NBC Sports Edge Forums

Buy Low - Sell High 2017

11 hours ago, David447 said:

Wentz, Alshon and Ertz. Now is the time to try to grab one or two of these three, if possible. They've been on the road first two weeks, Wash and KC, and have overperformed. Wentz currently number 2 QB, Ertz top 5 TE, and Alshon top 10 WR in standard right now. After another week or two you wont be able to touch either of them. I think when you look at current points and see three guys who weren't projected to at the top all there or near it, that should tell us something: these guys are going to be blowing up all year. There is no running game in Philly to contend with, which is great for fantasy, and the D although good is vulnerable to the big play.

Wentz may still be on some WW's, Alshon despite his good game last week can be had straight up for a bigger name receiver who is underperforming. Ertz may already be untouchable since the TE position is a fantasy wasteland right now.

Setting up for a golden fantasy situation, like you said.  The weakness of Philly's D is their secondary, and with their lack of a running game but strong OL, that should equal high pass volume and potential shootouts.

At first I was upset I had to settle with Wentz instead of Mariota or Cousins, but at the moment I'm feeling rather fortunate.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/20/2017 at 10:24 AM, griffin727 said:

I think CJA is great in that Denver offense, but he is still definitely a high end RB2 at best. If someone is drinking the orange and blue koolaid and will give you one of the elite WR, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I agree with the sentiment of your comment, but name 12 RBs you'd rather have.

31 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Bell

Hunt

Elliott

Freeman

McCoy

Ajayi

Gordon

Montgomery

I personally would probably put Cook, Hyde, Fournette and Gurley next to round out a top 12, but you can make a case for CJA fitting somewhere in that group.

36 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Zeke

Bell

Hunt

Gordon

Gurley

McCoy

Cook

Lynch

Freeman and Coleman

Fournette

Ty Monty

Ajayi

...and D. Henry (maybe D. Murray too)

Silly at the moment, but 3 weeks ago you could've replaced CJA with Howard and said the same thing.

I don't like CJA long term. Remember the Carolina game last year? How'd that go ROS?

17 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Zeke

Bell

Hunt

Gordon

Gurley

McCoy

Cook

Lynch

Freeman and Coleman

Fournette

Ty Monty

Ajayi

...and D. Henry (maybe D. Murray too)

Silly at the moment, but 3 weeks ago you could've replaced CJA with Howard and said the same thing.

I don't like CJA long term. Remember the Carolina game last year? How'd that go ROS?

Hunt has been amazing, but I'd like to see a little more before I can confidently say he's Top-3.  (But he's an RB1, no doubt)

In the same vein, Gurley has looked good for 2 games after looking like an ineffective bust for nearly 2 seasons worth of games.

Lynch has a ton of miles on him and I don't see him lasting the whole season or remaining effective throughout.

Ajayi is a bruiser but 624 of his 1272 yards last year came in 3 games.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
5 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Hunt has been amazing, but I'd like to see a little more before I can confidently say he's Top-3.

In the same vein, Gurley has looked good for 2 games after looking like an ineffective bust for nearly 2 seasons worth of games.

Lynch has a ton of miles on him and I don't see him lasting the whole season or remaining effective throughout.

Ajayi is a bruiser but 624 of his 1272 yards last year came in 3 games.

List is not exactly in order.  Ty Monty would certainly be higher if it were.  Hunt is a talented back in a RB productive offense with a good line.  He's a RB1. Even if his production dips a bit, it's a high floor.

Gurley's schedule gets rough, but I have a lot of faith in the impact of coaching change.  Jeff Fisher made everybody on that team worse.  Players usually rebound when moving on from a guy like that.  Gurley has loads of talent, a poor line, but finally a coach with a modicum of creativity and willingness to get his best player the ball in favorable situations.

Lynch is being paced right now so that he will hold up and be relatively fresh throughout the season.  I expect he'll get around 1,000 yards and 12 tds.

Took Howard over Ajayi for exactly that reason, and the 16 straight games.  Not feeling great about it right now (though if I'd gone the other way I'd be pretty nervous about Ajayi's knee swelling).

1 hour ago, FlyingElvis said:

It might be tough to move him, but Hogan is probably a sell high right now? Amendola seems to be back (for the time being), so that obviously dents his value. Not sure what you could get for him right now, though.

Sell high is what regard?  Who do you think you can get for him?  I have thought about selling him but have no idea who I could get for him.  He's barely a starter for most people.  If he's on your bench or getting used as a flex occasionally then you can't really expect more than another borderline flex player in return for him.

So a couple names i wanna hear people's take on . The obvious first two gurley and Hyde after their big games last night

Gurley- the schedule is about to beefen up and looking ahead of you make it to the playoffs he's at Seattle and then at tenesee weeks 15 and 16. I imagine you could probably shoot for the stars right now after this game. That could change dramatically as his next three are dallas Seattle and jacksonvulle.

Hyde- another guy who has looked excellent, but the injury concern is huge with this guy. so much so that he's a must cuff guy essentially taking a bench spot away from a weekly potential lotto pick. As well he has Jacksonville week 16, along with matchups against Houston Seattle and the giants.

My other one might just be me panicking after just the one gsme, but does anyone else have a bad feeling about zeke. Not saying he will bust but more so will finish in the 10-15 range rather then top 5 like everyone expects? The sophomore slump can be a real thing, and both he and the qb are susceptible . As well weeks 14 and 16 he has tilts at the giants and vs seattle.

What do you guys think of these three?

