NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gorgui Dieng 2017-2018 Season Outlook

GmGodine

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, jiiiggz said:

going to give it a few more games. If he gets under >15 minutes again...well..

To put in perspective how low my expectations for Dieng are this year, I would definitely drop him for someone like Lauri Markkanen (after Bobby Portis literally punched out all of Markkanen's competition).

Idk he was relatively cheap, 7 round and later in snake and $10 for auctions where I have him.  If you took him you were gambling on whether he would play enough minutes to stay relevant, basically the same as if you had drafted any other sleeper.  So while guys like JaketheSnake and Vinsanity were correct pertaining to playing time, I don’t think it was the worst to take a flyer on him.  Whether or not you drop him is largely the same question you would ask of any other sleeper.  I think it’s a hold until the rotation is more set in stone and if you are in a deep league he’s worth holding to see if Taj retains the starting job or gets injured. I remember a couple years ago he had a horrible slump and someone dropped him.  I picked him up and won the ship. So I’m inclined to just wait it out. But I’m not optimistic.  

5 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I remember a couple years ago he had a horrible slump and someone dropped him.  I picked him up and won the ship. So I’m inclined to just wait it out. But I’m not optimistic.  

That's not really a fair comparison.  Two years ago, he was coming off the bench behind a totally washed up 39 year old Kevin Garnett who was only starting as a thank-you for everything he did for the Wolves a decade ago.  It was only a matter of time until KG's 39 year old body broke down.  

Gibson is nothing great, but he's clearly better than KG was in 2015-2016 and Thibs loves him.  Also even before KG got hurt, he was only playing 15 minutes a game (which was still enough to mostly kill Dieng's fantasy value the first half of the year).  Gibson is going to play a lot more than that, at least 25 minutes a game.

On 9/25/2017 at 3:21 PM, Philzilla said:

I'd love to draft Dieng in like the 12th round. He's proven to be a glue guy before in limited minutes. 

When you're wrong you're wrong. Glad I didn't draft him this year. Should end up on all wires in a few games but I'll be watching to see if and when oft-injured and aging Taj goes down. 

32 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

That's not really a fair comparison.  Two years ago, he was coming off the bench behind a totally washed up 39 year old Kevin Garnett who was only starting as a thank-you for everything he did for the Wolves a decade ago.  It was only a matter of time until KG's 39 year old body broke down.  

Gibson is nothing great, but he's clearly better than KG was in 2015-2016 and Thibs loves him.  Also even before KG got hurt, he was only playing 15 minutes a game (which was still enough to mostly kill Dieng's fantasy value the first half of the year).  Gibson is going to play a lot more than that, at least 25 minutes a game.

Yeah, I’m not optimistic.  But he’s not a drop yet until it is more certain he will

play under 20 MPG or a can’t miss prospect comes along on the WW. Few players have shaken free as a cant miss pickup and the ones who have are already gone in my leagues.  I still think Dieng will finish higher in the player rater than those left on the WW. 

Somehow just traded him for Gary Harris. 

I love Gorgui - he's been one of my super-glue guys over the past few seasons, but Thibs + Taj give me worry this year that playing time will be sporadic at best. 

He thrives as a backup 5, but with KAT playing all the minutes, and Taj leaking into various parts of the rotation, i think 20-25 mins/game is all we can hope for. 

3 minutes ago, PersonUnderTheStair said:

I love Gorgui - he's been one of my super-glue guys over the past few seasons, but Thibs + Taj give me worry this year that playing time will be sporadic at best. 

He thrives as a backup 5, but with KAT playing all the minutes, and Taj leaking into various parts of the rotation, i think 20-25 mins/game is all we can hope for. 

smh. What kind of leagues do you guys play in? 

28 minutes ago, PersonUnderTheStair said:

Wtf?  Did you pull off an Olynk for Milsap trade right after that? 

1 hour ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

he will have another bad game tonight thanks to the stifle tower and his ownership will drop 50%. Then he'll have a great game against OKC and everyone will be blowing their FAAB or high WP on him. So I'm holding for at least another week or two

I don't think anyone here is arguing his per minute fantasy production.  If he was getting 30 minutes a game, he'd be a top 50 roto asset in 9 cat, no question.  How is he going to have a great game if he's playing less than 20 minutes a game though?

Sure, Dieng would be great if Towns got hurt.  But is that really worth holding onto Dieng for?  Towns is 21 years old and has NEVER missed a game.  That's a far different situation from 2 years ago when Dieng was stuck behind a 39 year old washed up Kevin Garnett.  

Edited by FootballFan101

On 9/19/2017 at 6:11 PM, richg24 said:

h2h trash  - was high on him last year thinking he would have a nice leap in counting stats but nope. good roto glue guy for good percentages (but low volume), and good stocks. on that stacked team now i would not touch him in a h2h draft. 

tried to warn y'all earlier. drop city, get nance if you can or any other hot FA. don't hesitate, hesitation kills. 

Anyone who drafted him as a "sleeper" or "flyer" guy wasn't paying attention.

The T-wolves literally brought in a vet, who plays Dieng's exact position, to play ahead of him.  Same situation as Hernangomez/Kanter in NY.

He's not roster-able unless KAT/Taj gets injured, and that's just how it is.

Edited by alexstr

On 10/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, Tom Chambers said:

To drop a "ACKSHUALLY!" post the day after a bad game.  Like where was this dude all of October to tell me I wasn't downplaying him enough

Sorry that I don't go around checking all the players' forum pages during the offseason.  However, Dieng's usage in Game 1 was no different than during the preseason so it's not like anything surprising happened Game 1.

On 10/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, Tom Chambers said:

It's super lol to be quiet about it for three weeks and then come in after a bad game and tell me that when I said I wasn't buying on Dieng, I needed to say I wasn't buying even more forcefully.

You claim you weren't buying/recommending Dieng, but before that you said

On 10/1/2017 at 1:03 AM, Tom Chambers said:

The concern with Dieng here isn't that he's undraftable or something, but that he went from round 4-5 to round 6-7 if he's behind Taj in the rotation.

If you felt Dieng would produce Round 6-7 value this year, then you were clearly higher on him than most people, especially since you said there was no concern about him being undraftable.