NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Buy Low - Sell High 2017

TonyVH

6 hours ago, boshtrich17 said:

Top of my buy low list is AJ Green

Yes. I wish I was in crappier leagues. But AJ is #1 on my list. 

Another is Demarius Thomas. I admit I didn't want him much at draft time, only because too good a defense and conservative offense.

But the way Simien is playing, I'd like to have him now. 

Buy Parker, from a panicked owner who didn't watch the game and know that he could've had a monstrous day, and his bye is done.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SpartanEric said:

Yes. I wish I was in crappier leagues. But AJ is #1 on my list. 

Another is Demarius Thomas. I admit I didn't want him much at draft time, only because too good a defense and conservative offense.

But the way Simien is playing, I'd like to have him now. 

Buy Parker, from a panicked owner who didn't watch the game and know that he could've had a monstrous day, and his bye is done.

The thomas owner in my league wanted to rip me off for him insisting he would be a top 12-15 receiver. I was like whatever forget it 

7 hours ago, jtbgator said:

hmm ... wondering why you feel this way. Please explain if you can. I think TB is a legit team this year and will make a playoff run. I think Dougie will unleash once he returns.

The Bucks looked good, especially on D, but their running game was bland and pedestrian. Hicks is, admittedly, a beast but their run blocking was average to subpar. Quizz is solid enough and will get 3-4 yards per whether he has 20 touches or 2. If he scores td, great. If not, pretty pedestrian cieling. Same guy he was playing here (ATL). He will give you competence, not excellence. Competence is great. As a Howard owner, I envy competence at the moment. From the talk, blogs, and forums seems he's being treated as a solid rb2/flex for 2 more games. Martin is currently spoken of as if his peak season was average for him. I liked him heading into the season as a buy low, but now his price seems market, if not a bit high.

These guys could be useful, Martin could have big year. If you van lowball an offer, go for it. I just get the impression that expectations at the moment are optimistic. If they're right, you won't be trading him. If they're wrong, better to sell at the point of highest value. I font see the odds as any better than 50/50 and think you could get a good return for them now.

I wouldn't touch Ingram and Peterson at their ADP...but they are a buy right now. 

Tough Carolina D is next in Charlotte. The owners prolly already made up their minds that they won't start them. 

The Saints starting tackles are injured and both should be back in 2-4 weks. 

Peterson could be free. Ingram shouldn't cost that much. 

10 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I'd think about it if Zeke was offered. That's it (Side note: have both in 2-keeper league:).

Would not immediately reject AB if hurting at WR. Probably take a couple minutes to say No.

Bilal Powell - buy very low

Ameer Abdullah - depending on tonight's performance, maybe price goes up or down

CJA - sell high, don't see him keeping up pace all year (maybe can get Hyde+slight upgrade elsewhere)

Jimmy Graham - if healthy, this team has habit of starting slow; buy low

Reed/Pryor/Crowell/Cousins - speaking of slow start habits... buy low

Jordan Howard - sigh, buy low

Donte Moncrief - buy low, everyone's talking about bailing on TY

Cooks - buy low if possible, NE is in the middle of figuring out its offense design; when they do, Cooks will be no worse than average Baldwin

DeSean Jackson - buy low from an owner who didn't watch the game

Doug Martin/Quizz - sell high

Crowell - ???

Lynch - buy low, usage will increase as season goes

Mike Thomas - will be tough but buy low if possible

On Reed, Crowell, Powell, Graham, Howard, Lynch: I have all these guys across 3 leagues; hate it right now, but potential is there. I put Howard on there only because owners, like myself, are desperate and depressed after 2 weeks but he can't be this bad all year; still 50 ypg 12 td potential (as a floor). Bust of a draft pick but useful player

How do you sell high on Doug Martin when he hasn't even played yet?  Doesn't sell high mean you capitalize on a guy's stellar week and sell him to an owner who thinks it will continue, when you yourself thinks that's the best it's ever going to get?

Sell high 

Manny sanders - Will have too many duds mixed in with the two or three monster games he has per year. 

