NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Campanaro 2017 Season Outlook

Anything to see here in PPR leagues? 

Joe Flacco mentioned Michael Campanaro as someone who could step up and fill the void created by Danny Woodhead.

"Campanaro is one of those quick little guys that can do stuff on the side," Flacco said. It's an out-of-the-box suggestion, but the quarterback would seem to have a good idea of the team's thought process. Campanaro is a 5'9/191 slot receiver who has struggled to get on the field since being a 2014 seventh-rounder. The Ravens clearly like him since they've kept Campanaro around this long as a punt returner and part-time receiver. He has a similar build to 5'8/201 Woodhead and played running back in high school. Buck Allen is the favorite, but he was a 2016 outsider. Campanaro could very easily get increased looks

I'm watching closely in a 14 team PPR league that also counts return yards. He might not be the sexiest name out there, but Baltimore's skill position players are a couple of JAG RBs, and some WRs and TEs that are extremely injury-prone or inconsistent. The fact that he's stuck around since being drafted in the 7th round of 2014 means that the coaching staff must trust him. Stranger things have happened...

I'm keeping my eye on him. He's a dynamic athlete, and maybe this is the way they unlock him. Playing WRs at RB is a burgeoning trend in the NFL that I could see catching on, or the Ravens at least giving it a shot. 

He's not completely lost carrying the ball either. Last season in 3 active games he had 3 carries for 72 yards. in 2015 he had this TD run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etUrOJ1X9Cg

I'm not picking him up yet but I'm watching closely. He's a more dynamic player than Buck Allen. 

Campanaro is one of those quick little guys that can do stuff on the side," Flacco said. It's an out-of-the-box suggestion, but the quarterback would seem to have a good idea of the team's thought process.

As a Woodhead owner in a very deep 12 man league with first come first served waivers I added him.It's definitely an out of the box move but one I'll use since our first 7 transactions are included in our league fee.Who knows maybe he's the next Ty Montgomery. ;)

Didn't get to see the game, but it looks like week one was a wash for all Ravens' receivers due to game flow.  With Boyle, Watson, and Williams each getting one target, the tight end usage is yet to be decided.  Perhaps Campanaro can get some of that underneath work as well.

Long shot, but I love long shots.  Good call!

Edited by dogfightgiggle
  • 1 month later...