NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017-2018 Official Punting Thread

For the advocates of punting, would appreciate all your insight in preparation for our drafts. The season is just one month away and sharing punting strategies with seasoned posters is one of the best ways to prepare accordingly.

I believe that first and foremost and believe that most will agree, that you shouldn't have a predetermined cat to punt coming into the draft. The safest way is to go BPA for the first two rounds and determine which cat is the best to punt from there. A few years back I was so intent and excited with the punt FT% build (first time to punt) and I picked Drummond as my first round pick (yes, massive LOL) and Jordan with the second and it unintentionally turned into a double punt with PTS. Needless to say I didn't win that league - did overachieve and reached the semis though, that was Draymond Green's mini breakout year. 

There also specific punting strategies that are easier to pull off such as  punting assists or punting FT% while others are tricky and will cost you big time if you happen to neglect a particular cat during the draft - such as points in which you really have to watch your %s or you're screwed. 

Here are the players that I think would be ideal fits for a specific punting strategy if you are able to pick an excellent complement in the second:

Giannis/Lebron/Cousins, punt FT% - haven't punted FT% in a long time but these three make for sensational building blocks for the strategy. Pairing Lebron or Cousins with Dray is particularly nasty which will leave you set in a multitude of categories already after the first two rounds, just make sure you watch the TOs. Whiteside is also another strong pairing in the second round but I would rather have Dray's versatility and just target Deandre/Drummond/Capela in the 3rd round and beyond. Gobert I believe will be a beast this year but he is ranked too high. Pairing Gobert with Dray is acceptable but you will be behind in points right off the bat and will have to play catchup so more often than not you will also be punting points in addition to FT%. 

For Giannis since you will be picking him most likely with a top 5 pick, Dray won't probably be there in the second. I'm looking to secure one of Deandre or Drummond and then go with Dragic (wont hurt you anywhere) or Blake (if you feel like gambling with his health) with your 2nd and 3rd round picks. You should then be in good shape with FG%, REB, PTS, BLKS, ASTS, TOs and STLs. 3s can be easily acquired later on in the draft. 

Further down the draft I'm targeting upside players like Simmons/Ball/Fultz, Elfrid Payton if you are starving for assists (underrated trip dub alert), Nerlens Noel for stocks, Randle for rebounds and a sprinkle of assists, etc. 1/1/1 studs such as James Johnson, Josh Richardson (exploded on the last month of the season last year, hopefully he will have big minutes), Taurean Prince, Mo Harkless and others. Thad Young is a nice fit as well if you need a player who steals but shoots a high FG%. Richaun Holmes as a late flier big man. I'd also take high FT% guys as punting is not about just taking guys who are bad in the category you are punting. First player that comes to mind is Gary Harris, that efficiency coupled with upside is something I'd want on my punt FT% team. Seth Curry is also a nice target due to his efficiency.  

Would tackle punting assists at a later time as I feel everyone knows the guys for that build. Kawhi, KAT, Brow and KD are the no brainer foundations for that build. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

I believe that first and foremost and believe that most will agree, that you shouldn't have a predetermined cat to punt coming into the draft. The safest way is to go BPA for the first two rounds and determine which cat is the best to punt from there.

Finally! Absolutely true, it can't be otherwise. I have been always surprised, that here many people are talking to plan punt before draft begins.

Edited by apatas

I think I can't punt any counting categories, because I don't see any sense of punting stocks or threes and because of my own rule I never ever punt points or assists - not today, tomorrow or after 5 years. Even if I draft Draymond Green, I don't punt points. But for the same reason I try to avoid Gobert.

In 9 cat I typically punt assists but obviously depends on where i pick and whos available. Last year in one league I started leaning towards punt assists and saw Rubio in rnd 4. He was best player available but I opted to stay with punt assists, 16 or so picks later Rubio was still there in rnd 5 and was a easy pick and now I was punting nothing. 

24 minutes ago, flippy said:

is curry still an elite punt FT option?  inadvertently made a punt FT team him as a centerpiece.

Yeah because he provides pts and especially 3's that are hard to come by in a punt ft. Last time I punted ft it also turned into a punt 3's.

