NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alex Collins 2017 Season Outlook

9 minutes ago, cutter311 said:

Tiki is a good call...In seasons w/ over 100 carries, Tiki fumbled once every: 45, 24, 21, 34, 31, 64, 357, 109 carries...It can be fixed...but will it?

Well, the good news is the head coach think its fixable. That's a start.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-alex-collins-fumbling-issues-are-correctable-20171002-story.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm starting collins with confidence.

no derek carr for raiders = finally a postive gameflow situation, potentially. I think ravens get revenge for their past couple terrible weeks. ball out this week and come back to reality next week.

But for this week, something like 44-14, 

25 carries 157 yards, 2 TD

let me dream, anyways

47 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Here's the important part of the linked story:

"After a brief pause, Harbaugh said: “I say this: we can’t be turning the ball over. That’s just it. That’s not the way we’re going to win games around here. I don’t think too many teams are. If any player doesn’t get it done, it’s going to be a problem. If we want to win, we’ve got to hold on to the football.”"

3 minutes ago, jspeed said:

"After a brief pause, Harbaugh said: “I say this: we can’t be turning the ball over. That’s just it. That’s not the way we’re going to win games around here. I don’t think too many teams are. If any player doesn’t get it done, it’s going to be a problem. If we want to win, we’ve got to hold on to the football.”"

Sure that's an important part. But I think we already knew he was on a short leash based upon his fumble history in college, his exile from Seattle and a pair of fumbles in Baltimore.

The most important part, I think, is that the coach think it's fixable. Translation: "we are committed to helping this man succeed because he is the best RB on the roster." It also means he will be given a chance to win the job. I admit, Collins has no guarantees to win the job and/or keep the job. But he is going to get the opportunity. 

We'll see.

3 minutes ago, jspeed said:

Sure that's an important part. But I think we already knew he was on a short leash based upon his fumble history in college, his exile from Seattle and a pair of fumbles in Baltimore.

The most important part, I think, is that the coach think it's fixable. Translation: "we are committed to helping this man succeed because he is the best RB on the roster." It also means he will be given a chance to win the job. I admit, Collins has no guarantees to win the job and/or keep the job. But he is going to get the opportunity. 

We'll see.

This kid's thread keeps getting bumped to the top of page 1 and is hotter than the Sahara desert.  I keep coming in here thinking that there's some breaking news that they brought in Tiki Barber as a special consultant, that they've found some way to conceal the use of stick-um, or that Terrence West has been cut.

Instead, I'm sifting through a lot of posts about what other marginal RB options people are benching for this fumble prone kid.  Seriously, nobody cares about your team.  We don't care about your injuries or bye situation.  

The prudent thing would be to take a wait and see approach with this raw exciting talent who has one serious flaw in his game.  Let's see if he can make it through a game first without putting the ball on the ground and getting benched for good.  But if you are forced to start him and want validation that you are making the right decision, then take it to the AC forum.

24 minutes ago, CooL said:

This kid's thread keeps getting bumped to the top of page 1 and is hotter than the Sahara desert.  I keep coming in here thinking that there's some breaking news that they brought in Tiki Barber as a special consultant, that they've found some way to conceal the use of stick-um, or that Terrence West has been cut.

Instead, I'm sifting through a lot of posts about what other marginal RB options people are benching for this fumble prone kid.  Seriously, nobody cares about your team.  We don't care about your injuries or bye situation.  

The prudent thing would be to take a wait and see approach with this raw exciting talent who has one serious flaw in his game.  Let's see if he can make it through a game first without putting the ball on the ground and getting benched for good.  But if you are forced to start him and want validation that you are making the right decision, then take it to the AC forum.

u are absolutely right too much csb me me me talk for my taste 

14 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Just traded him and Kelvin for Henry and Dak in a dynasty.

nice follow up

21 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Just traded him and Kelvin for Henry and Dak in a dynasty.

Who in their right mind would ever accept a trade like this? Collins could be a practice squad guy next year if he continues to fumble.  Henry has the keys to the backfield by next year if not this season and Dak is Dak.  

29 minutes ago, Can't Win said:

Beat me to it.. picked him up yesterday as depth.. surprised he was available with the amount of injuries.... hoping for anything. 

