NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Buy Low - Sell High 2017

TonyVH

37 minutes ago, BronXBombers51 said:

Yeah, but that's only if you valued him as a late rd1/early rd2 RB. Some people were avoiding him because they thought he was a bust risk and now many of those fears are being realized.

The difference in perceived value is the only way buying low/selling high works. You need different opinions on value or else everyone would value all players the same and you just be buying and selling based off of roster needs only. Not everyone will value these guys the same, and that's the point. If you like a guy's future, you hope the owner in your league doesn't like it as much as you. If he likes him more or the same you would just be buying, not buying low so you move on or decide to pay the higher price. Obviously it's the same thing in reverse for selling.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Stutin said:

aj green is a great buy low if you have faith in Dalton 

AJ Green is a good buy low, but faith in Dalton is nil.  So I'm not trading away a top WR that catches passes from competent QB that actually has an O-Line to keep him upright, but I'd definitely buy low if the price is right.

Edited by Trifecta

54 minutes ago, Bigfische1 said:

The difference in perceived value is the only way buying low/selling high works. You need different opinions on value or else everyone would value all players the same and you just be buying and selling based off of roster needs only. Not everyone will value these guys the same, and that's the point. If you like a guy's future, you hope the owner in your league doesn't like it as much as you. If he likes him more or the same you would just be buying, not buying low so you move on or decide to pay the higher price. Obviously it's the same thing in reverse for selling.

Agreed, I guess my overall point was just that there might have been real, legitimate developments over the first two weeks that cause a certain player's stock to drop. In the case of Howard, I think there are genuine concerns with his usage and it's not as simple as 'eh, slow start but he's still a 2nd round RB so I'm going to buy up all shares.' In football, more than any other fantasy sport, you have to adapt quickly because roles, schemes and situations can change on a dime. I put a lot less stock in draft day valuations after two weeks of football than I would in a sport like baseball, where it would take me maybe two months to deviate from draft day valuations.

And again, I'm not saying Howard couldn't be a buy. It's all about price point, as always.

2 hours ago, dre said:

Howard is the very definition of a buy low.  Consensus late rd1/early rd2 draft pick that has thus far under performed and is dealing with a shoulder injury.  If you believe he will start to perform as he did last year, this is the time to try to trade for him.  

Do people really not know how this whole "buy low / sell high" thing works?

Yeah so if I believe his stats from last year ,  he is a big low? It’s like saying Langford and Gurley are buy lows from last year .. how did that work out ?

Mine - Cousins to that list 

5 minutes ago, Shorty72006 said:

I'm thinking of selling CJ Anderson for a top WR (AB, Jordy, Evans...) He might be a great sell high right now.

I think CJA is great in that Denver offense, but he is still definitely a high end RB2 at best. If someone is drinking the orange and blue koolaid and will give you one of the elite WR, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

13 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

It absolutely could go down. Just look at gurleys fall from grace last year. Talented rb running behind a terrible line with no passing game to take some pressure off and see what he did. How quickly did that stock crash?

Dalvin Cook currently RB20 (PPR) being priced at RB13

Todd Gurley 2016  RB24 in PPR

So maybe there's a little room to drop, but it's not as much as you seem to think.

45 minutes ago, maxim730 said:

Yeah so if I believe his stats from last year ,  he is a big low? It’s like saying Langford and Gurley are buy lows from last year .. how did that work out ?

Mine - Cousins to that list 

Well, if you bought low on Gurley and Langford last season, it wouldn't have worked out.  But that is the way it goes.  Sometimes you hit and sometimes you miss.  

37 minutes ago, Shorty72006 said:

I'm thinking of selling CJ Anderson for a top WR (AB, Jordy, Evans...) He might be a great sell high right now.

His O-Line is going to take a big hit for the next few weeks without Bolles.  That said, when Bolles gets healthy they should go back to very good.

Why stop at 538 yards and 9 TD's when you're writing fanfic like that?  Obviously Cooks could be up to 1900 yards and 16 TD's if Brady threw him an 80 yard TD on every drive.

In the real world Cooks is going to give you three or four good weeks like he always does.

4 hours ago, Stutin said:

would crabtree be a good sell high? not too many targets but had a great week 2 and has potential. 

aj green is a great buy low if you have faith in Dalton 

Yes, after a 3 TD game is pretty much the definition of the right time to shop again for a sell high.  Whether or not anyone will bite is an open question.

1 hour ago, remark900 said:

Brandin Cooks good buy low option?

Great post here regarding his output so far and how it could be much higher:

Honestly, you could do a write up like this about every single freaking player in the league, and they would have 500 yards and 10 touchdowns.  It's absolutely ridiculous.

If the writer is going to go down some rabbit hole of fiction, let's at least consider the time travel paradox that would occur.  If Cooks catches the so called 57 yard touchdown in the first series, it's possible that none of the resulting plays in the Chiefs game would have ever occurred.  Or maybe he catches the 57 yard touchdown and breaks his leg on the celebration.  Who knows!?

25 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Is Murray actually a sell low at this point before his value bottoms out? I think if you could get an unspectacular RB2 for him (Miller/Crowell/Ingram) you have to run with it. How much lower would you guys be willing to go?

My assumption going into this year was it would be something like a 50/50 split with a hot hand approach being employed.  I see nothing to dissuade me of that so far.  So I think Murray is RB15 and Henry is RB25 at the moment.  I would expect them to both settle in around RB20.

Bottom line is that Abdullah/Crowell/Miller/Martin are the guys around RB20.  You might be able to get a Jordan Howard if his owner is panicky.  I don't think there is any urgency as far as losing value.

Wentz, Alshon and Ertz. Now is the time to try to grab one or two of these three, if possible. They've been on the road first two weeks, Wash and KC, and have overperformed. Wentz currently number 2 QB, Ertz top 5 TE, and Alshon top 10 WR in standard right now. After another week or two you wont be able to touch either of them. I think when you look at current points and see three guys who weren't projected to at the top all there or near it, that should tell us something: these guys are going to be blowing up all year. There is no running game in Philly to contend with, which is great for fantasy, and the D although good is vulnerable to the big play.

Wentz may still be on some WW's, Alshon despite his good game last week can be had straight up for a bigger name receiver who is underperforming. Ertz may already be untouchable since the TE position is a fantasy wasteland right now.

21 minutes ago, David447 said:

Wentz, Alshon and Ertz. Now is the time to try to grab one or two of these three, if possible. They've been on the road first two weeks, Wash and KC, and have overperformed. Wentz currently number 2 QB, Ertz top 5 TE, and Alshon top 10 WR in standard right now. After another week or two you wont be able to touch either of them. I think when you look at current points and see three guys who weren't projected to at the top all there or near it, that should tell us something: these guys are going to be blowing up all year. There is no running game in Philly to contend with, which is great for fantasy, and the D although good is vulnerable to the big play.

Wentz may still be on some WW's, Alshon despite his good game last week can be had straight up for a bigger name receiver who is underperforming. Ertz may already be untouchable since the TE position is a fantasy wasteland right now.

As an Ertz owner I'd have to be absolutely blown away to deal. Totally agree on Eagles passing game, they're going to be slinging it all season as they don't have a competent RB outside of Sproles and he can't handle many carries  

9 hours ago, David447 said:

This is assuming Corey Clement does not enter the picture.