NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Collins 2017 Season Outlook

The self-aggrandizing posts in this thread have caused severe eye-roll injuries to several innocent members who came here believing that they might learn something about Alex Collins. Those posts have been removed. Please...stay on topic.

cc8051b82c5a98d5d8fca21eee766c05--marty-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one more person talks about his fumbling, I swear! We're gonna jinx him. Let's just see how it plays out on Sunday. He might already be in the doghouse and we see West start on Sunday. Then he's a drop.

Edited by martinjlm
21 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

If one more person talks about his fumbling, I swear! We're gonna jinx him. Let's just see how it plays out on Sunday. He might already be in the doghouse and we see West start on Sunday. Then he's a drop.

Scram

6 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

He's just the guy to gash the Manuel-led Raiders all afternoon long.  Not convinced they can hold up to a full-on ground assault, and the Ravens need to re-establish their identity.

I agree and may end up starting him due to bye/injury desperation. As has been discussed here ad nauseum though the fumbling terrifies me. I think it's 50/50 between him having a really good game or giving you close to zero(or negative) after putting the ball on the ground and getting benched. 

Edited by owenmills

Most Collins owners will be apprehensive about starting him this week, leave him on the bench, and he’ll go off for 175/2 with zero fumbles.

Next week Collins owners will start him with confidence and he’ll get 3 carries for 17 yards then get benched for fumbling. 

4 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Most Collins owners will be apprehensive about starting him this week, leave him on the bench, and he’ll go off for 175/2 with zero fumbles.

Next week Collins owners will start him with confidence and he’ll get 3 carries for 17 yards then get benched for fumbling. 

Awww....it appears you've played this game before huh?

4 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

With the way my season is going he'll go off for 175/2 this week on my bench, then I'll start him next week and he'll get injured on the second play of the game. <_<

Collins started his career as the first true freshman in SEC history to rush for 300 yards in his first three games.[5] Splitting time with Jonathan Williams, he finished the year with 1,026 rushing yards on 190 carries with four touchdowns.[6] For his play he was named the SEC Freshman of the Year.[7]

In his sophomore season, Collins ran for 1,100 yards and 12 touchdowns on 204 carries, while still splitting time with Williams. He also helped lead Arkansas to a Texas Bowl victory over the Texas Longhorns.

Williams went down with an injury before Collins' junior season, so he became the featured back in Bret Bielema's offense. On November 7, 2015, Alex became only the third player in SEC history to rush for 1000 plus yards in 3 seasons (Herschel Walker, Darren McFadden).

Collins finished his junior season with a career-high 1,577 yards and a school-record 20 rushing touchdowns. He was named second-team all-SEC, mostly because Alabama's Derrick Henry and LSU's Leonard Fournette outrushed him and were All-Americans. Collins led Arkansas to a Liberty Bowl victory over Kansas State on January 2, 2016. He finished the game with 185 yards and three rushing touchdowns, earning MVP honors.

Collins is second on the Razorback career rushing yards list (3,703), behind only Darren McFadden (4,590).

Team with the lowest passing yards per game in the league, and a bad o-line, and a fumbling issue....Some upside, but no thanks to that mess. Their won't be any consistency to it. Just flipped Collins/Cousins for Shepard/Mixon

I am going to start this guy in at least one league just so I'm in on the fun in Oakland, but truth be told, it is hard to see how a rookie with his long history of ball security problems stands a chance in the harsh realities of the NFL (where real men practice making you fumble).  Can you imagine what the opposition's D team meetings are like heading into a Ravens game?  Every guy on that side of ball is energized to strip when they see Collins staring at them from the backfield.  Kid has such a steep hill to climb to get all those seasoned vultures to back off.

2 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I am going to start this guy in at least one league just so I'm in on the fun in Oakland, but truth be told, it is hard to see how a rookie with his long history of ball security problems stands a chance in the harsh realities of the NFL (where real men practice making you fumble).  Can you imagine what the opposition's D team meetings are like heading into a Ravens game?  Every guy on that side of ball is energized to strip when they see Collins staring at them from the backfield.  Kid has such a steep hill to climb to get all those seasoned vultures to back off.

Yep they're already doing it. On his long run towards the end of last game the defender who caught him from behind clearly made it a priority to punch at the ball while he was trying to bring him down

4 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Good thing he is not a rookie, he has played in plyoff games already in his nfl career.

Just now, owenmills said:

Yep they're already doing it. On his long run towards the end of last game the defender who caught him from behind clearly made it a priority to punch at the ball while he was trying to bring him down

He has such a big target on his back.  When a D can smell turnovers, it's like blood in the water to sharks.  Until he goes a very, very long spell without putting the ball on the ground, everone will just keep coming at him.

4 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Not that it really matters, but not a rookie. Was drafted by Seattle last year

i think this is the game to start him if you have the stones to do so. Boom or bust of the highest degree, but at least there will be some resolution after Sunday as to his ROS value

2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

And he was unsucessful that time, so the DB recognized it was Collins, knew he was a fumbler and tried to strip it? 

Thats just a tactic employed by all defenders.

2 hours ago, Novaray said:

Dropped West for Collins and holding him on my bench this week.  Seems like West is either playing hurt or just sucks

I'm going to say the latter. Collins deserves this job given what he's shown. But if he can't man up, then it's going to go back to West.

Tempering expectations is that whether or not he holds on to the ball, it's moot if overrated and overpa

14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

And he was unsucessful that time, so the DB recognized it was Collins, knew he was a fumbler and tried to strip it? 

Thats just a tactic employed by all defenders.

If you think teams don't scout players and hone in on certain guys weaknesses then I don't know what to say. They will be trying harder to strip the ball from Collins, knowing very well he has issues