NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Collins 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has 2 fumbles in 25 carries... that's god awful.  If he doesn't fix it quick then those guys rushing for 0 yards look like more appealing options than the guy fumbling the ball away at clip of 1 in every 12.5 carries.

No question he's talented.  Could have a chance to be a solid RB2 with upside if he can fix it.  At least until Woodhead comes back, and then with Woodhead's track record again later in the season...

Edited by Gabbed
5 minutes ago, Gabbed said:

He has 2 fumbles in 25 carries... that's god awful.  If he doesn't fix it quick then those guys rushing for 0 yards look like more appealing options than the guy fumbling the ball away at clip of 1 in every 12.5 carries.

No question he's talented.  Could have a chance to be a solid RB2 with upside if he can fix it.  At least until Woodhead comes back, and then with Woodhead's track record again later in the season...

Isn't Woody out until at least week 11?  I saw some advocating to pick Woodhead up.  In leagues without an IR spot and relatively short benches, no way that's a feasible option.  I'm going to hold one more week and see what Harbaugh says.  But I don't think I can trust this guy at all in my lineup.  

12 minutes ago, CooL said:

Isn't Woody out until at least week 11?  I saw some advocating to pick Woodhead up.  In leagues without an IR spot and relatively short benches, no way that's a feasible option.  I'm going to hold one more week and see what Harbaugh says.  But I don't think I can trust this guy at all in my lineup.  

Yeah, Woodhead is eligible in week 11, Nov 16.  I'm definitely holding and hoping he doesn't fumble away his shot.

12 minutes ago, CooL said:

stash woodhead if u have a IR slot wk10 is the ravens bye so  I would target him for a free pickup around the bye

I don't know why everyone is worried about Woodhead taking production away from Collins when he comes back, they are different types of players. Collins was never much of a receiving back. He should have no problem keeping West on the bench as long as he can stop putting the ball on the ground. Fumbles are obviously a major cause of concern and the Ravens are a bad offense so I would not go break the bank on him but luckily fumbling issues can be fixed (otherwise he is going to have a very short NFL career).

12 minutes ago, metalmat said:

I don't know why everyone is worried about Woodhead taking production away from Collins when he comes back, they are different types of players. Collins was never much of a receiving back. He should have no problem keeping West on the bench as long as he can stop putting the ball on the ground. Fumbles are obviously a major cause of concern and the Ravens are a bad offense so I would not go break the bank on him but luckily fumbling issues can be fixed (otherwise he is going to have a very short NFL career).

I think as long as the Ravens are in the game every week this guy rides the bench. As soon as they go down by 21 he becomes an every down back

So I think we can put it in ink that he gets 3 quarters of action to himself every single week

9 hours ago, martinjlm said:

He'll be gone by week 8-9 folks.

Unless you play in a very deep league I don't think there will be a rush on Woodhead. Injury prone guy coming back late in the season for a horrible offense? Not exactly the ideal stash. 

Collins is a pretty impressive runner but Harbaugh doesn't mess around with fumbles and the Ravens are probably gonna be playing from behind quite often. Thinking I may just cut bait entirely from this backfield, upside just isn't there.

This guy may go the way of Matt Jones. Good talent, but a future journeyman due to the d*ickfingers. It's a shame, because he's clearly a better, more explosive runner than the other Ravens backs. I could've really used him as a plug-in this week with the Carson injury and byes hitting. Pickings are getting slim. 

1 hour ago, metalmat said:

but luckily fumbling issues can be fixed (otherwise he is going to have a very short NFL career).

I don't disagree with this but I also don't think it can be fixed overnight. Especially since everyone knows he has a problem and will be trying to rip it out on every carry. On his long run last weekend the guy who caught him from behind tried to punch it out and Collins got lucky he missed the ball. It looks like he doesn't hold the ball close enough to his body which is recipe for disaster in the NFL. It's a shame because if Collins could seize control of the backfield he actually looks good enough to do some damage.

Edited by owenmills

Fantasy is a one a week at a time sort of thing.  Collins has averaged 9.1 y/c over his past two games.  He started over west last game and received the lions share of the carries.  Yes, he fumbled and that is cause for concern but you wait and see what happens next week.

Edited by mikeflavaz

Looks like he is the man.  Harbaugh did publicly say that he needs to hold onto the ball because that won't fly in Baltimore.  He needs to string together some games of fumble-free football and the backfield is his.  Very short leash. 

2 hours ago, mjagger42 said:

This guy may go the way of Matt Jones. Good talent, but a future journeyman due to the d*ickfingers. It's a shame, because he's clearly a better, more explosive runner than the other Ravens backs. I could've really used him as a plug-in this week with the Carson injury and byes hitting. Pickings are getting slim. 

no satisfaction out on the wire, eh Mick?

i think this kid Collins can be hot stuffbut those fumbles may prove to be a real heartbreaker here - he needs to develop some sticky fingers. 

the game of ww RBs is akin to tumbling dice, and you can't always get what you want ... let's see what the hand of fate has in store. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

Let's say this guy drinks a potion tonight that allows him to never fumble again...

He's still not an overly interesting add as a 2-down thumper on a horrible offense with a crowded backfield. It's possible he emerges with a 2 down role and puts up flex numbers but I'm not betting on it. 

29 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Looks like he is the man.  Harbaugh did publicly say that he needs to hold onto the ball because that won't fly in Baltimore.  He needs to string together some games of fumble-free football and the backfield is his.  Very short leash. 

Until woodhead returns collins is a good stash until the ravens figure out how they are going to move the ball and put points on the board. Currenlt their offense is a complete failure across the board.  i don't think Harbaugh is married to any rb or use of them until he gets the results he wants. right now no rb is taking control and giving him the results, so it's still wide open

Edited by dashoe

I was early on the Collins train, but I'm jumping off in any but my deepest leagues.  Ball security is going to continue to plague this guy, and it will rear its ugly head when you and I need him most.  He's going to need quite a bit of time to improve in that area, and then he'll need even more time to convince the league that he's improved in that area. 

Lotto tickets are one thing.  Lotto tickets with deep seeded, chronic ball security issues (in a league that exposes them) is quite another thing. 

Edited by Rolling Thunder

Sucks he coughed it up. If he hadn't, it looked like he was on his way to 15-20 touches.

Now we're right back where we were yesterday morning, maybe even a little worse.

He still showed some stuff and he may still end up taking the early down job. Most of the RBs that are going to be hot on the WW this week is already rostered so I'll likely hold. 

Edited by yahyahtrick
3 hours ago, yahyahtrick said:

Sucks he coughed it up. If he hadn't, it looked like he was on his way to 15-20 touches.

Now we're right back where we were yesterday morning, maybe even a little worse.

He still showed some stuff and he may still end up taking the early down job. Most of the RBs that are going to be hot on the WW this week is already rostered so I'll likely hold. 

He did get another 50 yards after the fumble fwiw.