NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jason Witten 2017 Outlook

On 11/16/2017 at 3:56 PM, almonte said:

How do you think he does this weekend vs Philadelphia? I'm hoping he gets a lot of check downs.

I have thought that as well the weeks he gets 1-2 catches. A game like this you would think he would have a nice 5+ catch day but......

These are the kind of games that we expect from the PPR tank, but it has been hard to pinpoint the match-ups whether he will be asked to block or run these short routes to take pressure off Dak.  Do we think the coaching staff is going to make changes targeting him more heavily going forward with the Dak to Dez connection failing?  I'm not sure this offense will ever learn to score TDs again. 

I feel like most people that own him have to decide between the PPR legacy of old man Witten or some of the younger guys like Hooper, Henry, and Kittle.  TE roulette has been tough this year.

Edited by ap0calypse
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I guess because it was announced during the multi-day NFL draft the news kind of went unnoticed...

What a player and warrior. 15 seasons in the NFL. At tight end. Did he ever miss a game?

Future HOF'er.

Cowboys TE Jason Witten is retiring from the NFL after 15 seasons.

Just 10 days ago, Witten confirmed he was going to play this season and planned to bypass a TV job until next year at the earliest. ESPN must have sweetened their offer, as the network is desperate to fill out its new Monday Night Football team. Per ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Witten will be a lead analyst on the crew. Witten, 36 next week, will meet with Jerry Jones on Friday to finalize his decision. A 2003 third-rounder, Witten caught 68 career touchdowns and amassed 1,152 catches for 12,448 yards. He was a two-time first-team All-Pro and made 11 Pro Bowls. Witten is likely eventually headed for the Hall of Fame.
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Did he ever miss a game?

he has played in every game since since the start of the 2004 season.  A great Dallas Cowboy, HOF'er, and will stamp his name in the Ring of Honor easily.  His approach and leadership on and off the football field is one to be admired no doubt about it.

8 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just 10 days ago, Witten confirmed he was going to play this season and planned to bypass a TV job until next year at the earliest. ESPN must have sweetened their offer, as the network is desperate to fill out its new Monday Night Football team.

word i've heard a few times already is this job came down to Witten or Greg Olsen(Panthers TE) but Olsen had the inside track to the job ahead of Witten.  This was discussed on the radio on two different channels here locally so i don't have a link for this, so take it for what you will.  I do find it interesting that Olsen was just given an extension though just recently.  I have to believe he possibly used this ESPN gig as leverage with Carolina and they stepped up and paid the guy to keep him from retirement.  It then moved on to Witten and i believe the offer was too good for him to pass up after playing 15 good seasons in the NFL.  Im sure his close buddy Tony Romo assisted in advice to Witten as well.  

Overall it puts the Cowboys in a tough situation but i wish Witten all the best.  He deserves it.

I guess we post here in his 2017 Outlook since he likely doesn't have a 2018 Outlook.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/jason-witten-offered-4-million-plus-by-espn.html

Seriously? 4-4.5 Million dollars to announce games?  Twice what he can make while beating up his body for a 16th year?  Yeah, he's not coming back.

I find it interesting that the networks all locked on to him, when there are plenty of other former players now with tv experience that could do the job well.  Does he fit the good-looking white guy profile? 

14 minutes ago, CooL said:

I guess we post here in his 2017 Outlook since he likely doesn't have a 2018 Outlook.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/jason-witten-offered-4-million-plus-by-espn.html

Seriously? 4-4.5 Million dollars to announce games?  Twice what he can make while beating up his body for a 16th year?  Yeah, he's not coming back.

I find it interesting that the networks all locked on to him, when there are plenty of other former players now with tv experience that could do the job well.  Does he fit the good-looking white guy profile? 

He fits the popular ex-Cowboy profile. Cowboys are one of the most popular NFL teams and have a huge fan base all over the country and world. Aikman is one of the best. Tony Romo was great last season. I always liked Daryl Johnston as well. Witten adds to that list of ex-Cowboys in broadcasting.

59 minutes ago, kdko said:

Didn't he miss some time when his spleen exploded?

that was hurt in preseason leading up to the Giants opener.  He toughed it out though and started in the opener and each game to follow that year.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, devaster said:

Witten adds to that list of ex-Cowboys in broadcasting.

Agreed, though I'm not a Cowboys fan. Witten's 2018 season outlook is great, just it'll be with a microphone not a ball, and suit-and-tie, not pads and a helmet.

• Like 1
  • jbshaw locked this topic