NBC Sports Edge Forums

New single season homerun record broken (not bonds)

7 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Just like this year, SP is going to be over-drafted (ADP) and you will be reaching. Unless MLB does something about the ball as baseball is looking like the PED era. Records become meaningless which is what seems to be happening.

Doesn't look anything like the PED era.  Then the honest players who didn't cheat got shafted and it was an uneven playing field that favored the cheaters. 

But now it is a perfectly level playing field since all hitters have an equal chance at these baseballs.  All the home run fun of the PED era but now it doesn't punish the good, honest guys since it is a level playing field.  It is a win-win.

And the baseball wouldn't have had to been changed if we didn't have all those stupid shifts making 1-0 zzzzzz "deadball era style" games and destroying baseball in the process.

11 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Just like this year, SP is going to be over-drafted (ADP) and you will be reaching. Unless MLB does something about the ball as baseball is looking like the PED era. Records become meaningless which is what seems to be happening.

so you are saying you SHOULD reach for pitching?

26 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Not drafting EE or guys like him early anymore that's for sure. I can find guys like that 5-8 rounds later. 

but wouldnt a guy like EE's numbers go up accordingly too?

so if 25 home guys are now 35 homer guys....then 40 homer guys are 50 homer guys?

10 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

I wasn't saying anything about drafts.  I play dynasty.  I don't do re-draft leagues.  They bore me totally.  My only drafts are mini ones where maybe 2 or 3 players tops added or dropped in any season for me.  In dynasty pitching is always hard to find as a result.  You have to go the prospect route or trade prospects to rebuilding teams for vet pitchers.  Nothing changing for me.  Same old same old.

And a good pitcher can still pitch well with this baseball.  Hell I just watched a game where both Pomeranz and Gausman (of all people) didn't give up a run at all and the game was decided 1-0 in the 11th inning.  Just thankfully they are no longer the norm because man it was boring to watch.

BTW I think next year they will probably tinker with the ball again to get things to more a norm before defensive shifts ruined the game.  If they err I hope it will be on the home run side though.  It has been a fun season.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I wasn't saying anything about drafts.  I play dynasty.  I don't do re-draft leagues.  They bore me totally.  My only drafts are mini ones where maybe 2 or 3 players tops added or dropped in any season for me.  In dynasty pitching is always hard to find as a result.  You have to go the prospect route or trade prospects to rebuilding teams for vet pitchers.  Nothing changing for me.  Same old same old.

And a good pitcher can still pitch well with this baseball.  Hell I just watched a game where both Pomerance and Gausman (of all people) didn't give up a run at all and the game was decided 1-0 in the 11th inning.  Just thankfully they are no longer the norm because man it was boring to watch.

BTW I think next year they will probably tinker with the ball again to get things to more a norm before defensive shifts ruined the game.  If they err I hope it will be on the home run side though.  It has been a fun season.

i know i was talking to low and away....no worries

12 minutes ago, exaulz said:

My strategy will remain the same as the last couple years - draft aces early and often and pick up the Judge/Hoskins/Smoaks for free. 

might have to switch up to this....i usually avoid SP because of the injury risk, but i really think i have to reconsider this

22 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Last time I looked there was close to 120 players with 20+ HR on the season. Pitching has become the premium position. I have one keeper team where you keep 6 with round plus one. I have seven offensive players that I should keep. But going to build with Scherzer and Sale neither which I had planned on keeping. At the present Mookie is one of the odd man out. His stats over the year can be replaced.  And my first pick next Spring will be another starting pitcher. And maybe my second pick. Other leagues and settings might not work that way but this one also has a 30 inning min. and got tired of scrambling for pitchers every week.

I waited on pitching (didn't draft a pitcher until the 7th round) and am currently on my way to a fantasy championship. When you have lethal bats and add in the Hoskins/Olson's it makes your hitters practically untouchable. 

7 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

I waited on pitching (didn't draft a pitcher until the 7th round) and am currently on my way to a fantasy championship. When you have lethal bats and add in the Hoskins/Olson's it makes your hitters practically untouchable. 

Yes but I have the same chance of picking up the Hoskins, Bellinger, and Olson as you do.

1 minute ago, Low and Away said:

Yes but I have the same chance of picking up the Hoskins, Bellinger, and Olson as you do.

I picked up Zack Godley, Brad Peacock, and Luke Weaver off waivers too. There's waiver gems on both sides of the spectrum.

This season hasn't changed my draft strategy a whole lot. I always try to get a top 8 starting pitcher in the 1st 4 rounds. I then get an SP2 in rounds 6-8 then fill out the rest of my rotation with high upside, young starters the rest of the way. The one area I will pay a little more to next year is speed. I think all of my teams are below average in steals so next year I'll be targeting the Turners and Altuves in round 1 and so on. It's been another year of closer carousels so I'll continue to invest minimally there in drafts and try to pick up the next Knebel, Rivero, etc on the waiver wire. Oh, and I'll continue to pay close attention to the Minor League forum to get a jump on all the prospects. I still owe the guy who posted that Rhys Hoskins was getting called up!