The most important thing to do when punting a category is to identify how you are actually going to WIN categories.  For example, you know if you go with any of the punt FT% big men that you are probably going to win FG%, REB, BLK and lose FT%.  So what you really need to focus on is winning points, threes, assists, steals.  I see all too often teams with Deandre Jordan AND Drummond AND Howard who overdraft rebounds by quite a large margin and don't end up hitting their targets in other areas.  So Curry does make an excellent punt FT% target as he is excellent in all of the categories you typically lack in that build and he's not such a high volume FT% shooter that you are destroying his value when you punt FT%.  Another good one for punt FT% is CP3.

26 minutes ago, flippy said:

thanks all for the input.  drummond and capela enough to bouy my big man stats?  unfortunately missed out on jordan.

Capela could have a better year than DJ as he is younger and now has CP3 passing to him.  He will be recovered from injury and is playing on one of the fastest teams in the league.  Take their stats from last year and just swap them.

I'm not a big fan of Drummond.  When punting FT% I want to be certain I correspondingly win in FG% and Drummond doesn't do that.  He also doesn't get many blocks for a big man, although he led centers in steals.  He can be great if you already have DJ bc he's one of the rare big men that helps win in steals but I wouldn't move into punt FT% specifically for him.  The other problem with him is that he was the worst for FT% impact in the NBA.  If you have him and someone else has DJ they will beat you in FT%.  Finally, SVG doesn't really trust Drummond, and is looking to give Boban more minutes.  It could turn into a timeshare. 

With Capela and Drummond you will be crushing rebounds.  However, you will be tanking FT% and may not finish first in FG% or blocks. 

The strategy that I've been working on is a punt FT build that still leaves me competitive across the non-BIG man stats. Based on how my league picks I should be able to pull off a lineup like this:

1/Jokic

2/CP3

3/Drummond

4/Jordan

5/Oladipo 

6/D Russell

7/Fournier  

8/Gordon

9/R. Jackson   

10/Redick

11/Thad Young 

12/J. Jackson

13/Boban

Its 12 Team H2H 9-cat. Would love to get some input.

7 minutes ago, Lowvie said:

The strategy that I've been working on is a punt FT build that still leaves me competitive across the non-BIG man stats. Based on how my league picks I should be able to pull off a lineup like this:

1/Jokic

2/CP3

3/Drummond

4/Jordan

5/Oladipo 

6/D Russell

7/Fournier  

8/Gordon

9/R. Jackson   

10/Redick

11/Thad Young 

12/J. Jackson

13/Boban

Its 12 Team H2H 9-cat. Would love to get some input.

This team seems not enough pts and 3s

4 minutes ago, kane said:

This team seems not enough pts and 3s

If you are punting FT% I wouldn't waste an early pick on jokic especially with his low blocks. Your first 2 if not 3 picks should be guards/wings with high PTS/FG%/AST/3s/STLs or some combinations of those stats. Don't move into the punt until round 3 or 4 unless you got someone like Gobert, Whiteside, or Lebron early.

Capela, Noel, Dwight, Favors, will all likely have similar impacts in FG%/REB and better blocks than jokic while available much later.

On 9/14/2017 at 3:18 AM, SicarioSanity said:

I believe that first and foremost and believe that most will agree, that you shouldn't have a predetermined cat to punt coming into the draft. The safest way is to go BPA for the first two rounds and determine which cat is the best to punt from there.

On 9/14/2017 at 6:58 AM, apatas said:

Finally! Absolutely true, it can't be otherwise. I have been always surprised, that here many people are talking to plan punt before draft begins.

On 9/14/2017 at 9:15 AM, Tom Chambers said:

I 100% agree with the "don't plan to punt" strategy.

It seems like people are missing an important distinction here. Read the original poster's sentence again.  

You shouldn't have a predetermined cat to punt coming into the draft. The safest way is to go BPA for the first two rounds and determine which cat is the best to punt from there.

He's not advocating "don't plan to punt", he is saying have the way the draft goes dictate which category to punt. Trying to build a super balanced team that will dominate and win every category is a great idea in theory but it's not realistic if you are in a league with very good and competitive managers. 

1 hour ago, Purple Hippo said:

It seems like people are missing an important distinction here. Read the original poster's sentence again.  

You shouldn't have a predetermined cat to punt coming into the draft. The safest way is to go BPA for the first two rounds and determine which cat is the best to punt from there.

He's not advocating "don't plan to punt", he is saying have the way the draft goes dictate which category to punt. Trying to build a super balanced team that will dominate and win every category is a great idea in theory but it's not realistic if you are in a league with very good and competitive managers. 

OK, but nevertheless he recommended not planning punt before draft. That is important.

