NBC Sports Edge Forums

Head 2 head playoff updates.

This is going to come across super whiney, but whatever...

So I won the regular season by a huge margin... I ended up in 1st by nearly 30 games, and I only lost two weeks. As far as categories go, I won pretty well all of the offensive and pitching categories when I look at the totals.

Last week were the semi-finals and I lost. The guy I went against streamed 5 pitchers and beat me that way. It really sucks, especially when one week decides a season. I think I'll try my luck in roto next season.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

So I won the regular season by a huge margin... I ended up in 1st by nearly 30 games, and I only lost two weeks. As far as categories go, I won pretty well all of the offensive and pitching categories when I look at the totals.

Last week were the semi-finals and I lost. The guy I went against streamed 5 pitchers and beat me that way. It really sucks, especially when one week decides a season. I think I'll try my luck in roto next season.

Our league is h2h but has a payout for the regular season roto winner. Keeps each week interesting while still rewarding the season long "best team". works for us at least. 

4 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Down 5-6 with runs tied. We both have four players left so if I score 1 more run then he does we tie 6-6 and I have the tiebreaker. 

With Bregman playing tonight if he scores one run on to the championship. Have that kind of stress in Roto ?

Kluber making sure I closed out the pitching cats I was winning and on to the championship.  Gonna be a 1v2 seed matchup.  I finished the season as the 1 seed but unfortunately the 2 seed has been lights out over the last few weeks.

God I gotta vent...   because Corey Spangenburg couldn't hold on to a fly ball with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th inning with a runner on 1st (who scored from 1st) I missed out on a trip to the 'ship.  

This gave the rockies a 4 run lead and prevented Greg Holland from having a save opportunity in the bottom of the 9th, in which he went 1-2-3.  

I lost 5-5 in the semi-finals on the second tie-breaker and would have won 5-4-1 if Holland had gotten the save.

fml

... I will have one team in the ship and 1 team in the 3rd place match (this one) next week but god I wanted two in the ship

Edited by LJJr
2 hours ago, STLSU said:

4th in ESPN... up 319-295 in CBS finals!  have Altuve and Simmons vs. Correa.

welp apparently the H2H tiebreaker is H2H record rather than best overall....so I win 3rd place in ESPN.  Was trying to congratulate my opponent on his win...

fingers crossed that i dont lose avg with changed hits to errors/ errors to hits

up 8 pts in avg (and sat trout, bregman, altuve)

made it to finals without much help from trout, arenado, seager, and rizzo (would love to send lance lynn a fruit basket or at least some cookies)

5/6 in championship week

Edited by colepenhagen

Won my league.  Started out in last place going 0-7 in the first week to my friend at work and was last place until around week 4.   I scratched and clawed and beat my coworker 12 team H2H league for the championship.  Earned a couple free lunches along the way.  Now I get to shake my tail feather at work tomorrow and collect my winnings!

8 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I ran into this steaming problem this week. I had the superior pitching staff but still felt compelled to stream myself to match the other guy who was going to try to compile wins in Strikeouts, Wins and Quality Starts. That's kind of what you have to do unfortunately unless your league institutes a rule against streaming in the playoffs or institutes a move limit for the playoffs with injury exceptions. You do have to stoop to the level of the steamer and really look days ahead and try to pick up the better streamer and leave your opponent with worse streamers. You want to target guys who can go 6 innings and has strikeout potential, otherwise there is no upside to taking the risk on the steamer. I picked up steamers for today, but kept them on my bench, as I picked them up purely to block my opponent from picking them up. 

Know one cares but here goes. I won my money keeper H2H league for the 2nd year in a row that has been running for 13 years. We end a week early to avoid all the weird resting of pitchers that go on in the last week. It's my 6th championship, and I am a 4-time runner up, so that means I have either won or been runner-up in 10 of the 13 seasons of my league. Maybe I need better competition or maybe I am just good.

My roster before I cannibalized it for streamers and hot hitters is listed below. They carried me this season to a dominating regular season 1st place finish and to the Championship. In the last week I switched out Moustakas for Jose Reyes, and his stolen bases this week were critical. Various guys carried my team throughout the season, but the MVP obviously is Judge, who was a 20th round pick. He slumped hard after the ASB, but turned in on again in September, when it really mattered (in real life and fantasy). Pham, Andrus, Smoak and Hoskins were waiver gems. My strategy of keeping all batters let me stock up on aces in the early rounds of my live draft allowing me to snag both Scherzer and Kluber, who luckily both ended up pitching today and solidified my pitching categories. Waiver gems on the pitching side were Godley, Alex Wood, Luke Weaver and Corey Knebel. Man, Jon Gray really turned it on in the last month. I guess it was worth the wait.

Thanks for all the great discussion on these message boards throughout the season, great job and good luck if your league is still going.

