for him now.

 

Yeah, as badly as it looks watching the games, you have to remember that this exact same thing happened at the beginning of last year and he snapped out of it.

 

This past month he was attempting just 8.3 FGA per game—which is the lowest it's been in the past two seasons. Previous two months of this year he was at 11.6 FGA each. Last year in November he took just 9.1 FGA, then ramped up each subsequent month and was taking upwards of 12 per game post ASB.

 

I know that Ben Simmons is in the fold now and taking up usage, but he was there to start the year too. Nothing is different situationally for the 76ers now than it was to start the year, except Covington got paid. Regardless, I don't think he's just gonna settle in like this. I think it's just a matter of confidence, and eventually he'll swing back around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, prinserj21 said:

I really hope Reddick gets hurt again...

Aw come on, don't with injury on people, we've just lost two All Stars! Bad karma.

He'll pick it up, they're going for the playoffs, they need his contribution on both sides of the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, CFN said:

 

 

I know that Ben Simmons is in the fold now and taking up usage, but he was there to start the year too. Nothing is different situationally for the 76ers now than it was to start the year, except Covington got paid. Regardless, I don't think he's just gonna settle in like this. I think it's just a matter of confidence, and eventually he'll swing back around.

 

Embiid may be the key figure here. Was hurt last season and started with minutes restrictions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dorwell said:

 

Embiid may be the key figure here. Was hurt last season and started with minutes restrictions. 

 

Embiid was there at the beginning of this year when RoboCov was tearing it up, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2018-02-01 at 7:21 AM, dorwell said:

I mentioned his development over the last weeks /month in a post some days ago. But it is not even that the stats not working. If you see him and Philly play, it is hard to be convinced that he will turn into a top 50 player. He is the most passive part  in the Sixers game. Everybody is clearly eating before him from the starting five. He's just camping in the corner and can watch Embiid and Simmons racking up the points.

 

Dropping is too harsh imo. But I will try to find a good trade value for him now.

 finally someone who actually watches games and understands fanatsy isn’t just about yahoo rankings. all the other fools are just obsessed with his current rankings and tries to justify it by focusing on “last year” nonsense. Did the sixers have embiid, simmons and redick (avg 20 ppg now) last year???  it’s almost comical to a fault. you could argue he was on fire at the start of the year with them other guys in the lineup, but his usage rate has been dropped to the ground, kind of like how andre robertson was utilized.

based on how he’s playing right now and over the past month.. it’s hard to find any takers in a competitive league.

Edited by imaginarykid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

Philly, ship this dude to a clustered, unfavorable situation so that I can move on from him without shame.

just drop this guy and pickup a hot FA, trust me, with all the trades happening now in the NBA last thing you want is to hold onto this bum and misses out on a breakout game changer player 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...