4 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

So a couple names i wanna hear people's take on . The obvious first two gurley and Hyde after their big games last night

Gurley- the schedule is about to beefen up and looking ahead of you make it to the playoffs he's at Seattle and then at tenesee weeks 15 and 16. I imagine you could probably shoot for the stars right now after this game. That could change dramatically as his next three are dallas Seattle and jacksonvulle.

Hyde- another guy who has looked excellent, but the injury concern is huge with this guy. so much so that he's a must cuff guy essentially taking a bench spot away from a weekly potential lotto pick. As well he has Jacksonville week 16, along with matchups against Houston Seattle and the giants.

My other one might just be me panicking after just the one gsme, but does anyone else have a bad feeling about zeke. Not saying he will bust but more so will finish in the 10-15 range rather then top 5 like everyone expects? The sophomore slump can be a real thing, and both he and the qb are susceptible . As well weeks 14 and 16 he has tilts at the giants and vs seattle.

Anyone is available for the right price, but in the RB landscape there aren't many guys I would rather have than Zeke, Gurley, or Hyde, so it makes it a pretty tough sell situation.  

Gurley's schedule might not be ideal, but he's one of the few 3-down workhorse backs, who you know the ball is going to in the RZ.  Even in a bad matchup like Seattle, I feel like Gurley is a decent start, because even if he only averages 2-3 YPC, if they get a 1st & Goal it's likely going to be a Gurley TD.  I've seen people pointing to his TDs being unsustainable, and yeah, maybe at this rate, but he's going to score a lot this year now that the offense is moving the ball.  I own him in one league and wouldn't sell him outside of a huge overpayment.

Hyde has injury concerns, but he's been huge this year - his success wasn't just one big game last night, as he also put up 5 YPC on Carolina and over 8 YPC on Seattle!  If anything I'm buying high on Hyde and hoping his owner has some injury history concerns.  And you say handcuffing him like it's a bad thing - I'd love for all my RBs to have as clear and effective of a handcuff as Hyde and Breida.  IMO guaranteed at least RB2 value ROS.

Zeke I'm more concerned about the legal process than his effectiveness.  Tough game against DEN, but if anything that makes him a buy-a-little-low candidate from a worried owner.  Good O-line and great all year last year, so I have no doubt he bounces back.  

Basically I think if healthy all 3 of these guys will finish top-12 at RB, and if you start making cute little swaps trying to move someone you perceive as more of an injury risk for another RB1, I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.  

5 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

Gurley or zeke someone would have to literally gut their team to return value for them. You would have to have Hunt  and bell as your other rb's to want to trade gurley and zeke and you would have to expect antonio or evans in return if u were doing a 1 for 1 trade.

Gurleys strength of schedule is overrated in terms of his volume and usage in the offense. i can't predict how well a defense will play multiple weeks out so I'm not trading him based on his strength of schedule

Hyde is definitely a great sell high candidate after last nights game particularly if  want to upgrade to a wr1. or a rb+wr2 package. most people didnt draft Hyde as a rb. I would be shopping him to the DJ  + Howard  + Cmac owners who are hurting in the rb category or to the team that went wr heavy using zero rb and are really scrambling to fill their rb slot so can afford to trade a wr1

Just now, Unbreakable said:

Is anyone looking at Jordan Reed as a buy low target? The tight end landscape is pretty beat up right now. The Redskins offense played 2 tough defenses and aren't quite clicking yet. Once they get rolling, they have shown they can produce.

no id rather not trade for a guy thats gonna have me worrying if i have to play my backup TE every week

19 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Sell high is what regard?  Who do you think you can get for him?  I have thought about selling him but have no idea who I could get for him.  He's barely a starter for most people.  If he's on your bench or getting used as a flex occasionally then you can't really expect more than another borderline flex player in return for him.

Sell high, as in I don't think his value goes up from here. It's tough to predict anything, but I can't imagine Hogan scoring nearly 19 points in PPR again this season.

16 minutes ago, FlyingElvis said:

Sell high, as in I don't think his value goes up from here. It's tough to predict anything, but I can't imagine Hogan scoring nearly 19 points in PPR again this season.

Everyone else, including the guys you might try to trade him to, realizes the same thing....

Just now, JohnD said:

Everyone else, including the guys you might try to trade him to, realizes the same thing....

That's kind of my point. At no point throughout the rest of the year will you get a higher value than right now. It's not your typical "sell high after three weeks of insane numbers" situation, but I expect him to be worth less starting next week. Probably average around 9 points in PPR. 

1 hour ago, Unbreakable said:

Is anyone looking at Jordan Reed as a buy low target? The tight end landscape is pretty beat up right now. The Redskins offense played 2 tough defenses and aren't quite clicking yet. Once they get rolling, they have shown they can produce.

Jordan Reed is a monster and a difference maker.

He's also the least trustworthy player in fantasy.

I have a strict "never pay for Reed" policy. Anytime I get an offer from a Reed owner, even a completely reasonable one, I just reply "I don't pay for Jordan Reed." It ain't worth it. At least not to me. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Jordan Reed is a monster and a difference maker.

He's also the least trustworthy player in fantasy.

I have a strict "never pay for Reed" policy. Anytime I get an offer from a Reed owner, even a completely reasonable one, I just reply "I don't pay for Jordan Reed." It ain't worth it. At least not to me. 

I agree. Reed is always a DND or acquire for me. One of the most talented TE's on the field, but he's got to be one of the most if not the most, injury prone players I've ever seen. 

Just now, mverkruyse said:

Danny Amendola says "hi"

I'd argue that because of the TE position and that Reed is unquestionably elite he deserves the nod over Amendola, because Amendola's role isn't always valuable when everyones healthy.