D.cook- may be a week too late on this one but I think the big first game was more a product of NO shoddy defense. Talented player but that line was horrible last year no reason to think it will be much different this year. As wel with Bradford out who knows how long teams can stack the box.

Buy low

Garcon- down week against an excellent defense in Seattle he is probably being overlooked right now as nothing more then a fringe wr3. Guy has top 10-15 potential based off volume.

J.Howard- the sky is falling!! Is he even with rostering? Cohen is taking his job!! 

These are the thoughts expressed by a good number on this board and if you find a league mate panicking I would jump at the opportunnity to get this guy for pennies on the dollar. Good running backs do get shut down, it happens, just look at Zeke and shady this weekend. I think over the course of the year barring health this guy will at worst give you solid consistent rb2 numbers with the occasional rb1 games. 

5 hours ago, CooL said:

How do you sell high on Doug Martin when he hasn't even played yet?  Doesn't sell high mean you capitalize on a guy's stellar week and sell him to an owner who thinks it will continue, when you yourself thinks that's the best it's ever going to get?

No, selling high doesn't necessarily mean capitalizing on a guys stellar week. In some cases, a players value may be peaking before he plays. Many believe Martin is an RB1 in waiting, and his current value reflects that belief. If he returns as part of a committee, and/or plays poorly, his value would be drastically less than it currently is now. If that continues his value will continue to drop. If Quizz has a couple big games over the next couple weeks, fantasy owners will further question Martin's role upon return. It's possible that Martin's value may never again be as high as it is right now.

7 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

I don't think Gillislee is a sell high. I like consistency and nothing beats the Goaline TD man in the Patriots offense. I don't trust Terrell Pryor at all and I don't see him as a proven commodity.  

My issue is Gillislee probably won't catch 10 balls this year. If Pryor catches 5 to 6 balls a game (assuming he gets better as the year goes on), then that's as good as 1 TD for Gillislee. In a standard league I would never consider this, but PPR obviously changes things.

48 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

No, selling high doesn't necessarily mean capitalizing on a guys stellar week. In some cases, a players value may be peaking before he plays. Many believe Martin is an RB1 in waiting, and his current value reflects that belief. If he returns as part of a committee, and/or plays poorly, his value would be drastically less than it currently is now. If that continues his value will continue to drop. If Quizz has a couple big games over the next couple weeks, fantasy owners will further question Martin's role upon return. It's possible that Martin's value may never again be as high as it is right now.

I agree with the premise, just usually seems with me personally in my leagues, my player has to show something first, prove it so to speak, before I start seeing good value for him. Like right now no one is going to give me a box of rocks for Doug Martin, until he goes out and proves himself, especially since he is such a volatile player (up and down, depending on the season). Now he goes out those first 2 games and puts up rb1 numbers in that good offense, than we start talking fetching something good in return

2 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

Sell high 

Manny sanders - Will have too many duds mixed in with the two or three monster games he has per year. 

D.cook- may be a week too late on this one but I think the big first game was more a product of NO shoddy defense. Talented player but that line was horrible last year no reason to think it will be much different this year. As wel with Bradford out who knows how long teams can stack the box.

Buy low

Garcon- down week against an excellent defense in Seattle he is probably being overlooked right now as nothing more then a fringe wr3. Guy has top 10-15 potential based off volume.

J.Howard- the sky is falling!! Is he even with rostering? Cohen is taking his job!! 

These are the thoughts expressed by a good number on this board and if you find a league mate panicking I would jump at the opportunnity to get this guy for pennies on the dollar. Good running backs do get shut down, it happens, just look at Zeke and shady this weekend. I think over the course of the year barring health this guy will at worst give you solid consistent rb2 numbers with the occasional rb1 games. 

I had the same thinking on Delvin Cook. They played a HORRIBLE defense week 1 and he came back down to earth week 2. Although he will be decent, I sold him after week 1 for Julio Jones to an owner who desperately needed a RB

2 hours ago, vinnyw28 said:

My issue is Gillislee probably won't catch 10 balls this year. If Pryor catches 5 to 6 balls a game (assuming he gets better as the year goes on), then that's as good as 1 TD for Gillislee. In a standard league I would never consider this, but PPR obviously changes things.

yeah but it only takes one goal line carry (which he is getting tons of) to match an entire game of catches for Pryor.