1 hour ago, Purple Hippo said:

Trying to build a super balanced team that will dominate and win every category is a great idea in theory but it's not realistic if you are in a league with very good and competitive managers. 

Not super balanced, but just balanced - 3-4 good cats, 3-4 average and 1-2 a little bit below average is good option. Last season I played first time at standard league and two teams punt FT%, one team went to the "small ball" and basically punt rebounds, other managers didn't punt anything.

21 minutes ago, apatas said:

OK, but nevertheless he recommended not planning punt before draft. That is important.

Where does he say that? 

By a strictly plain text interpretation he is clearly saying don't plan to punt any specific category before the draft but be prepared to toggle between several different punting strategies after drafting your first bpa.

if you're not planning to punt at all before draft you'll be woefully unprepared if the draft dictates that punting is your optimal course of action.

Edited by Purple Hippo
2 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

Where does he say that? 

By a strictly plain text interpretation he is clearly saying don't plan to punt any specific category before the draft but be prepared to toggle between several different punting strategies after drafting your first bpa.

if you're not planning to punt at all before draft you'll be woefully unprepared if the draft dictates that punting is your optimal course of action.

Yes, I am not planning to punt at all before draft, because I consider it as the best way. I work on my prerank every day and I am prepared.

I should have given a bit more info to provide more context. Let me clear up a couple misconceptions and then we can go from there. I'm in the 11th position in a 12 teamer and I know exactly who everyone is picking up until the 15th pick. In my opinion Jokic will be far and away the BPA in my draft. While Gobert would probably the next BPA at 14, I find it more practical to go CP3 next as Howard and Drummond can approximate Goberts value rounds later (imo).

My plan was to be punt FTS, be in the elite levels of FG%, REB, ASSTS, BLKS,  and be somewhat competitive in everything else. I think it needs some tweaking but could be managed with a bit of assistance from the more experienced peeps. 

Edited by Lowvie
26 minutes ago, apatas said:

Not super balanced, but just balanced - 3-4 good cats, 3-4 average and 1-2 a little bit below average is good option. Last season I played first time at standard league and two teams punt FT%, one team went to the "small ball" and basically punt rebounds, other managers didn't punt anything.

That's  a great strategy but there's no such thing as one sized fits all when you are in a league with very good players.

In my auction league I've won with both a balanced and a punting approach. The year I won by punting ft% is because nearly everyone in my league that year was pursuing the same players for a balanced strategy, thus grossly inflating their prices at auction. Consequently, I was able to pivot to a punt ft% and draft CP3, Drummond and DJ at a steep discount because no one else pursued this strategy. 

When your league zigs during the draft, you zag. This is the best way to win imo. You can't do that if your not prepared to pivot to punting categories if necessary. 

6 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

That's  a great strategy but there's no such thing as one sized fits all when you are in a league with very good players.

In my auction league I've won with both a balanced and a punting approach. The year I won by punting ft% is because nearly everyone in my league that year was pursuing the same players for a balanced strategy, thus grossly inflating their prices at auction. Consequently, I was able to pivot to a punt ft% and draft CP3, Drummond and DJ at a steep discount because no one else pursued this strategy. 

When your league zigs during the draft, you zag. This is the best way to win imo. You can't do that if your not prepared to pivot to punting categories if necessary. 

Yea these are my sentiments exactly, the vast majority of my draft likes the flashy categories (pts, 3s, etc) so I know that I'll be able to get most of the elite punt ft players at a at decent draft position without reaching.

Edited by Lowvie

I should have given a bit more info to provide more context. Let me clear up a couple misconceptions and then we can go from there. I'm in the 11th position in a 12 teamer and I know exactly who everyone is picking up until the 15th pick. In my opinion Jokic will be far and away the BPA in my draft. While Gobert would probably the next BPA at 14, I find it more practical to go CP3 next as Howard and Drummond can approximate Goberts value rounds later (imo).

2 minutes ago, Lowvie said:

Yea these are my sentiments exactly, the vast majority of my draft likes the flashy categories (pts, 3s, etc) so I know that I'll be able to get most of the elite punt ft players at a at decent draft position without reaching.

Then draft CP3/Wall at 11/14 if possible and you are good in AST/STLs with good FG% guards and then load up on punt FT% bigs. If you start CP3/Jokic go punt points or blocks instead, you really only need 2-3 more big men. shouldn't be that hard to avoid the punt FT guys.