NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Bennie Fowler 2017 Season Outlook

throwaway9614

3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

I don't trust DT this week.  He was gimpy last week, got checked out at half or just after half, then got his ankle turned again in the 2nd half.  I think he is more banged up then they are letting on.  Sanders is down.  I could easily see DT getting 4 for 31 yards, and Fowler going for 60 or so and a TD.  The rest, like you said, run the fricking ball.

Yeah that could happen.   But DT is tough and should be playing normal snaps.   If he doesn’t, that makes Fowler the wr1 with coverage to match.     

You could do worse than Fowler but calling him a “safe flex” is off base.   This is tailor made for running the ball and using JC out of the backfield.   The line can’t hold up in pass protection sadly. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the heck have I been. 

Upcoming schedule: Chargers (24th), Chiefs (30th), Eagles 31st), and Patriots (29th) - that has to be the easiest schedule in the league. Game flow looks great too. 

Talent: Not sure

Opportunity: Great

Schedule: Great

This averages to equal a pretty damn good situation with high upside. Should know after this week how talented he is. If he proves to be talented....we may have ourselves a bonafide WR2 for the next 4 weeks (understand Sanders week-to-week injury). 

2 hours ago, Tenner said:

Upcoming schedule: Chargers (24th), Chiefs (30th), Eagles 31st), and Patriots (29th) - that has to be the easiest schedule in the league. Game flow looks great too. 

This averages to equal a pretty damn good situation with high upside. Should know after this week how talented he is. If he proves to be talented....we may have ourselves a bonafide WR2 for the next 4 weeks (understand Sanders week-to-week injury). 

You may have sold me on picking up Fowler. Is there any official timeline on how long Sanders is approximately out for? 

Wait. Did I miss something here?  How long is Sanders out for?

28 minutes ago, boom o bust said:

if DT is hurt and Fowler is #2..i see hayward covering fowler and not DT.  Im sure a#2DB can cover an injured DT

Is there any precedent for this? Even when one WR has been killing a defense all day I've seen the top CB stick with the top WR even though the top WR isn't doing anything (I can't think of a particular instance where they were injured tho). 

Edited by Jaw1

11 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Wait. Did I miss something here?  How long is Sanders out for?

He got carted off last week with an ankle injury after a low tackle on him. It looked pretty bad originally and he was ruled out of the game immediately after. Last I heard he was week to week with a sprained ankle but I have no info about the severity or how long he is expected to miss. Broncos WR core is hurting since Cody Latimer and Isaiah McKenzie are also out this week. I think this leaves DT (who got banged up last game so he isn't 100%), Fowler and Jordan Taylor (6ft 5 former undrafted rookie who made a name for himself in preseason like two years ago) as the only "healthy" receivers. Taylor is low key a sleeper to take advantage of this opportunity potentially more than Fowler especially since Fowler is the smallest of the 3 and has played mostly out of the slot this year.  

Edited by Jaw1

Then again the opportunity and schedule is great for any Broncos pass catcher. Doesn't mea Jordan Taylor, Virgil Green or AJ Derby can't be the main beneficiaries of this opportunity or they could all cut into it so that neither of the four are particularly valuable. Its also very likely Broncos depend heavily on the run game in the mean time with 3 capable RBs and a strong defense (as long as Siemien isn't throwing picks like last week). 

Edited by Jaw1

Mike Clay ESPN

The Chargers have allowed the ninth-most fantasy points to wide receivers this season, but if we break it down further, we see that they've allowed the 10th-most points to slot receivers and the seventh-fewest to players lined up on the perimeter. Those struggles against the slot make Bennie Fowler III an interesting name this week, especially with Sanders sidelined.

Timeout #1 by DEN at 04:38.

1-10-NYG 10 (4:38) (Shotgun) 13-T.Siemian pass incomplete short left to 88-D. Thomas (57-K.Robinson).

2-10-NYG 10 (4:34) (Shotgun) 13-T.Siemian pass incomplete short left to 16-B.Fowler (24-E.Apple).

3-10-NYG 10 (4:29) (Shotgun) 13-T.Siemian pass incomplete short middle to 16-B.Fowler (93-B.Goodson).

4-10-NYG 10 (4:25) 8-B.McManus 28 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-42-C.Kreiter, Holder-9-R.Dixon.

NYG 10    DEN 3    Plays: 9    Possession: 3:06

1-8-NYG 8 (10:00) (Shotgun) 13-T.Siemian pass short middle to 88-D. Thomas to NYG 5 for 3 yards (93-B.Goodson).

2-5-NYG 5 (9:19) (Shotgun) 13-T.Siemian pass incomplete short middle to 87-J.Taylor (37-R.Cockrell).

3-5-NYG 5 (9:14) (Shotgun) 13-T.Siemian pass short middle to 16-B.Fowler to NYG 1 for 4 yards (37-R.Cockrell).

4-1-NYG 1 (8:30) 73-A.Barbre reported in as eligible. 22-C.Anderson right guard to NYG 1 for no gain (91-A.Moss). Denver challenged the short of the line to gain ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands. (Timeout #1 at 08:23.)

15 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Is there any precedent for this? Even when one WR has been killing a defense all day I've seen the top CB stick with the top WR even though the top WR isn't doing anything (I can't think of a particular instance where they were injured tho). 

no but think about it.  if DT is 70% out there, why do they need to put their stud DB on him?  its one thing if hes 100% and killing a team to force it to other WR's.  but the fact Siemian got hurt last week and also blows.  

and look what he did last week against a Giants secondary with targets. yes its not LAC but they are not the worst defense plus LAC can be run on!  Unless they are done a ton of points i dont see them airing it out as much as they need to especially with a hobbled DT and no Sanders. 

You would be crazy to start any Denver wr besides DT.    They can’t protect and Siemian is hearing footsteps big time.   

Taylor will play on the outside opposite DT and is just as good of a bet to get targets as Fowler.    

You can do better 

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

You would be crazy to start any Denver wr besides DT.    They can’t protect and Siemian is hearing footsteps big time.   

Taylor will play on the outside opposite DT and is just as good of a bet to get targets as Fowler.    

You can do better 

the sad thing is some of us cant :(

from silva's matchups column this week

Fowler logged a season-high 83% snap rate in Sanders’ absence, catching 5-of-5 targets for 45 yards. Albeit far from a sexy play, Fowler is worth a serious look against Chiefs slot CB Phillip Gaines, who is PFF’s No. 113-graded cornerback out of 113. Fowler plays 78% of his snaps in the slot.