Well that's what i find interesting is that given the amt of rb injuries he is on many wires and the blogs making him a wire add the last couple of weeks

One can conclude the general consensus is Collins is not fantasy relevant or the ravens are not that good or BOTH

Edited by dashoe
1 hour ago, CooL said:

You do realize that it's not a mandatory requirement that you click on threads at the top of a forum...right?

18 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

You do realize that it's not a mandatory requirement that you click on threads at the top of a forum...right?

hes right though people talk about their teams on this forum too much 

this thread is about Collins. period.  not everyone elses teams   

no one gives a sh*t who you picked up or traded for 

31 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

*Gets called out for making useless posts

*Responds by making another useless post

This board has been a cesspool this week. He's absolutely right, literally nobody cares about your team. We're here for news. 

20 minutes ago, aadam said:

hes right though people talk about their teams on this forum too much 

this thread is about Collins. period.  not everyone elses teams   

no one gives a sh*t who you picked up or traded for 

8 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

*Gets called out for making useless posts

*Responds by making another useless post

This board has been a cesspool this week. He's absolutely right, literally nobody cares about your team. We're here for news. 

A cessspool? Haha

You may have heard of this little site....www.google.com....try that for "news"

Most of us are here for the entertainment value and small talk....and maybe a little bit of usually useless news.

Playing control freak and or Forum Police is no fun....I find it easier to sift through the things I don't get excited about to find the things I'm looking for...try it sometime bud.

I wish Harbaugh would ride Collins through 1 fumble, 2 fumbles in a game and you are benched. Would do a world of good to pump his confidence up after 1 fumble. "we are still with ya kid, we believe in you and we need you, remember what we taught you in practice, we are gonna go right back to you, now don't f*****g do it again!"

I just think its counterproductive to bench your best RB due to 1 fumble, it gets in the players head and theu can overthink it, especially when they get straight benched.

Looking at collins production on his carries would make me want to help him turn his problem around, some positive reinforcement could help.

He fumbled and set up a TD for pitt but he was also the only reason on the entire offseason that yhey had a legit shot at winning that game in the end.

2 fumbles in a game and i woukd have to bench you but id like to see Harbaugh take him after a fumble, pump him up and put him right back in and see how he responds.

Last week collins fumbles, causing 7 points off the turnover, proceeds to get benched till they go down 12 more points with no production from other rbs, then put collins back in and he rips off a 50 yarder and immediately puts them in the RedZone, he could have done that much sooner in the game if you stuck with him.

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I wish Harbaugh would ride Collins through 1 fumble, 2 fumbles in a game and you are benched. Would do a world of good to pump his confidence up after 1 fumble. "we are still with ya kid, we believe in you and we need you, remember what we taught you in practice, we are gonna go right back to you, now don't f*****g do it again!"

I just think its counterproductive to bench your best RB due to 1 fumble, it gets in the players head and theu can overthink it, especially when they get straight benched.

Looking at collins production on his carries would make me want to help him turn his problem around, some positive reinforcement could help.

He fumbled and set up a TD for pitt but he was also the only reason on the entire offseason that yhey had a legit shot at winning that game in the end.

2 fumbles in a game and i woukd have to bench you but id like to see Harbaugh take him after a fumble, pump him up and put him right back in and see how he responds.

Last week collins fumbles, causing 7 points off the turnover, proceeds to get benched till they go down 12 more points with no production from other rbs, then put collins back in and he rips off a 50 yarder and immediately puts them in the RedZone, he could have done that much sooner in the game if you stuck with him.

I agree with you....it's that old "I'll show you...by screwing myself" principal that almost never makes sense.

23 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

I agree with you....it's that old "I'll show you...by screwing myself" principal that almost never makes sense.

I've always felt that the standard fumble=death penalty philosophy has been bizarre. I suppose coaches take such a hard stance because they feel that if they don't then RBs won't cling the ball for dear life.

But look at Hunt on opening night. Fumbles immediately in his first game ever, Reid puts him right back in and the guy bursts into flame and becomes a god. What if he had benched him and gave him the silent treatment all night to prove a point?