4 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

It feels like a lot of people in this thread don't understand the whole sell high buy low thing.   Just because you don't believe in him doesn't mean he's over-priced.  

Someone here called him a sell-high because he was able to trade him for Julio Jones.  Again ... you got a ton of value in trade, good for you.  But the rest of us are not getting Julio Jones for Dalvin Cook. 

Look at where he is in ROS rankings right now ... RB11 in PPR and RB13 in standard

3 minutes ago, jspeed said:

It feels like a lot of people in this thread don't understand the whole sell high buy low thing.   Just because you don't believe in him doesn't mean he's over-priced.  

Someone here called him a sell-high because he was able to trade him for Julio Jones.  Again ... you got a ton of value in trade, good for you.  But the rest of us are not getting Julio Jones for Dalvin Cook. 

Look at where he is in ROS rankings right now ... RB11 in PPR and RB13 in standard

I said sell high on Cook and really had nothing to do with who I got in return. I understand nobody is going to get Jones for him. However, Minnesota still has line problems imo and if you have other serviceable RB's, I would sell him for an upgrade at another position. He won't keep up the pace with his week 1 performance imo and they also played the Saints. The NFC North defenses are all improved imo and he will be playing them. 

Yes, some people might not get a gauge because we can all say "sell high or buy low" but it all depends on the player you are giving up, which will be different for each team. If I can get a Top 12 WR for Cook, I would advise to do so. These are my opinions just like everyone else has one here too. Has nothing to do with who I got in return. 

2 minutes ago, jspeed said:

I'm not so sure. I don't think a Cook for Jones trade is out of the question, especially if one assumes Cook's usage & production increase as the season progresses. In fact, I have Cook and I'm not sure I'd trade him for Julio. Definitely not a slam dunk. I think it depends on roster make up.

Just now, PackerBacker555 said:

I said sell high on Cook and really had nothing to do with who I got in return. I understand nobody is going to get Jones for him. However, Minnesota still has line problems imo and if you have other serviceable RB's, I would sell him for an upgrade at another position. He won't keep up the pace with his week 1 performance imo and they also played the Saints. The NFC North defenses are all improved imo and he will be playing them. 

Yes, some people might not get a gauge because we can all say "sell high or buy low" but it all depends on the player you are giving up, which will be different for each team. If I can get a Top 12 WR for Cook, I would advise to do so. These are my opinions just like everyone else has one here too. Has nothing to do with who I got in return. 

So what you're saying is that you don't believe in Cook.  I heard you the first time.  

Most Dalvin Cook owners drafted him precisely because they do believe in him.  Think of it like buying a piece of a company on the stock market.  Most people buy a stock to hold and appreciate.  Most of us spent a third or fourth round draft pick on Dalvin Cook.  So we don't see a trade for another third or fourth rounder as a selling opportunity.

Glad to see some Doug Martin chatter in here bcs I'm personally having a tough time gauging his value.  That offense should eat but what Doug shows up off his suspension?  For context in my 10 team standard league, the value for Doug at the moment (what the owner is shopping him at) is around a 1 for 1 for Keenan Allen types.  To me, seems about fair.

1 minute ago, sanderz16 said:

Glad to see some Doug Martin chatter in here bcs I'm personally having a tough time gauging his value.  That offense should eat but what Doug shows up off his suspension?  For context in my 10 team standard league, the value for Doug at the moment (what the owner is shopping him at) is around a 1 for 1 for Keenan Allen types.  To me, seems about fair.

I doubt any K Allen owners would trade him for Doug unless they were desperate. But why would a desperate team in need of a RB trade for a guy who isn't going to play for the next 2? I don't own him but  Allen's perceived value is WR1 I would imagine.

12 minutes ago, sanderz16 said:

I own Doug Martin too and would like some input as to the value of him. It is hard because I am banking on him being my RB2 when he comes back but you never know. I wonder if there are any out there that have received interest for another RB2 from an owner who loves Martin.