12-team H2H $$ Main Keeper League (5 Keepers From Round Taken or Assigned Round for Waiver Pickups, 3-Year Max Keeper) (13th year in existence, 5-time Champion, 4-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Wilson Ramos

1B-Justin Smoak

2B-Matt Carpenter

3B-Mike Moustakas

SS-Carlos Correa (16)

IF-Rhys Hoskins

LF-Tommy Pham

CF-Andrew Benintendi (18)

RF-Mookie Betts (16)

OF-Aaron Judge

UTIL-Elvis Andrus

SP-Max Scherzer, Corey Kluber, Zach Godley, Jon Lester, Alex Wood, Jeff Samardzija, Jose Berrios, Jon Gray, Luke Weaver

RP-Kenley Jansen, Corey Knebel, Edwin Diaz, Hector Neris, Chris Devenski, Tommy Kahnle, Carl Edwards, Jr.

10 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

But h2h mirrors real playoff baseball perfectly in that aspect.  Yeah it sucks after spending a half year at it but it hurts more for the real teams I think. 

I play in two h2h and two roto.  Roto may be easier but h2h helps turn you gray before your time, hah.  Both have their pros and cons but roto never gives me an absolute adrenaline rush.  Nor depletes my cell phone battery like h2h did today checking the Yahoo app.  Roto is fun in  a way but doesn't get you pacing the floor the last couple of the weeks of the season like h2h.

I feel for you but I've had teams in the past that collectively developed termites in their bats during playoffs and where half my starters were being skipped and the ones that do start explode on me.  It happens.  You are not alone.

I was way behind immediately because of Lester blowing up this past Monday in one of my leagues.  I just knew then I had to go stream pitchers for all 6 moves this week to try and compensate and it worked.  But the streamers could have dug me a deeper hole too.  There are risks both ways.  And I had to drop a couple of valuable bats in that dynasty league to do it but oh well.  It worked in the end though it came down to tonight and an ace (see below).  But sometimes it doesn't work.  I've come in first in some leagues in the past and been cut down by a buzzsaw team on a roll and totally massacred in the process.  So you are not alone.  Happens to us all.

Meanwhile, I would like to personally thank Corey Kluber -- and his mother if she still looks in here -- for being the final deciding factor in both winning my 16 team dynasty league and sending me into the finals in my 14 team dynasty that Jon Lester was busy sabotaging this past Monday.  Mr Kluber, live long and prosper ... and pitch another gem this coming week please.

PS:  And Lester, you are benched for this Monday's start.  And given you will turn 34 before the start of next season you may well be more than benched this week.  Mess up one more start and your time in my dynasty league may be ending.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
48 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

So uh, I won my league. 

But Im 0-3 in my main football league...

Thought I'd be happy but Im not...

Football fantasy is just a luck driven lottery ticket crap shoot.  Endless injuries, no control over whether your RBs or WRs or TE get thrown to etc.  Not like fantasy baseball where your hitters that are playing that day actually get to hit and your starters get to throw the baseball.  So you should be happy because you won the fantasy sports game that takes some actual skill at times.

In the finals with  a YahooPro League with a team that out of my 25 original draft choices only 6 are still on the team. Dee Gordon, Benintendi, Goldschmidt, Pollock, Jansen, and Paxson. The team came in 2nd during the regular season.

Overall still have 10/12 still playing this week though of the 10 only 4 are going for championships. Next year less leagues as feeling burned out big time.

Good luck to all that are still playing. Been a fun year. A special recognition to Wily Mo who brought the less known players to my attention before the season started and a few during the season. 

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But h2h mirrors real playoff baseball perfectly in that aspect.  Yeah it sucks after spending a half year at it but it hurts more for the real teams I think. 

I play in two h2h and two roto.  Roto may be easier but h2h helps turn you gray before your time, hah.  Both have their pros and cons but roto never gives me an absolute adrenaline rush.  Nor depletes my cell phone battery like h2h did today checking the Yahoo app.  Roto is fun in  a way but doesn't get you pacing the floor the last couple of the weeks of the season like h2h.

I feel for you but I've had teams in the past that collectively developed termites in their bats during playoffs and where half my starters were being skipped and the ones that do start explode on me.  It happens.  You are not alone.

I was way behind immediately because of Lester blowing up this past Monday in one of my leagues.  I just knew then I had to go stream pitchers for all 6 moves this week to try and compensate and it worked.  But the streamers could have dug me a deeper hole too.  There are risks both ways.  And I had to drop a couple of valuable bats in that dynasty league to do it but oh well.  It worked in the end though it came down to tonight and an ace (see below).  But sometimes it doesn't work.  I've come in first in some leagues in the past and been cut down by a buzzsaw team on a roll and totally massacred in the process.  So you are not alone.  Happens to us all.

Yeah, I understand... but I'm not playing real baseball. This is my 4th or 5th year and I've finished 1st three times in a row with no championship. Lammmmme.