Edited by meh2

Brillant but the point is anything you pick up on waivers so can I or the other managers in the league. You will not always get the "gems" of FA. And if you are you need to get into a more active league or a larger league. 

But this is just my opinion. And like a$$holes everyone has one and in fantasy, there is no best method of setting up a team.

I still like to wait on SPs. I dont want to draft a Scherzer and then lose him to TJS. This season I waited and got DeGrom and Hendricks as my aces and then targeted young upside guys like Salazar and Paxton. Picked up Severino and Ray when Hendricks and Salazar bombed. 

Going to do the same next season.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Brillant but the point is anything you pick up on waivers so can I or the other managers in the league. You will not always get the "gems" of FA. And if you are you need to get into a more active league or a larger league. 

But this is just my opinion. And like a$$holes everyone has one and in fantasy, there is no best method of setting up a team.

That's the point I was trying to make. Whether you go pitching early or hitting early, you can always find players on the wire throughout the season to fill in your holes. You can always find the gems if you're ahead of the game, too. You may not get all of them, but you'll get a good amount. It doesn't matter how active the league is, and it only ever doesn't work if you're in an incredibly deep league. I like my leagues deep, but not to the point where they're boring as f***. 

Edited by lbjames6
9 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Depends on your league and who the other owners are.  You just have to do more research and strike earlier before the other owners notice.  That's how I got the likes of Josh Donaldson, Jacob deGrom, Carlos Carrasco etc.  That's how I got Rhys Hoskins and Zach Godley (barring last night) and Luis Castilla and Matt Olsen this year.  I already picked up Austin Hays for next year in a couple of my dynasties. 

Got to be willing to pull the trigger early.  If you are wrong on someone then drop the wrong one and get a right one next time.  It isn't rocket science.  It is the early bird gets the worm.  It is also canary in the coal mine in that if someone scores a up and coming player ahead of me in my deepest league I'm in I am likely to target that player immediately in the next deepest etc. tp prevent losing them there as well.

Again this is all about dynasty leagues.  Like there are far less rage drops and impatience with a rookie in dynasties because you can lose a guy forever.  Redrafts are a lot easier to throw away players in so it is much much easier to pick up players on the fly there.

On 9/20/2017 at 12:01 AM, jfazz23 said:

but wouldnt a guy like EE's numbers go up accordingly too?

so if 25 home guys are now 35 homer guys....then 40 homer guys are 50 homer guys?

Not really. Prob around same numbers he usually has.  Anyway I ended up scoring on waiver guys like Hoskins, Judge and Zimmerman this year so EE's numbers are easily replaceable. Now drafting a guy like Gary I will keep doing again and again. 

Chew on this. 

G. Love and the Special Sanchez is lapping the competition for best catcher.  On our Player Rater, he’s pushing $30 of value, and the next closest isn’t even at $20.  Also, his value per game is $23; there’s only two other guys above $10.  Also, he’s in the top 20 overall for fantasy value with every position included.

On 9/20/2017 at 11:24 AM, Armalite said:

Sb's are the money stat now. I've done well hoarding the speed players (Turner, Hamilton, Gordon) 

If you are starting 2 SB guys w/o power in this age of easy power. You win SBs, but your other hitting categories your less optimized because power is so easy to find for your peers to load a lineup. While you choose to have 2 less. The Value of the SBs is worth more for sure though

What the real money is finding the good hitters who also steal bags.  Tommy Pham and Whit Merrifield were this years true WW hitting Gems.

On 9/20/2017 at 8:22 AM, svtballa said:

10 team roto I am firmly on my way to a championship.  I waited on pitching as well and ended up with a staff of.  Carrasco/Greinke/Nola/Robbie/Serevino/Dallas

Il admit u did really well if u drafted that staff,  but this strategy of waiting on SP in Roto is very difficult to sustain or rely on year after year. The ratio stats ,especially WHIP, from upper echelon SP are unmatched. Plus they log 200+ innings which is a somewhat significant amount of your overall IP.  Trying to make up ground in WHIP is probably the toughest/ slowest changing stat and least available on the waiver unlike Ks or saves. Good WHIP is usually reflected thru ERA and Ks also. 

Looking at my Roto draft and had Sale, Lester, and Sanchez as keepers. The first SP was Harvey in round 14.Moore, Rhodon, and Strailly rounded out my draft. The only one left is Sale. Pretty sad draft for a 10 team league. Pitching cats are IP(200start max), K, W, Era, Whip, And  k/9.  Currently, have 10's across the board with 14 starts to go.  

Made a bad trade of Bellinger (didn't believe) for King Felix/ Cargo ( believed too much).

Made a great trade of Harvey for Gio

But have a110 points out of 120 possible. 

Streamed both hitting and pitching all season.